Are these Blewit mushrooms..

bassjnkie

Had some the other day, baked them with a partridge and olive oil. Delish.They sure look like blewits. Best way to be sure, place one on a white piece of paper with the gills down , wait half a day and inspect the spore print. If it's light pink it's very likely a blewit (I'll never say 100% because I'm not there to see for myself)

I can't help. I grew my first crop of shittake in logs this year, I got about 10. I've had them before and they were delicious. I tell the crew I'm cooking these and they want no part of them. I offered to eat them with my insurance policy on the table! I ate all ten and lived to tell them how good they were!

Do a search on eatable wild mushrooms in Ontario, lots of info and pictures, I had the site but deleted it.

There is a river I fished on the escarpment and in the early fall I saw people coming out with bags/baskets. Never asked what they were. :(

I recently took a mushroom ID course. The spore print is important because there can be non-edible look-alikes that you tell apart from the diffrent spore print. If the spore print is light/white you need black/dark paper to see it. The way the gills are attached to the stalk or not, what the cap looks like, what the stalk looks like and whether it has a bulb at the bottom are important keys to look for and when using the guides. Younger mushrooms of the same species can look different than older ones. In the class someone brought in a "Destroying Angel" that is fatal 50% of the time. There were approx 3-4 really bad ones to avoid and a bunch that can just make you sick. So far I've eaten wild oysters and chanterelles this fall.