Athabasca's Holy Mackinaws.

Moosebunk

That report made me late for work AGAIN!!! The last report I did the same thing. Started reading and enjoying the photos around 10 pm next thing I know it's after 11 and I'm way past my bed time. Slept through the alarm. My boss was waaaaay ticked!

Your reports make me feel like I was right there, experiencing the fishing, the food, the nature and the laughs. Please ponder writing a book, pretty please? Your reports are much longer then the average, but not long enough... I would read a 1000 page book written by you, probably in a day or two. Only to be mad it wasnt longer. Your stories evoke envy, but a good envy. They make you appreciate all that is good.

Get in to work, fire up the laptop , log on to OFC and look - there's a new post from Moosebunk!

Quickly grab a coffee and donut, froward the phone to voice mail, close the office door and settle in for another entertaining and enthralling read.

As usual, just a fascinating report that reads like a first rate documentary with incredible pictures. Also as usual, by the time I finished reading I found myself incredibly envious.

This report was one of the longest in the making because I didn't have net access nor even a computer for the past few weeks while I was up north working, and chipping away at this between shifts. Trying to keep the story a-flow while hand-writing it out on blank paper was a chore, but it helped pass some quiet times alone. Was telling Len I was kinda disappointed with how it was going too, but in the end was happy with how it read, and am pleased to log another great trip experience into this cyber-space journal that's been going on and on and on... lol

These replies all had me grinning ear to ear today.

Besides the awesome shots your writing skills just keep getting better Bunk

Lotsa practice with some great trips this summer and solid fishing through the spring. Inspired I guess bud!?!

That 102 Lb. Lake Trout was in the Toronto museum, I remember as a kid on a class trip seeing that fish mounted.

Wonder where that is now? Have seen the replica of Lloyd Bulls 72 pounder and it's a bohemuth. Can't imagine 30 more pounds of fish with probably little extra length. That have been cool to see on a class trip, especially if you were into fishing as a kid.

Outstanding report Bunk , I really enjoyed that . That looks like some big nasty water in some of those pictures , reminds me of Georgian Bay .

I'm going to try trolling jigs next spring on my laker trips , looks like that could work well on my lakes . How deep were those jigs trolling at on

average ? I would guess they were straight down from the boat as well .

Almost everyday there was sorta big water some place at some time, if not all day. But we could still get out to where we needed to all but the one day, and the guides up there are fantastic at running their boats. All these pictures you hardly see rough water as, the camera was out when we were fishing or in calm and protected areas, not surfing rollers or beating chop. I do have a video taking a 360 view from where I stood on Cracking Stone in the big wind. It's cool, but still doesn't do things justice.

My 2-ounce jigs were trolling well and popping bottom down to 25 feet with various lengths of line out. Len would do better to 30+ with his 3 and 4-ouncers. We mostly fished in 10 to 30 fow, only sometimes poking out into 40 or so. Generally we trolled quite slow.

What made you pick that particular outfitter?

Wanted to fish this lake for a few years now, and they're reputed to be the best outfitter on it. Besides that, they're the cheapest, with the most busy and seasoned guides, and they also had a last minute spot fitting our schedule.

You made adding a trip like that to my bucket list easy. Thanks Drew!

As above Tom. You ever have any questions about there or anywhere, before going you be sure to drop me a line.

Edited by Moosebunk

there's something about those northern lakers....

We catch 20lbs+ lakers in Lake O and don't bat an eye.

But to take on of those monsters from cool northern waters, with scenery that is as magnificent as the fish....well, that's what makes a laker!

when you trolled the jigs, I'm assuming you had to spend a considerable amount of time imparting the action? was any type of action better than another? thanks for providing the depth details.

also, interesting to hear about the lodges "success" (or lack thereof) using the all welded cresties.

there's something about those northern lakers....

We catch 20lbs+ lakers in Lake O and don't bat an eye.

