Orlando Florida Fishing

Shloim

Ok I booked a guide hes supposed to be great, but whats he gonna say? fish-orlando.com is his site and the largies there are mutant huge mo full of it! Hopefully ill have pics to post and Ill figure out how to post them,

when I get back

• 3 months later...

Taking the family to Orlando for a week at Universal Studios etc etc. Ive noticed that there are a bunch of Lakes around. Anybody have any experience or advice to share on this? Any and all advice appreciated!

Sheldon

Hey .....how did you make out in Florida? What did you end up doing?

Yep, it's a popular tactic down there for big bass

I wouldn't pay guide fees to shiner fish.

What is an appropriate fee for pay a guide for bass fishing? I would love to land a 10+ lber but on the other hand I've never caught a redfish before... oh the decisions!

What is an appropriate fee for pay a guide for bass fishing? I would love to land a 10+ lber but on the other hand I've never caught a redfish before... oh the decisions!

full day bass fishing is about 350-500 on average, not incl tip if you feel so inclined, inshore saltwater tends to be a bit more but you can find deals...offshore is big money...if you are asked to buy your own licence, likely a good sign to stay away, any full time guide will have a licence that covers any guest on his boat (not incl party barges which are fun and cheap)

I would 100% take redfish over bass any day of the week....or better yet, day of bass and day of inshore...I did a day trip to the everglades, fishing kind of sucked but was still an amazing day out....2 lb lady fish on the fly are actually fun, for about the first dozen lol

how did the OP make out?

Saltwater > freshwater any day of the week. A 2lb ladyfish will fight harder then a 10lb bass, lol.

Appreciate your reply, Bill :D I think you are right. Havent caught a bass in a while but I remember that once they are on your hook they give up so easily.

full day bass fishing is about 350-500 (I dont know anyone who would pay over $350 for bass fishing) on average, not incl tip if you feel so inclined, inshore saltwater tends to be a bit more but you can find deals...offshore is big money...if you are asked to buy your own licence, likely a good sign to stay away, any full time guide will have a licence that covers any guest on his boat (not incl party barges which are fun and cheap)

I would 100% take redfish over bass any day of the week....or better yet, day of bass and day of inshore...I did a day trip to the everglades, fishing kind of sucked but was still an amazing day out....2 lb lady fish on the fly are actually fun, for about the first dozen lol

how did the OP make out?

Im not sure how you gauge whether or not to tip a guide. If you spent $500 and caught fish, you got what you paid for. In what instances would a tip be appropriate? Off the top of my head I would say if they cleaned my fish for me or if the guide was not the owner of the charter.

Tipping a guide is no different than tipping a waiter/waitress.

I was a bartender for a few higher end restaurants in the city. I see a few differences.

One is that you go to a restaurant and pay for food -- tip your service. For a charter, I assume you pay to fish? So my question (and it was an honest one) is, when do you tip a guide?

Edited by Steel Bunny

lots of people pay those rates for seemingly successful ON guides ;) I wouldn't for ON bass, but Florida is worth it...but inshore is way better also IMO

your guide is your server, and also the chef...and cab driver and entertainer, tackle store, teacher, etc...the good guides do a lot to earn their pay

lots of factors for tipping really, but it is purely optional at the end of the day and comes down to what you can afford, and if you were happy with your day

guides can't make the fish bite, so I don't judge the day on fish caught.....was he professional and polite, easy to talk with, showed up on time, asked your expectations for the day, had quality functional gear for you to use, packed a good lunch, knew his/her stuff for local waters, etc, etc

basically, did they put in the EFFORT to give you a good day

Not trying to be difficult but I do like debating.

lol

it depends a bit on the type of charter too...ocean downrigging is different from inshore...anybody can fight a fish in open water...making tight casts in stiff wind and fighting strong fish in cover takes some angler skill...so it all depends really

in my experiences, good guides have called me after I paid for my booking, asked my level of experience, what I wanted to target, what type of gear I was comfortable with, lunch preferences, how early you want to start...good guides never say that's too early lol

A tip is a way to say thank you for a job well done. If he has a boat ready to go when you get there. If he packs a decent lunch . If his boat is clean and well stocked with equipment. Basically if you feel like it is fishing with a friend rather than having someone who just puts in time to have you on the water. Most of the bass fishing is catch and release so him cleaning your fish is not usually a service they offer. I would go for a saltwater trip before a bass trip you will see more beauty as well as fish that fight harder.

Art