Line and Reel recommendations for High wind, light bait, sharp coral, BIG TOOTHY FISH in saltwater situations

limeyangler

Hi all,

Heading back to Antigua in January. Will only be fishing a couple of spots that i'm familiar with. Both shore venues, both very rocky (sharp coral too). The winds are very strong that time of year so need to be able to fire fairly light clacking raps at least 50yrds.

There are some MASSIVE fish that will hit the clacking raps, lost both my lures to successive fish last time I was there, snapped me off like a knife through butter using #30 braid. I was using wire leaders.

I'm pretty confident an extra 20# test strength with the drag set right should see me through, as long as the braid i'm using can withstand the rock and coral.

Could go the mono route but then line diameter and casting becomes an issue I would think. My goal is to stay as light as possible while actually being able to land a big one.

Was thinking of trying a baitcasting reel with heavy braid. Baitcast virgin here. :blush:

I'm a southpaw so need a left hand reel...Abu Garcia Black Max perhaps?

Any thoughts?

Edited by limeyangler

sounds like maybe 10 - 15 foot of heavy flouro leader maybe the way to go? If you're new to baitcasters, start practicing now, though. I am finally starting to be able to have outings without the birds nesting in my reel every third or fourth cast - and when you are reaching for distance in the wind - well that's when I spend the most time asking why I ever thought one of these darn snarlfing confounded, aggravatin' things would be worth learning. ;)

Sounds like an awesome get away in the deeps of winter - and its on my bucket list for big water sport fish too - look forward to the report

50lb braid and light baits? That's going to be a lot of fun, lol.

15-20lb Fireline, a good flouro lead and go have fun. Sure you'll bust some fish off but it doesn't matter if you're running 100lb braid, coral will rip that to shreds as well.

50lb braid and light baits? That's going to be a lot of fun, lol.

15-20lb Fireline, a good flouro lead and go have fun. Sure you'll bust some fish off but it doesn't matter if you're running 100lb braid, coral will rip that to shreds as well.

50lb braid is only 12lb mono diameter.....casts no problem with a clackin rap on a spinning reel.

15-20lb fireline is done just reeling in the clacking rap in rocks and coral with toothy fish.......without the fish.

S.

I use a shimano 8000 baitrunner spinning reel with 50lb power pro, use big popper 5"+ a lot to keep baits up high. And the longer bait seems to help keep leaders out of the teeth.Cudas cut through 100lb floro like nothing, I started using the tufline wire lead material

IMG_20141020_182626_edit_zps4f040fce.png

Edited by Bondar

I use a shimano 8000 baitrunner spinning reel with 50lb power pro, use big popper 5"+ a lot to keep baits up high. And the longer bait seems to help keep leaders out of the teeth.Cudas cut through 100lb floro like nothing, I started using the tufline wire lead material

IMG_20141020_182626_edit_zps4f040fce.png

That looks like a nice friendly fish lol.,Must be a blast to catch those REAL toothy fishes!!!

Wire leader is a must. There are lots of white tip reef sharks about, last year a guy caught ( and killed….not good) a baby thresher shark. I did not have much luck at all…..but have a better idea of what lures to use. I will have a few top waters in my arsenal but the waves and swells (unto 6 feet high) made that method next to impossible. I could find some sheltered spots but with time limited and socializing to do I am kind of stuck on the windward side of the island.