HELP - Islander or KP Imperial

Steel Bunny

The Islander VS Kingpin threads never end well.LOL

It all really comes down to what feels best in your hands. Both seem like great performing reels. I have limited experience with the Imperial but can say that it felt and performed great the few times I've used it.

The Islander is a great workhorse of a reel. I've had my Islander Steelheader since the 1997 or 1998. I used to have the Islander Pacific Steelheader before that and it was great too. I've used the Islander Steelheader on rivers ranging from the Eastern Lake O ditches to Niagara to the rivers on the West Coast. It's a reel that has never let me down. I still have the original Abec 3 bearings in mine. My only gripe would be on newer reels, you probably need to degrease the stock bearings that come with it or you can spend a month spinning it in front of the TV after work to break it in a little. Also not a fan of the clicker either but it's not bad. Islander customer service is also great. My friend lost his reel pouch and they mailed him one for free. I've gone through a number of reels over the years and the Islander has always been with me.

Go with the Pink Imperial....you wont be disappointed,

You wouldn't be disappointed with the Islander either, but one day a few weeks from now you may look at it and say, 'i wish it was pink'

Im looking at both models in pink.....otherwise there would be no discussion :) I am pinkorexic....its a disease

I know the Islander is a bullet proof reel but see how it feels in your hands on the rod. Then check out a JW Young Purist II in a 4" diameter and see how that fits. I used to fish a 5" Stanton and you could take in line like crazy but it was just too large for my hands. I now use an older Purist in the 4" diameter and it is lightweight and a joy to fish.

Burt :)

I know the Islander is a bullet proof reel but see how it feels in your hands on the rod. Then check out a JW Young Purist II in a 4" diameter and see how that fits. I used to fish a 5" Stanton and you could take in line like crazy but it was just too large for my hands. I now use an older Purist in the 4" diameter and it is lightweight and a joy to fish.

Burt :)

Does it come in pink?,that is one of the two criteria.

Either one will do, float reels are pretty simple. You can get the same results with a cheap rapala today, as you could've with a Stanton 25 years ago. The difference between now and then is that now you can take your pick of 30 plus varieties of reel depending on your budget and when I first started it was maybe 3 choices. If I had to pick i'd go with the islander. It's classic, it's Canadian. For some reason guys trade kingpins like they change their underwear, it's seems they are a flavor of the month thing, i don't know why. From all in hear they perform well. I own a half dozen float reels I've collected over the years. No islander or KP though. I've fished an islander, and they are a solid reel. As for your color choice, well I'm of the school of thought that float reels should be black, silver or bronze, but if pink makes you happy then why not!

I forgot to mention that the KP is pink and RARE. Does this matter? It kind of matters to me.....I like to be different ;)

If it's pink you're after, the Islander is pretty much the only factory reel readily available in that colour.

Other options

- Re-anodizing something like a used G. Loomis or Tourney drifter reel or an un-anodized Stanton. In the past I've seen guys try to re-anodize their reels to be a red colour which ended up turning pink There's probably a more accurate way to do it though.LOL

- You can always ask other custom reel builders like Rob Marquette, Adam Demarco, Ron Gardiner, or Edwin (spinnerdoc here on OFC) to see what they can do for you. Although it may cost you a lot more than what you were thinking to spend and you may have to wait a lot longer to get it.