Edumacated Mice !

Beans

I don't know if the cool summer is the cause but we have some mice taking up residence in the back room of our garage...(the only area that is heated)...

We purchased 4 of these but the mice just lick off the chunky peanut butter I put on the trigger without setting the trap off...I tried pulling some cotton batting through the hole in the trigger and then smearing the peanut butter on that...I got one mouse this way... But the other traps were cleaned...Grrrr

I am now going to try putting a big gob of peanut butter on the triggers but will wait a few days to let the peanut butter harden...maybe that will work.?

Edited by Beans

Hey Mike...

These traps are fairly inexpensive 2/$4 @ Home Hardware and are easy to bait as long as you remember to hold the back end down while baiting...(a couple of sore fingers later...I learn the hard way)...LOL

Disposale is easy as you don't have to touch the mouse (works like a clothes pin)...and they are reusable

I'm thinking maybe putting a gob of peanut butter in a roe bag and tying it to the trigger as my next move...

Then I might try buying some sticky paper traps and put the baited traps in the middle of those...sort of a double whammy !!

My granpappy is probably looking down and laughing his a$$ off...he used to trap muskrats in the winter in the swamp at our farm...

Edited by Beans

At least you know they have a taste for PB! Set up a 5gal bucket with a clothes hanger wire across the opening, threading an old toilet paper roll length-wose on it so it spins around the wire. Fill bucket 1/4 with anti-freeze, smoother some PB on the roll and set up a ramp(s) using old pieces of wood up the side of the bucket. The mice will step on to the roll and fall over into the bucket, with no way to escape. The anti-freeze eliminates the smell if you dont get to em' in a couple of days. Goodluck!

Fruit Roll Ups the kids eat work great as mice bait. Tear a small piece off, roll it around in your fingers to warm it up, then press it into the trap's bait holder. Once cooled, the fruit roll ups harden and the mice will have to tug on them, to get it off.

HH

I had some mice in my garage and bought a few different traps. I baited them all with Wowbutter (PB substitute).

This one FAILED (Victor Rodent Trap):

072868121401_ca.jpg

This one worked (Wilson Predator):

065797740416_ca.jpg

This one worked (Victor Tin Cat) as long as it was put in the correct spot. It had five mice in it when I cleaned it out:

tin_cat_solid.gif

Honestly, I think the snap traps have a high fail rate regardless of which ones you use. They are fairly cheap though so you can set up a bunch. The live trap is probably the best and unfortunately the most expensive.

Beans you are doing it wrong my friend. Do not put the peanut butter on the trigger, put it up inside the lid above the trigger, works every time and you always get a good clean kill that way. I keep 4 of those traps set around here at all times and don't even use the old wood ones anymore.

Also, put them near a wall with the open side facing the wall so the mouse has to enter it from the side of the trap, again it will increase your catch/kill rate.

let me know how that works for you.

Beans, we have a problem. I found some dropping in my garage, wooden traps got three of them and found out where some cement had dropped off and a small crevice appeared closed that and they are gone.

But to get the three on the wooden traps 'dollar store' 1.79 for two! They have a little clip on the trigure I put a piece of bacon and "locked it" and a touch of PB, got them every time they had to pull to eat!

Cliffie is right face the trap agaist the wall.

Also instant mashed potatoes supposed to work they eat but can't digest it and bloat to death. :)

Now If I could get rid of them in my yard! They reproduce faster that you can kill them.

I'm beginning to think our mice have 3 inch tongues...

I tried Cliff's suggestion about smearing the peanut butter on the inside of the lid but when I checked this morning...All 4 traps were licked clean and not one was set off...Grrrrrrrr

this topic hits home way to hard. Our cottage has a hole in the foundation to which my father has spent 6 years now attempting to plug, yet somehow the little critters consistently come into the crawlspace year round. The only preventative measure is to literally continuously set a swath of traps every cottage visit. Basically its like the Iron dome of mouse traps. You gain access but before you have time to set up camp and breed, you die.

I have an odd situation in my semi detached home as well. I am about 90% certain my unsanitary neighbor has mice in his home regularily as about once every couple of years a mouse finds its way into the one internal wall that is open that runs the plumbing from my upstairs bathroom down to the basement. There is once access panel that goes under the bathtub, and sure enough every couple of years a mouse finds its way up into my upstairs bathroom and decides that the garbages and our closets are nice places to roam at night.

Luckily both times the critters have woken me up in the early morning crawling through the trash can in my bedroom. I then chase them back into the plumbing wall in the bathroom, fill the plumbing area with poising and set the great wall of scott up

IMG_1032.JPG

Works so well i dont even need bait.

As an FYI both of these traps seen are "the same" the manufacture discontinued the ones with the red V...turns out they are the only ones that really work, hence my use of them in the kill zone.

For anyone out there, my dad and I have been setting mouse traps every weekend for 5 years straight, My dad has literally purchased every single product from home hardware available and the most consistant killer are the victor traps with the red V. The new ones just dont seem to be as touchy.

Edited by AKRISONER

I'm beginning to think our mice have 3 inch tongues...

I tried Cliff's suggestion about smearing the peanut butter on the inside of the lid but when I checked this morning...All 4 traps were licked clean and not one was set off...Grrrrrrrr

get some of the old fashioned kind and tweak them until you have a hair trigger by bending the catch thingey.----deadly.

get some of the old fashioned kind and tweak them until you have a hair trigger by bending the catch thingey.----deadly.

Yep, some of them just don't work right out of the package, so you have to modify the trigger so that you can barely set the trap. Sometimes, if you set them just right, they will go off just setting them down. They work every time. A mouse just has to breath on it and SNAP!!

S.

Bingo, I've been startled silly just trying to put them into position when they fire .... *damn* Extreme hair trigger with nothing more than a wee bit of peanut butter on and under the trigger for indoors.

Outside in the shed the rolling pin method with a pail of antifreeze is dynamite.

Something isn't making sense Beans. I have never had one get the peanut butter and not get nailed. One thing I did notice though, mine have the red V on them! I am out of town for a few days. When I get back I'll give u a call and bring my traps over for u! I don't need them, I've caught all my mice lol

We batted 500 last night...caught 2 with the four traps...I must have put the peanut butter too close to the front lip on the first try...this time I put some back in the trap a little further...Of the two that missed, one was licked clean and the other was set off then dragged and stuck under the humidifier...