Restoule Lake Musky Hunter Episode

cowanjo

It has been a while since I posted - I think it because after reading Fisher Petes PB after PB musky escapades were mine really worth it. I was lucky enough to be asked to go and do another episode with Jim Saric on Restoule Lake, it took me about three hours and 20 ,minutes to get there.

The Plan was straight forward we would fish Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday and get six decent fish to make a great
show. Drove up on Tuesday morning as I just arrived home from Vegas Monday night (another story later) and we were staying at Martins Camp - its a good spot righton the edge of Restoule. Boat ramp is about two KLMs down the road and docking is good.

I get to the lodge at 830 plan is to fish from 9am - not a boat to be seen on the lake, Jim Saric is cooking breakfast of eggs bacon and toast. coffee is on - my heads in a fog and I am nervous. Jim tells me for some reason the Chips for his Lowrance don't show this lake so we are going old school. In my opinion this is why he is the musky hunter and we are not.

We chat and have breakfast and we go launch the Musky Hunters boat - again a little nervous when he dumps my in the lake and I have to drive it back- Plan is pretty simple we are going to fish to 2pm then take a break and fish to dark.

Jim pulls out a map from 1986 with a few options - Steve Heiting had fished here and we had three spots from 1986 to go on, Jim asks me do I know anyone who knows this lake if I need to make some calls, answer no but could get help if required - thinking OFC! He asks how would I pick apart this new piece of water, I started talking about cut baysrocks, weed edges I think I threw in every cliché I could.

Success in musky fishing is measured in many different ways. We always try to put more and bigger fish in the boat but this time it was a different challenge, I was about to learn from an expert how to find musky with no GPS, no idea of the lake and really other than a tip from Mike Parker on bait colour nothing to go on.

In my home waters I throw rubber baits, Jim said that's a good plan but these fish don't see many double tens or topwater and the percentage would say that those are more likely. In other words he was being nice and telling me if he was throwing a topwater I was to crank a double ten for the next three days. What colour ??? I go for black black Handlebarz. Jim Cowgirl Gold and topraider skunk.

We hit the lake at 10am Water temp 70.3, wind East 10klms we drive to the three spots the Heiting had caught fish in 1986 - we fish two hours nothing. I am thinking I am never going to make the episode if we don't catch fish. Jim looks at the old map looks around the lake and states we are going to fish cut bays with weeds. For those who follow lotw threads seems a good idea.

We head over to a likely spot - cast number one cowgirl
IMG_2566_zps672e29ed.jpg

Jim gets this MAMMOTH 52 inch giant I could not believe how dark its head is or how much it looks like a crocodile. I feel pretty pumped - Jim set the hook gets to the boat I do a solid net job and she is in the bag. Now anyone who is reading this think about fishing with musky hunter, no fish then finally get a chance and it is a giant and you have to net it, I was shaking but did the job. jim tells me when its in the bag that's why he bought me and also invited Tim (Who could not make it) as we are cool under pressure and good net man. Honestly felt good than thought screw being the net man let me get one of the giants.

The rest of day one went pretty much to script for Jim, not so much for me - we end the day with 5 fish three on blades and two on topwater. the score is Jim 5 John Nil. Looks like you wont be seeing my face landing a fish - I had my chance on a custom Tim "Tool" topraider colour after Jims fish all just hammer the bait away from boat I get a follow all the way to the boat into figure eight and get it to eat on the pause. Fish on fish off heartbreaking.

Day two - same as day before Jim, wants water to warm some before we head out. Wake up Jims made coffee and is sharpening baits, Rick the camera guy is cooking breakfast - Jim hands me a pile of blades and tells me to get sharpening - again thinking hope I do this right as I rely on Roaring dan normally. I pull out my go to handlebarz unweighted silver sharpie black - this lure had caught thirty four musky at this point including all my large fish at LOTW. I feel confident

We head out knowing that cold front and rain storm due at 4pm and we need three more fish minimum to get the show wrapped - we fish Heitings 1986 spots, we go back where we saw and lost the topwater fish and even where Jim caught all of his. We are seeing very little, finally I get a small one on a topwater then Jim does the same, I have long since put down the double ten handlebarz. We chat and think we should see if anything has come up on a rockpile out deep. Jim looks at the map and finds a likely spot. We head there Jim said this looks like a great spot for a topwater, I look down and put on trusty Handlebarz - We start fishing the shallow rock and suddenly a giant fish appears behind the blade - the water is stained - I make the first turn and Saric said "she still on it" I rip it away and hang it on the next turn she kicks and follows again I go down the straight away "she still on it" I hang it out she nips and misses I burn it away and then hang it - Saric said she "ate it" I set the hook. the footage I watched later is amazing as all of this is on film and a giant head is shaking side of boat she goes around the front and tries to go in trolling motor. I use the Dan Seavey take no prisoner approach and treat her mean and get her to the net. Saric nets it.

Posted Image

About an hour later the rain sets in we have the fish we need for the show, do I feel happy that we don't get another day or relieved that I finally got a beast, I feel the later.

We head back and I now realize nine fish in about twelve hours of fishing, on a new lake without GPS or contours really tells you why Saric is unbelievable, he didn't really know this lake but picked it apart and we got onto a pattern. What an outstanding new place to fish. I look forward to getting back there soon.

Amazing read, I always assume these guys rely on guides, but I see not entirely accurate in his case! Must have been quite the experience watching him analyze and pick all the details apart, and then top it off by cashing in on the plan!

Edited by thegrumpyfisherman

Restoule is a great little Musky lake that not allot of guys know about. Not a huge lake but holds some big fish. Another good lake (connected by a river) to the North, is Stormy lake. I've also stayed at Martin's Camp and it's a great place. The owner, Bing, is a great guy.

Martin's Camp is for sale by the way If you got the coin

http://www.youronlineagents.com/dawnstripe/viewlisting.php?id=438990

Very impressive. Many years ago I went camping there with the kids. We were canoeing and I thought I saw a log in the water about 4 feet long. Then it swam away! I watch the Musky Hunter regularly and I sometimes wonder if Jim really believes in everything he talks about. Then I read a story like yours and, yeah, the guys a pro. What a great trip.

I think exploit is way to hard, I think Bing at the camp and others need support and we need tourism - the number of camps in trouble is more and more, Jim is incredible great with the musky resource and in facts works for the EPA. I think that's not fair and he is a decent ambassador and a great fisherman.

I think it is a calculate spend by Ontario Tourism, I don't get any so don't shoot the messenger, but it is all about getting people to visit, like the Pure Michigan adds.

Put it this way I will go back to Restoule and take Dan, Craig, Tim and others - I would never have considered this and I hope others will as well. It is awesome area and great people who really love the area

John I cant wait to see the episode congrats on another gr4eat trip. I am sure that Jim can learn from you also as you know how to put fish in the boat. I wish the other bait had gotten to you before the trip as I hear its a great one for up there. Thanks for taking the time to post the trip up here.

I am happy to see some of my tax dollars going into helping out the fishing community through advertising. Can the money be spent better somewhere else maybe but can it be blown easily faster HECK yeah so I for one am happy that some lakes and lodges get exposure and it is a new place not just LOTW or other places that everyone has heard of.

Should be a good show! I was out there the end of august for the first time in about 10 years. Odd because I really don't live that far away from it:)

We saw a few dandies follow to the boat but weren't really there for them... Was a little alarmed at the numbers of small pike present over previous years though. Hopefully those big girls in the pics will clean a few of them up. :Gonefishing: