dipsys how do you rig them up

skinny

ok I'm new to dipsys and down rigging and all that stuff so been out few times with riggers and some lead but now i got some dipsys

once i was out with another guy he was all over my terminal swivles and clasps said they were wrong and he put on these monsters he had (I think to big)

anyway i now have 2 rods with counters and they came with little dipsys and were tied direct and the leader line was tied direct too. I also have a larger dipsy and snubber

so i was reading on net guys use beads to for some reason

what do you do use and such I'm just trying to wade thru all the stuf so I'm not loosing tackle and trying 100000000 things with no result

help

technically, the swivel that attaches to the tripping end of the dipsy can't be "too big"...as it's just hardware connected to the dipsy....

if your running a spin doctor or flasher, the swivel that connects to said device also can't be "too big"...as it too just connects to hardware.

In my opinion, the only place a swivel can be "too big" is using a large swivel connected to spoons.

lots of opinions out there on swivels in any application , from colour to size to brand. Steve hit it bang on as to where the size of the swivel will matter for action and strength. If you are loosing (breaking off) lots of fish / tackle, where did the failure happen? Is the swivel still there and popped open or broken? If so, make sure you have the right test.If your test was adequate for the type of fishing you are targeting, then change brands. There are lots of high quality swivels out there and lots of low quality ones. There are probably also some cheap high quality ones, but I haven't found any yet. I prefer smaller, and high lb test when fishing big water (60 lb Spro for instance). Luremaking.com has a good selection of quality swivels as well. If you broke off and the swivel is gone, then you have a different cause and will want to discover where the failure was? Knots, line, crossing up your lines on the turn / in the current?

If you have some time on your hands, you could do worse than to search some of the topics here http://www.spoonpullers.com/index.php/board,9.0.html on divers in general and dispsy applications, although obviously these articles are directed at big water, big fish applications.

I run only 30# braid (PowerPro) as my terminal line to the dipsy and from there I run 20# fluorocarbon to a GOOD ball bearing Berkely Cross Lock swivel and then my worm harness with is a short wire home made harness. My rods are pretty stout 9 footers so my fluorocarbon leader averages about 7'.

I wouldn't use mono as your terminal line because it heavier, thicker and stretches. The dipsy's do much better with a thin non-stretch line.

A bead on the line helps defend off debris and can be a insulator against line wear in some circumstances.

Good Luck and I'm sure you will do fine...........Keep it simple and keep it fun because that's the reason you are out there instead of working :)

Good advice here for you. Make sure you tune those Dipsy's to release when you want not when it wants.

Use the #3 setting to get the line as far from the boat as possible, Dipsy's and Lead Core like to get together and ruin a good day of fishing. Especially here on Erie where a Smallie or Silver Bass will make a run across your Lead Core without tripping the diver.

There are still reports of fish from Bruce and Burwell, Nanticoke gave us a skunk twice this week.

I run 30 pound flouro from the Dipsy to the bait about a foot or so shorter than the rods length.

Personally planner boards over Dipsy's any day.