A Solo Roady North.

Moosebunk

I knew you couldn't do it...you couldn't stay away. 'Nepigon' just draws you in for more. Another great adventure with some awesome miles put on that Rebel...way to go. I also have a healthy respect for the lake conditions on Forgan and Lake Nip. Before the dams, Forgan was actually made out of 3 small lakes joined by the mighty Nipigon River and that is why you go from deep water to shallows in an instant. My rebuilt prop will tell you that.

F.W.I. the tagged fish is not mine (I only tag on the right side). I did very little tagging in that area, choosing to leave it alone over the years. However the MNR went in there last fall and "sampled" the area by netting and tagging. I haven't heard the results of that study as my biologist contact who ran the tagging program has retired. Hopefully someone in the MNR will take over responsibility, but I suspect the tagging program has run its course and I'm done this year anyway.

I really enjoyed the read and the determination to take on such a solo adventure. My compliments. So I won't see you again next year??? Yea, right.

Tagged. Quite possibly by OFC's own Guidefisherman... Al. I seem to catch alot of tagged fish and have done so all over the bloody lake. Those specks go on tour.

Is this legal? I always thought you had to be MNR or part of a government cleared scientific study to tag any animal? Or do they contract tagging out to fisherman to clear a budget?

Edited by Wagoneer

• 2 weeks later...

Autumn14-082_zps40fbc6a6.jpg

Attawapiskat for two plus weeks work with little to no connection and just resurfacing now to look around before kicking off fall fishing.

I knew you couldn't do it...you couldn't stay away. 'Nepigon' just draws you in for more. Another great adventure with some awesome miles put on that Rebel...way to go. I also have a healthy respect for the lake conditions on Forgan and Lake Nip. Before the dams, Forgan was actually made out of 3 small lakes joined by the mighty Nipigon River and that is why you go from deep water to shallows in an instant. My rebuilt prop will tell you that.

F.W.I. the tagged fish is not mine (I only tag on the right side). I did very little tagging in that area, choosing to leave it alone over the years. However the MNR went in there last fall and "sampled" the area by netting and tagging. I haven't heard the results of that study as my biologist contact who ran the tagging program has retired. Hopefully someone in the MNR will take over responsibility, but I suspect the tagging program has run its course and I'm done this year anyway.

I really enjoyed the read and the determination to take on such a solo adventure. My compliments. So I won't see you again next year??? Yea, right.

Your boat is waaaay too sexy for running in that Forgan mine field Al. Thanks for the reply... and you "probably" will see me again. It is sorta planned to go back in 2015 as it's hard to imagine missing a year there.

BTW leave the red head for me!

She asked about ya Mike. :whistling:

Bears encounters are always something to be aware of, Never let your guard down.

That one in your campsite must of had the cheeks puckered up a bit!!

Too busy being angry that it dared walk in my wilderness. :wallbash::tease:

I don't get around much on the forums anymore but when I do its nice to see you're still getting out and sharing your experiences.

Great report as always Bunk :clapping:

Thanks Les. Good to hear you're still checking in.

Do you ever get any info back on those tagged fish?

Kinda like a banded goose/duck...its always the info that amazes me the most.

Didn't report on the tags this year Shane but did last year on every one, and yes, the MNR biologist up there heading up the tagging program contacted me to return the info each time. Also, my best fish over the years was a tagged fish that had been caught and released several times over the course of her five year life, 2004-2009. Various stages of her growth recorded and the places she was found. It is the only speck I have kept from the lake and it was awesome to have her life history which I added to a little plaque that accompanies the mount.

Wow...are u ever ugly. Just fish pics please. Nice report.

Uglier every year... inside and out. Thanks man! :tease:

BTW, if you liked Three Day Road, you will enjoy Boyden's second novel, "Through Black Spruce."

Read "Through Black Spruce" first, Boyden did an amazing job researching and capturing life on James Bay, many parts and characters truly depicted. Just finished "The Orenda" in Attawapiskat and it's worth the read as well.

I'll take you up on your offer too Doug. We'll hopefully talk soon.

Thank all.