Chainsaw Sharpening NF

bh87ss

Hi folks,

So I have watched a bunch of youtube videos, researched a varirty of electric and hand/file techniques, bought a few guides and files and tried my technique on a variety of chains and for whatever reason I can't seem to produce a sharpened chain that cuts like butter.

I know there is a technique to this but I obviously need help, anyone out there with some old school techniques, ideas, approaches to this that is bullet proof?

I am even willing to sharpen anyones chains and put in some time on this for the experince. Not that I can't find someone and pay them 10-15 bucks to do it, I just want to learn it and do it myself.

Thanks for any thoughts and guideance.

Go to Princess Auto and get either of the electric sharpeners. We have the expensive model at work, there's no wizzing around with this thing, set the angles and it takes about 3 minutes at most to get a new chain. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Chainsaws/Timber-Tuff-Upright-Bench-Mount-Electric-Chainsaw-Chain-Sharpener/8279366.p or http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Chainsaws/Bench-Mount-Electric-Chainsaw-Chain-Sharpener/8252165.p

I used to do ours by hand, no more.

Hi folks,

So I have watched a bunch of youtube videos, researched a varirty of electric and hand/file techniques, bought a few guides and files and tried my technique on a variety of chains and for whatever reason I can't seem to produce a sharpened chain that cuts like butter.

I know there is a technique to this but I obviously need help, anyone out there with some old school techniques, ideas, approaches to this that is bullet proof?

I am even willing to sharpen anyones chains and put in some time on this for the experince. Not that I can't find someone and pay them 10-15 bucks to do it, I just want to learn it and do it myself.

Thanks for any thoughts and guideance.

It isn't rocket science but you are right there is a technique (and a feel) that you have to learn. If you want to take a drive over to Lindsay next weekend, I would be happy to sit down with you and show you how to do it, then it is just a matter of practice. I worked on a skidway in the bush for a few years and one of my jobs was to make sure that all the chains were kept sharp all the time.

The electrics are nice and they do a great job (have one myself) but they aren't much good to you when you are back in the bush cutting wood and hit a nail or a bullet in a tree.

I should be around all next weekend so if you want to drop by just give me a call. 705-328-0577.

good topic, I would like to hear what guys say about this

I watched a good tree cutting guy cleaning up a tangled mess of downed, bunched up trees after a storm in Haliburton, stuff I wouldn't even dare touch because they were all spring loaded (I had a close call with a hung-up tree before)

what surprised me, was how often he sharpened his chain, every 10 minutes or so

I use the electric one and it is set the jig and sharpen chains. I have 2 20 inch saws and keep 10 chains rotating between them. The offer from Big Cliff is one that I would take him up on if I was closer. The ability to sharpen a chain in the field is needed if you do not have enough chains to keep a days worth on hand.

Art

Thanks everyone so far, Big Cliff your offer is very generous and thankyou. It's a little bit of a hike for me for a day trip as well but I will certainly connect up with you as I get up your way every now and then so I hope that is ok. As for electric units I agree these seem to be the quick cure and produce a good sharp chain, however i am still going to chase down that old file technique and it may need to wait for a visit with Big Cliff.

I have a princess auto electric bench top sharpener and love it. I keep 5 chains ready to go for my saw. Best $40 spent, now no more dropping off and paying for someone else to do it.

I also never felt like I was doing it right by hand, and quickly gave up trying.

Entropy

I have tried and tried but never got that knife through butter sharpness we all like. Now I let the guy do it, you know "the guy" that makes it look like childs play. I don't use the saw often.

Talking about the pro's re sharpening their chains we had a pro out here all winter cutting down huge ash's. I was watching him and swore I saw sparks coming out on some cuts. He said it's the iron in the trees. Being along the lake sand actually gets into the wood and we have red iron laden sand here that actually will get into the tress during growth. He said he will no longer takes jobs in the north end of Hamilton where all the steel mills are (were). The trees are loaded in ferrous particulate and they chew up his expensive chains. I tend to believe everything I am told. Is he pulling my chain?

bh87ss,

Johnny Miller is the tree guy out here and he lives very close to you, Glancaster Rd just north of Haldibrook west of Mines Rd. I bet he would be happy to show you. He likes a few brown pops now and then as a tip. He is in the book. If not I have the number somewhere, PM me.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If you don't have a nice garage or shed and work in the bush a lot, electric sharpeners cannot be relied on all the time. My dad's electric needs the wheel changes for fine and coarse runs. A bit of a chore if you ask me

At first I absolutely sucked at hand bombing it even with guides . Chewed up a few chains. Basically, it's a practice makes perfect thing. Make sure chain is tight, clean dirt out of saw with compressed air, if you clip a rock you have to make sure all teeth are now the same length, both sides of the teeth also need to be same length and angle. All practice. Get a couple chains and keep the more used ones for dirty work

There may be some good "tricks", but a learned hand will always be your best asset.

First order of business is the bar should be clamped down tight for sharpening. A guide is indispensable for getting the correct angle. I find a bit of an upward movement helps and to make sure you're consistent with the number of strokes so that all cutters get the same amount of shave.

I use the proper size file and a guide but also have a Timberline sharpener that I also use.

Also, it may be a drive but I'd take Big Cliff up on his offer, nothing beats watching someone sharpening in front of you.

I have sharpened a chain saw thousands of times and pride myself with how sharp I can get it. Good balance between the rakers and the teeth is critical. Once you get the angle right it's peanuts.

Try with one chain until you get it right, then it'll be easy.

Thanks everyone so far, Big Cliff your offer is very generous and thankyou. It's a little bit of a hike for me for a day trip as well but I will certainly connect up with you as I get up your way every now and then so I hope that is ok. As for electric units I agree these seem to be the quick cure and produce a good sharp chain, however i am still going to chase down that old file technique and it may need to wait for a visit with Big Cliff.

Keep my number handy and give me a shout anytime you can get up here. Bring your saw with you and I'll show you how to dress your bar properly and go over some tips and tricks for keeping your saw in perfect running condition too.

Hey Blue LK who makes those guides and any idea of a store that sells them.

Old Ironmaker, I know John, great idea, no worries I have his number.

A lot of great idea's and suggestions everyone the input is great, I will try, try, try again and then go see Big Cliff LOL.

Hey Blue LK who makes those guides and any idea of a store that sells them.

Old Ironmaker, I know John, great idea, no worries I have his number.

A lot of great idea's and suggestions everyone the input is great, I will try, try, try again and then go see Big Cliff LOL.

Husqvarna makes them,bought mine at the local saw shop.

Small town eh bh? If you decide you want to take a ride to see Big Cliff I let me know, I might take a ride if you aren't on medication. I need to meet this larger than life OFC legend.

If you think you are going to meet anything other than a tired old man who enjoys sharing some of what he has learned over the years then you are in for one big disapointment my friend! :)

As "Fisherman" could tell anybody who might want to listen, there are few guys in this world who are less technically inclined than I am. But I can sharpen a chain, by hand, with a file and nothing else. TWO files if the rakers are really proud. But you just look at the angle on the chain, align the chain file to that angle left/right and up/down, and shave it square to the direction of motion, for an equal number of licks per tooth. If you need to take the rakers down, file straight across on a 90 degree angle to perpendicular, if you follow me. The top of the rakers are parallel to the bar channel.

Works for me..............

But if Fisherman says the new whizbang electric gizmos are the cat's meow, he is without a doubt 100% correct.

Doug