But to take on of those monsters from cool northern waters, with scenery that is as magnificent as the fish....well, that's what makes a laker!

when you trolled the jigs, I'm assuming you had to spend a considerable amount of time imparting the action? was any type of action better than another? thanks for providing the depth details.

also, interesting to hear about the lodges "success" (or lack thereof) using the all welded cresties.

Thanks for the reply Steve.
You know, near home here I would love to have the opportunity on Lake Ontario to share a boat with a buddy, run just two lines each with rods always in hand, catch 20, 30 and even upwards to Bren’s and my best 80 lakers in one day, and be able to do this for 6 or 7 days straight from sun up to sun down breaking only for fresh shore lunches on some pristine chunk of land. Then, come end of the day get a 5-star meal while maybe reliving with other anglers how many lakers over 20, 30 and possible to places like Bear, 40 and 50 pound fish were caught in the day, or week. (you know this year there was one 70 caught and at least 5 or 6 over 50... I hope and dream that day)
On Lake O... I think too many people feel lakers are garbage fish next to the implanted salmon, and as “greasers” probably unfit for consumption. Like you say, you barely bat an eye when you catch a good one. So you are very right, it’s the places like those in the north which make it “laker” fishing of an entirely different kind. Ask someone like Patty his take on laker differences too, of say Lake O fish versus even Nipigon fish for their power, or the several varieties that can be found up in the further north. It's these waterbodies where lakers are king... and that does take them up a notch for health, appeal and some might think even strength. He’s been blown away with me in the boat a number of times just on Nipigon, when 20 pound fish rip like a salmon and then stubbornly never come up.
Maybe “The Bar” in frigid December could cough up a magical day of similar numbers of fish with half a dozen to a dozen fish over 20 pounds, but I’d think that a very rare day and a tough sell... and would almost certainly never happen for a week straight under more spring/summer/fall-like, calm conditions. How many would you even think of wanting to eat as well?
Anyways... rambling this morning. To answer the jig question... no real action was better other than to have it hitting and tapping bottom often, while on the troll. On Athabasca at this time of the season, the guides troll slooooow (like 1.8 to 2.4mph) and shallow (like the depths said) so, hopping along bottom was do-able. No other guests that we knew of were fishing this way at all, as the guides there do well pulling other things all season long. Covering water in big spawning areas, we’d hop and drop, sometimes reel up quick a ways, then open the bail to drop, and if the boat was drifting or another was playing a fish, we’d get vertical and playful with the up-down of the jig, and all this would work at times. I’ve watched as 5 or 6 fish would follow my lure to the boat, or, see a giant sitting below a smaller fish, thinking maybe it’d steal if off your hook. On Slave earlier in the year with Bren, the jigging was very different. Very little trolling done there at all, in fact almost all drift or still-jig after finding the arcs. Much more vertical play action on the jigs too, ground and pound the bottom, racing up and down through the depths. You ice fish lakers, as it’s that kind of fishing from a boat. Nice jigging them up on bucks I tied too... sniffed a lot of glue per fish. Lol. Again, advantage to jigging or even troll-jigging was using lighter gear as well.
Thanks again for the replies peeps. Will see Chris, if Andanoo the Machi Manitou can dig up any Windigo stories next time up in Skat. And in case I forget, for Mike if reading... town to Hawley Lake has and can be done in 8 hours, usually about a full days travel.
Some extra pics from the trip...
D9-01_zpsf96e7147.jpg
D9-02_zps1084681e.jpg
D9-03_zps7addcbe9.jpg
D9-04_zps926322c1.jpg
D9-05_zps2ea61c94.jpg
D9-06_zps111fd40b.jpg
D9-07_zpsc6bc110f.jpg
D9-08_zps979043de.jpg
D9-09_zps8de0b45c.jpg
D9-10_zpsb2d6d00d.jpg
D9-11_zps9e3d8195.jpg
D9-12_zps7ffd99a9.jpg
D9-13_zps11c4843c.jpg
D9-14_zps078735b1.jpg
D9-15_zps283ca2cc.jpg
D9-16_zpsb0700dd4.jpg
D9-17_zps3d403710.jpg
D9-18_zps95cf1dfb.jpg
D9-19_zps29e4ac85.jpg
D9-20_zps8a7e57fd.jpg
D9-21_zps18150fcb.jpg
D9-22_zps111fa97b.jpg
D9-23_zps31dea78f.jpg
D9-24_zps844d09f7.jpg
D9-25_zps353116ea.jpg
D9-26_zps60ce8b62.jpg
D9-27_zps90078ebb.jpg
D9-28_zps4e977b64.jpg
D9-29_zpsd179393f.jpg
D9-30_zpsfeca69f5.jpg
D9-31_zps16242afe.jpg
D9-32_zps69e8bd4b.jpg
D9-33_zps7467b0bf.jpg
D9-34_zps4538a825.jpg
D9-35_zps5e463e0a.jpg
Edited by Moosebunk

