Which Stabil to use?

captpierre

Regular Stabil is the stuff you want for winter storage on just about anything, including lawn mowers, etc.

If you read the directions you must use Marine Stabil at twice the amount for storage and that's after paying almost twice the amount for it. No need for all that expense.

DanC might be onto something because for years I never used Stabil, I just ran all the gas out of the carb but now with gasoline having 10% alcohol I use it and then run the carbs dry.

Don't listen to people that tell you not to use stabilizer in fuel. They will likely also tell you regular oil changes aren't nessasary! LOL

Use the Ethanol treatment all season long and the regular for storage, or just use the regular stuff all year...

Edited by Pigeontroller

Looks like we are getting a wide range of opinions here. I use the blue marine stabil in every tank on the big boat. This is a 70 gallon aluminum tank on a boat that lives in the water 24/7. After 7 years I had the tank examined and there was no water damage in the tank or phase separation of ethanol from the gas. The carburetors where torn down this spring and both carb's had normal wear with no rubber damage. The fuel to the carbs are protected by filter that also are water separators. The filter which I drain every two months have not shown signs of water. Is it the result of Marine Stabil????? according to the manufacturer it does. Will I change what I am doing??? nope.

Art

Don't listen to people that tell you not to use stabilizer in fuel. They will likely also tell you regular oil changes aren't nessasary! LOL

Use the Ethanol treatment all season long and the regular for storage, or just use the regular stuff all year...

Well let's see.........DanC do you change your oil or not ? ? ?

I never have changed my oil on my snowblower or lawnmower but that was because I thought it would blow up and I would never have to cut the lawn or clean the drive again.......but that didn't work out for so far.....DAMN ! ! !

The tank in the boat is aluminum and is vented to the air. The temperature fluctuations as well as the high humidity of living at a marina makes water condensation in the tank a given. From the website of Stabil the blue marine does this

• Prevents Ethanol fuel related damage in marine engines
  • Specially formulated for use in high-moisture environments
  • Removes water from fuel to help prevent phase separation
  • Prevents corrosion caused by Ethanol and moisture
  • Cleans fuel system for improved in-season performance
  • Stabilizes fuel to keep it fresh during storage
  • For use at every fill up.

Hope this helps.

Art

Fisherman, from what I have been told it doesn't remove water from the fuel it separates it and the water evaporates. Which really is removing water from the fuel I imagine.

Then I'm told this year from the local Marine that our gas today is only good for 30 days then pockets or globules of glug form in the tank. So now what?

I use 2 plus 4 during the season then use a few cans of Seafoam in September depending on useage. It has worked for me, one crank in the spring and bang start up. Maybe because it's a 20 year old Merc Mariner and never use regular gas, maybe because I do what I do, probably because I'm lucky.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It doesn't really "remove" water from your tank, it breaks it down in to micro droplets which are then easily burnt through engine combustion.

Stabil Marine is more expensive but you only have to use 1/3 of the amount compare to regular Stabil. so it actually works out the same $$, if not cheaper.

Star Tron fuel treatment is also very good for the same purpose.

It's a myth. Don'y buy any of them. "They" say that gas goes bad after a couple of months? Mine never does after a year and sometimes even as much as 3 years.

With the introduction of ethanol, times have changed.

For the sake of a few dollars worth of prevention, why would you take the chance?

Care for your equipment properly and it will last for years and years.

First off use ethanol free fuel. And keep the systems full.

Shell vpower is ethanol free also most marinas in canada have ethan free fuel .

Ethanol is alcohol. Its corrosive. Also most ethanol fuels have a LOT of additives to reduce corrosion and help you engine burn more fuel faster. The additives also reduce the fuels ability to absorb moisture. Since ethanol absorbs moisture its not use in marina fuel systems or boats.

For stabilizer i recommend SEAFOAM.

Ive been a bike mechanic for 20+ years and got my start in Marine engines.

seafoam has been used by the pros for years with the best results.

one benefit is its a mineral based product so it prevents rust and corrosion in your carbs and fuel system while helping stabilize the fuel octane during long storage in all climates.

as you fuel evaporates the mineral based seafoam prevents the fuel deposits from forming and hardening.

Every spring i deal with dozens of machines out of storage tbat were not properly maintained or winterized. After a cleaning and lecture about storing and preserving fuel systems