10th anniversary trip to Italy

kickingfrog

Married for 10 years and together for 16, my wife really wanted a big trip to celebrate. My suggestion of a remote fly-in for some fins and feathers was only half in jest but I don't even think it made the long list, let alone the short one. I knew our October wedding was going to cause some conflicts for me and the fall fishing and hunting but the thought of stewing in my own juices inside a tux for a summer wedding was even less attractive 10 years ago.

AirMiles account cleaned out, kids off to the grandparents' and we're heading to Pearson for our 9 hour, 6 time zone flight to Rome. A few days there and then a <2 hour train ride (Trains are the cat's behind in Europe) to Florence. A few more days and then another train to Venice before flying home and some sleep before Ryan's first ever organized hockey practice this morning.

10 of the 2000 odd photos I took since any guide/tourist book will have better ones, but these are some I liked the first time through:

Rome

IMGP9902_zpsde061bcc.jpg

IMGP9971_zpsaf54cd77.jpg

Florence

IMGP0182_zps833deb45.jpg

IMGP0392_zpsa2faedb4.jpg

IMGP0298_zpsf2602e4f.jpg

Venice

IMGP0782_zps583caae6.jpg

Ambulance. Things only move via boat, handcart or foot.

IMGP1025_zpsc75fb44e.jpg

IMGP1057_zps4870cef3.jpg

IMGP1087_zpsc7ab354f.jpg

The little fish market ^above^ is on the middle/bottom right and the we had a great seafood meal at the restaurant with the little oval yellow sign just above the market's tarp. The black and red boat in the middle of the canal is a bus.

IMGP1149_zps54087c58.jpg

The trip was incredible. The food was awesome. The only real language issue was when I tried to use my very limited italian (One waiter actually turned is head like a dog and said "What?" in perfect English.

Boy they smoke over there like it's an Olympic sport though.

Now time to get some birds and fish of my own.

That's for sure. The time change is one thing but the 8-9pm start time for dinner (and you can't eat out in less then 2 hours, because the staff expect you to linger, have a conversation and savour the food) really doesn't suit me normally. It was great for a vacation without little kids but at home I like to be done dinner by 6pm. I'm getting kinda set in my ways as I get older. :whistling: