getting that time of year winterizing your boat what do you do

skinny

Regan, I have to disagree with you here. My boat is parked at my place and it's about 100 feet from Lake Erie. 100KPH winds would rip anything but shrink wrap off in one storm. My neighbor had his snap down travel cover ripped to shreds. I guess it all depends on the environment.

I always run all 3 bait/livewell pumps while pouring some RV antifreeze through them. My last trip I pull the plug on the ramp and drain every drop of water out. I put shreds of Irish spring soap in containers all around the floor, supposed to keep little wire chewing critters out, and she likes it too. If a mouse wants to get in plastic won't stop them. I saw one go into the plug opening one year. Oh yea keep the plug in.

Guess I'm in the minority (again :)) - I pay my marina to winter and spring service the whole thing, along with my mid season oil changes. I figure given the investment, ensuring that it is done right is worth the minor extra cost when I compare the true cost of my time and the disposal of the environmentally unfriendly fluids we're draining. Plus they know me (I'm invariably the first spring service) -so you know those mid summer days when you need something done quickly? "Hey, Kirk, its Rick... any chance you can slip me in before the weekend?" "Sure thing Rick, bring her and and I''l have her ready for you by Friday". I have been able to get that kind of support even during the swamped periods. Relationships like that are priceless IMO.

4 Years ago I spent an afternoon on Kijiji looking for inside storage. $55 a month from November to March. Travel cover on, dryer sheets and moth balls selectively located (like everywhere), and duct tape over all openings. Touch wood, so far never an issue. The boat may be built to handle the outdoors, but there is no question that overtime paint will fade less and materials in general will be in better condition if they are exposed less to the elements. Come spring I don't have any garbage to throw out, frame / tarp to store or time other than a 20 minute drive to the farm. And I love looking in the mirror after a long winter seeing the boat trailering behind me visions of spring browns and kings playing through my head.

spincast, up to this past winter I just paid Fishmaster Hardcastle in Dunnville to do the winterizing before he shrunk wrapped my StarCraft ( he does a great job by the way). I watched a dozen YouTube tutorials and drove the boys here nuts asking them how they do it. I watched Featherstone Ted do his 90 Merc while I took notes and video taped it. That's it I asked? Yep that's it. I did it myself this past fall under the watchful eye of Obie Wan Ted. Plus I added a few things he didn't do that I saw on You Tube and from reading about this here and on other sites. But I have to tell you I sure was nervous until Spring when I took the shrink wrap off and fired her up. The engine would not start, no way, no how. I was freaking out. Ted came over and started it for me. A tad too much fogging agent. Once she started she has run like a clock all year. Can troll down to 1.8 with the 115.

spincast, up to this past winter I just paid Fishmaster Hardcastle in Dunnville to do the winterizing before he shrunk wrapped my StarCraft ( he does a great job by the way). I watched a dozen YouTube tutorials and drove the boys here nuts asking them how they do it. I watched Featherstone Ted do his 90 Merc while I took notes and video taped it. That's it I asked? Yep that's it. I did it myself this past fall under the watchful eye of Obie Wan Ted. Plus I added a few things he didn't do that I saw on You Tube and from reading about this here and on other sites. But I have to tell you I sure was nervous until Spring when I took the shrink wrap off and fired her up. The engine would not start, no way, no how. I was freaking out. Ted came over and started it for me. A tad too much fogging agent. Once she started she has run like a clock all year. Can troll down to 1.8 with the 115.

Nice to hear that. And now you're a old pro and can help others to do the same. I thought you were going to tell us you forgot to put the plug wires back on. Did that once and laughed and laughed to myself why it didn't start. My BIL had a old 1974 7.5 Merc that I sold him and it ran REAL rough he told me until he pulled the cover to see neither plugs wire was connected but only laying against the plugs.

Once you do it, it's like riding a bike, you will never forget and the best part is YOU know that it was all done and done right.

Don't forget to lube the prop spline, use a NEW stainless steel cotter not aluminum or you might be buying a new prop next year. Also grease every zerk fitting you can find, especially the steering mechanism.

I/o's are different animals than outboards. An outboard will drain when lowered, an inboard is always full of water unless it gets drained. Manifolds, the block, water pump all need to get drained. Do it properly by the book and you will not have a problem. As for tarp vs shrink wrap, if you are sheltered from the wind, tarp is fine, if not, shrink wrap it.

As Bernie recommended!

I've had slightly milky oil in our 25 Honda for a few years come fall... and have always forgot to get new plastic washers and then it's too late when we have to leave camp suddenly as I drain and refill the day we're closing up camp and storing the boat. Last year I remembered to buy some new washers and put them in place. Draining last week the oil was as new, and the boat was in the water for just over 4 months. I was ready for a prop shaft seal job and 1.78 saved the day!

Guess I'm in the minority (again :)) - I pay my marina to winter and spring service the whole thing, along with my mid season oil changes. I figure given the investment, ensuring that it is done right is worth the minor extra cost when I compare the true cost of my time and the disposal of the environmentally unfriendly fluids we're draining. Plus they know me (I'm invariably the first spring service) -so you know those mid summer days when you need something done quickly? "Hey, Kirk, its Rick... any chance you can slip me in before the weekend?" "Sure thing Rick, bring her and and I''l have her ready for you by Friday". I have been able to get that kind of support even during the swamped periods. Relationships like that are priceless IMO.

4 Years ago I spent an afternoon on Kijiji looking for inside storage. $55 a month from November to March. Travel cover on, dryer sheets and moth balls selectively located (like everywhere), and duct tape over all openings. Touch wood, so far never an issue. The boat may be built to handle the outdoors, but there is no question that overtime paint will fade less and materials in general will be in better condition if they are exposed less to the elements. Come spring I don't have any garbage to throw out, frame / tarp to store or time other than a 20 minute drive to the farm. And I love looking in the mirror after a long winter seeing the boat trailering behind me visions of spring browns and kings playing through my head.

Guess I'm in the minority as well. Fortunate to have a certified marine mechanic who lives 5 km from the dock. He's always quick to respond to any issues when the boats in the water so I'm happy to give him the extra $$ for storage & winterizing @ the end of the season. The Mercs been idling a little rough the past couple of weekends, so we've arranged to do a bit of fishing in the next couple of weeks so he's familiar with the issues. I'll pick her up in the spring and she'll be good to go :)