New boat batteries

icefisherman

Well the time has come...after 9 years one of my Sears DieHard deep cycle batteries gave me problems on Saturday. Had to use jumper cable and the other battery to start my main motor at end of day. So I am thinking it maybe time to replace both of them, Both were made in 2005.

Any idea where can I find same battery? Needles to say I am happy with them and see no reason to change.

If they are not available locally my other choice would be the Costco ones as they come with very good warranty and decent price.

Any other ideas or comments?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

The diehards are really hard to find in Canada. I've gone in to sears with a part number and they tell me that it's not a Canadian part number. They seem to stock them at random times and the not carry them for years.

I've been super impressed with my kirkland deep cycle from Costco. It goes through hell being used as my trolling motor battery. My dad also uses four on his boat. He uses a single deep cycle (not the starter/deep cycle combo one they sometimes carry) as the starter battery for his 150 and she's never had a problem starting. Value-wise you just can't beat the costco flooded batteries.

Edited by Wagoneer

Kirkland batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls, which is a well respected company; that manufacture batteries for a number of different labels. These batteries are not built to Cosco's specifications; but to their cost point. In other words Costco tells Johnson Controls we want X number of batteries and are only willing to pay you this. From there Johnson Controls builds the best battery they can too meet that cost point.

When you see a Kirkland battery on sale, make sure you check a few things before you buy. What is the CCA/MCA, the amp hour and the reserve capacity of this battery, compared to their regular priced battery. If not sure pick up each one of the batteries the heavier battery is the better one; more or thicker lead plates.

The other thing too check is the date code that is heat stamped onto the top or around the top edge of the battery. Johnson control battery's date code reads like this. It'll likely be a 4 digit like 2B1A. It's the first 2 digits you want; the first is the year number 1 - 0 repeating every 10 years. The second is the month code. A -M skipping I. So the code on the battery above would have been made in Feb of 2002.

You wouldn't want to buy a 3 - 8 or 10 year old battery, especially that they've been on a shelf wet with acid.

Just know what you're buying and almost any of today's batteries will work well for you.

There's only something like 5 lead acid battery manufacturers here in North America

Johnson Controls:
Interstate Batteries, Motorcraft, Sears
Diehard, Wal-Mart Everstart, Auto Zone
Duralast, Pep Boys Prostart, Costco
Kirkland, Advance Autoparts Autocraft
Delphi:
AC/Delco, Delphi, Freedom, Voyager,
Walmart Everstart, Professional, Platinum
Exide Technologies:
Exide, Champion, Stowaway, Nascar
Select, Nautilus, Wal-Mart Everstart,
Tractor Supply Traveler, American,
National, Power Breed
East Penn:
Deka
Douglas:
Douglas, Climate Master, Farmland,
Legacy Platinum, Omni, SafeGuard,
SurePower

Dan.

Look into a marine lithium ion battery. I'm not sure if they can even be bought around here, but I guess they're around 75% lighter than a traditional lead battery while providing more cranking power and longer life.

I was reading an ATV magazine the other day and they mentioned using one in an ATV. The stock battery was 40 lbs while the lithium was just over 5 lbs...

Look into a marine lithium ion battery. I'm not sure if they can even be bought around here, but I guess they're around 75% lighter than a traditional lead battery while providing more cranking power and longer life.

I was reading an ATV magazine the other day and they mentioned using one in an ATV. The stock battery was 40 lbs while the lithium was just over 5 lbs...

They do exist, but they are a little pricey. I guess I will have to stick to lead acid for now.

http://www.emarinesystems.com/categories/Batteries/Lithionics-Marine-Batteries/?gclid=CjwKEAjwqamhBRDeyKKuuYztxwQSJAA1luvGEtM70LfUF9_pLpwXIDlEvZcZpC_Hudl2rPq-i9exYxoCG9Lw_wcB

I am not sure where you are located, but the Walmart at Morningside and 401 did have one marine battery last time I was there. They were still asking full price.

It was a deep cycle, but I have used deep cycles for starting a 55hp before. I am not sure if they would work for a larger engine.

I think most places will be out of stock and will not be restocking until spring.

I was there again and they had five Marine/RV batteries; a mix of deep cycle and starting. Still full price though.

Edited by JohnBacon

Nice to hear about the Costco batts. I'm adding a house batt and replacing my 2 trolling motor batts for something larger (grp 27?). Also replacing my Pro Marine 2 bank charger for a 3 bank MinnKoda Precision 3 bank.

The charger and batteries will be in the classified next spring...:)

Again make sure you check the specs on the battery you're buying. Just because it has a bigger case size, doesn't always mean it has more lead that make up the plates. It could only mean that there's more plastic case and an extra cup of acid.

Dan.

A smart on board charger is convenient but not important for keeping your battery charged and healthy,

Any good automatic charger with proper charging rate (Amps) can do the job,

Deep cycle batteries have to be charged quickly after use, but you don't have to have the charger plugged in at all the time after the battery has been fully charged.

Batteries will last just as long if you keep them fully charged and maintained without keeping the charger plugged in all the time.

Like I said, on board chargers are convenient but not important.

Yes, it's time for some people to read up on battery maintenance.

Time for some people to read up on battery maintenance. I've got a couple over 10 years old, I keep mine on a maintainer plugged in constantly when not in active use.

Yes, I agree.........especially since there are many old type chargers that will give you a quick charge or even start your vehicle but will also overcharge and boil out your battery....NOT GOOD ! ! !

With the new Smart Chargers that most on-board chargers are nowadays they not only charge said battery(s) but also go to their de-suffocation mode and then into a maintain mode for the rest of the time. Money well spent when you consider how much each of these batteries cost X3.......

And yes, I agree with stonefish that they are extremely convenient and that also makes them a wise choice.