Back from three days of rainy troutn and still dripping but this report along with a tall drink have warmed me up.

Len's big smile tells the whole story of giant lakers with a side of grayling served up along side of good company.

Another great read and pics Drew and Cracking stone looks like some awesome work by mother nature.

Imagine guiding on a lake like that and watching others catching trophy fish all week. Good to see you let Red in on some of the laker action.

That lake has been on the bucket list for a long time and I hope to scratch it off some time, probably with you.

Wow, what a trip Bunk! A few guys I know including my cuz did some guiding out of Indian Head for a few years. I believe the two lodges are close?

Athabasca lakers are on my bucket list for sure! Thanks for taking the time to post

TDunn

Back from three days of rainy troutn and still dripping but this report along with a tall drink have warmed me up.

Len's big smile tells the whole story of giant lakers with a side of grayling served up along side of good company.

Another great read and pics Drew and Cracking stone looks like some awesome work by mother nature.

Imagine guiding on a lake like that and watching others catching trophy fish all week. Good to see you let Red in on some of the laker action.

That lake has been on the bucket list for a long time and I hope to scratch it off some time, probably with you.

Thanks Mike. Will hope to revisit one day, possibly a Spring Bay / Johnston Island combo. Of course I'd want you there, if wanting to go.

Now if you wouldn't mind... I think there's an amazing fishing report coming from you, and it's getting about time we see it here. :whistling:

Wow, what a trip Bunk! A few guys I know including my cuz did some guiding out of Indian Head for a few years. I believe the two lodges are close?

Athabasca lakers are on my bucket list for sure! Thanks for taking the time to post

TDunn

Indian Head "just" re-opened Tyler. They'd been closed down awhile, and under new ownership are getting back up and running. Both lodges are very close and I understand quite different depending upon what you're looking to experience. It's possible that WFN or WildTV may be airing a "lodge" type show from Indian Head in the near future. That'd be something to watch!

We'll have to talk soon too, would like to hear how things went for ya. ;)

Drew, you've done an excellent job of imparting a detailed view of a distant fishery most of us will never see. We are living vicariously through your experiences and that is a very pleasant experience indeed with ones hot morning coffee as the cold slanted morning light drizzles through the window. Ty for taking the time to make this report, it stands up with your other reports and a few others from other members as highlights of the year.

Edited by scuro2

Thanks for posting such a detailed trip report. You sure fish a variety of species and locations in this great country. Hats off to your passion and committment. While those are some dandy lakers, the greyling caught my eye since I haven't fished for them...yet. I also appreciated you take on the various fish holding methods. Well done.

Thanks Alan and Chris.

Make it happen Alan... http://www.bigfishpictures.net/arcticgrayling.php

And this lake Chris, you're fishing natural lakers where natural bows swim as well? They're both gems to have in one body of water that's for sure. Your laker report was great... but if going back you will have to catch a bow. :)