60hp 4stroke EFI MERCURY BIG FOOT ON A LUND

FishOn

I just wanted to get some opinion from the board members that are running Mercury 4 stroke Big Foot on their aluminum or fibber glass boats. Or anyone else that has knowledge on these outboards. I am thinking of buying a 2009 Lund Rebel 1625 Sport Full Windshield rated for 75hp, that has a 2008 Mercury 60hp 4 stroke EFI Big Foot on it. I know the lower gear cases are bigger on these outboards 2.33 . Also the shaft length is longer by a 2.5" I think. Anyways, will I be happy with this outboard on the Lund? I am thinking the hole shot will be excellent because of the torque but will it strugle at top speed ? Any opinions on this!

Thanks to all.

Edited by FishOn

I am not buying to resell this boat. I am keeping this for myself. Its a Lund and in great shape all around. Fits in my garage which is a bonus, but not sure about the Big Foot outboard on the back.

Edited by FishOn

Disclaimer ******** I do not have any experience with the 60 bug foot ******

I was asking about an 115hp etec on another board and comparing top speeds between it and my 75hp merc fourstroke. My merc also runs the 2.33 gears on a 19 foot bass tracker 190tx and with a 19p prop, I am only 5moh slower than the 115 with 2.01:1 gears.

If you are concerned about top end, keep in mind that the 2.33 will allow you to run a higher pitched prop while the gearing will still give you a good hole shot. A water test is still a good idea though to make sure you are happy.

My 75 with a 17p prop will push this 19 foot boat to about 37mph on GPS at 5500rpm. In the cooler months, I can run a 19p prop on it and hit 40mph on GPS at about 5200rpm. It would go faster if I could trim it any higher without blowing out.

With that info, I can't see you having any issues running a 60 on the back of a 1625 even if it does have a full windshield.

Adam

Thanks Adam. I will try to see if I can take it for a water test tomorrow. Solid outboards that's for sure. Made to take a lot of beating on the water. But, I always thought they were made more for pontoons and utility boats. People that will use them in lakes that have lots of rocks, weeds, drift wood etc.

I know when they first came out, I talked to the mechanic I use at raisin river marine on Lake st. Francis and they were using them on the Lunds as well as pontoons. He told me it was built to be stronger because merc was having issues with the torque bending shafts.

It does make sense from what you are hearing as Lake St. Francis has a lot of shoals that are unmarked. It only sounds like yet another advantage to the bug foot.

I forgot to mention that all speeds quoted are with an aluminum prop. I haven't bit the SS bullet yet because I am scared of what might happen should I hit an underwater ubstruction. Even the 115 quoted is using a. Aluminum for the same reason but should you want 1-3 mph more, that is easily attainable with a SS prop. You can also add cup to a SS which helps bite into water where as it is a little harder to do this with aluminum.

There are always pros and cons to everything. You just have to pic what is more important to you.

Good luck!

A younger pal has a 60 Big foot on a 17" Lund, he says it's underpowered and wants a 115 4 stroke so he can tear off his transom. He has boosted HP up to 70 HP easily with some fuel air tweeks and says he can get 75HP with some aftermarket doodad. He always wants to go faster and we always get to the same spot with me putting along at 3500 RPM but I do have a 115 on a much heavier 19 footer. Why the need to max out RPM always has me shaking my head now as I'm older and poorer. Run 3/4 of max RPM and you will still get to where you are going with change in your pocket for the next fill up. And the engine will last forever. Easy for me to say now that I'm 60. I had a 70 Stingray with a 454 4 banger, I remember the need for speed. If your looking for speed buy something faster than a 60. Good luck on the purchase.

Wouldn't running a higher pitched prop counter-act the lower gear ratio?

It depends what your goal is I would assume. The lower gear ratio would produce more torque which results in you being able to spin a larger prop. My busy has issues turning a 19p prop on a 115 with 2.01:1 gear ratio while I have no issues doing it at all. The reason is because I have a higher gear, my 75 produces enough torque to turn the prop while his 2.01:1 struggles.

If you under prop that motor, you will get an insane whole shot but if you prop it correctly, your holeshot will take a little beating, but you would probably get the same speed as say a 75 with a lower gear ratio.

Adam

Well even though you have tried it .My buddy has that same boat with a 60 Merc bigfoot tiller .I don't see a difference honestly from a regular 60 this model he is getting 33 to 34 mph 2 ppl and gear .I have an older lund 1660 Classic its basically the same set up exact same hull I run a 60 Yamaha tiller and I really see no difference between my friends boat and mine .even with the bigfoot it takes the same amount of time to plane and we have similar top speed.Enjoy the new ride.

Alone in the boat with a full tank of gas lol. Hole shot was incredible fast and plained of very quickly. Top speed and that's not pushing the rpm's or revving the engine crazy... 35mph. For a Lund 1625 Sport that was fast enough. These boats are only rated for 75hp max. I am no expert on Outboards but, the prop on the Mercury is huge. Something you would see on a 115 hp for sure.

I don't know why some people would hasitate to install these outboards on their v -hulls. No problem here.