Anyone using a small AGM battery for a trolling motor?

porkpie

I am looking for a lightweight battery for my kayak, it has a transom designed for a motor. I have used the G27's from my boat before, but they are a bit heavy. I saw a 31AH AGM battery at Walmart that lists it's uses as electric scooters, trolling motors etc, and it's the size of a garden tractor battery. There will be some fishing use on the yak, but I mainly want it for getting back and forth to my hunting spots. Runs are half hour or less, I hate paddling at 5 in the morning! The transom mount motor I have is a 50lb thrust. I have seldom used it higher than setting 3 in the kayak. Does anyone have any real world experience with the small AGM's in kayaks, canoes or pontoons etc, and can you recommend a particular battery and provide some estimated run times? Thanks!

Edited by porkpie

What kayak are you using it ?

I used Nucanoe Frontier, and I still used G27, but I'm using 30Lbs thrust. Also have 55 Lbs thrust.

The AGM group 31, can give you the same hours used when you using with low speed, but if you used on full speed will drain your battery faster.

From other forum (Nucanoe), a lot of people using AGM group 31, due compact size, but still a lot of people still keep using the regular Deep cycle battery from G27.

The only Benefit from AGM, you don't need to worry the liquid drip out from the battery, but the price is more expensive.

For me, I still keep using the regular Deep Cycle battery from G27, or I used bigger battery for my 55 Lbs thrust.