All Purpose Muskie Rod Recommendation

KraTToR

I'm looking at either the St Croix Mojo Muskie 8' MH or the Bass Pro Muskie Angler 8' or 8.5' MH as an all around Muskie Rod for trolling and throwing cranks or spinner baits.

I would expect that I should be able to cast a bit further with the 8.5' rod...

50lb braid with a floro leader.

Thoughts?

if you are only planning on one rod ever....then get a 7'6 premier heavy pm76hf or equivalent -- it will do everything.

the rod you listed is a good small bucktail and straight top water rod but not great for jerkbaits, large bucktails or anything too heavy really.

most people end up with two rods, one for jerkbaits one for bucktails. the rod i mentioned above will be a good jerkbait / trolling rod if you decide to get a 2nd, longer rod somewhere down the line.

i'd go heavier on the line, 80lb minimum.

Edited by Raf

MH is good for the Kawarthas but I'd go H on better waters.

I use an MH St. Croix Legend Tournament for my #1 rod and have put some big non Kawartha fish in the boat with it, but it's all a personal choice.

Heavy is also a good rod.

Edit to add ++++

I missed the part where it was gonna be used for trolling also, guess I should learn to read the whole post first.

Sorry bout that, carry on boys :lol:

Edited by lew

I mainly use a MH rod too. Just preference. If im throwing really big stuff, heavy is better, but for the most part, MH gets it done fine, I find I lose more fish on the heavy stick for some reason...I think the softer tip of the MH keeps the hooks pinned.

S

I actually just purchased the Musky Mojo 8 ft H/H.. I had the Legend Tournament Pro in my hand and changed my mind at the last minute.. It all comes down to dollars and sense, but for half the price, I absolutely love the Mojo. It's still a quality St. Croix rod and comes with a 5 yr Warranty (LTP is lifetime mind you).

I have it coupled with the new Shimano Calcutta D and 80 lb Tuffline (I would recommend not using power pro counter to it's popularity, it fray's easily and digs into the spool). Daiwa Samurai is also an excellent line.

For trolling, if you don't want to break the bank.. Go with Shimano TDR rods and Okuma Convector 30 (line counter) reels (100 lb test). I've been running for of these for 5 years with no problems. Many guides use this comby as well. From what I remember the rod and reel combo is about $175, not bad for a decent setup!

Nice long rod. 7'6 minimum mh as a starter. You will def need 80lb braid, 50 is not quite enough. You can toss bucktails and spinners and cranks with it. As you get more into fishing for these toothy critters you will want another heavier rod for jerk and glidebaits and yet another long rod for trolling. Just make sure to get a good quaity reel. The cheaper reels just do not hold up well with all the casting of heavy baits and strong fighting fish. A good reel will last years with minimal maintenance. A little cleaning and oiling once a year and you are good to go.

Well I pulled the trigger on a St Croix 8' MH and 80 lb braid.

I should have clarified, this won't be my last muskie rod just a good starter.. I figure I can cast spinners, spinner baits, med cranks, and plastics with this one. A little trolling should be in the mix as well.

Once I get this one broken in, I'll be lookin' for recommendation for #2...

Well I pulled the trigger on a St Croix 8' MH and 80 lb braid.

I should have clarified, this won't be my last muskie rod just a good starter.. I figure I can cast spinners, spinner baits, med cranks, and plastics with this one. A little trolling should be in the mix as well.

Once I get this one broken in, I'll be lookin' for recommendation for #2...

Sorry if I missed it, what reel will you be using?

edit: I need to reload pages before i post :( didnt realize you already pulled the trigger.

il go ahead n make the 8'6 xh premier my suggestion for your second rod. works well for the bigger stuff.

Edited by Djeep

I caught my first and only 20 lb. Tiger on a 6' Shimano medium light with a 15 buck Shimano x1500 loaded with 8 pound mono pulling a Mepps Black Fury. Friends say I had horse shoes inserted by a Proctologist that day over 30 years ago, I say it's all skill.......yea that's it.

Actually a well timed thread, if I get the dreaded Musky Hunter fever (actually I hope not, my company filed for bankruptcy protection today), I may be shopping over the winter. Thanks for the tips all.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have owned five Mojos and had issues with four. Won't be going back despite quite liking one of the rods especially. Eyelet issues in four of the rods, tips breaking too. And because I can't... I won't mention the 25 broken tips off the muskie Mojo rods when put to the real test.

If going with St.Croix again I'll be with Lew on this one... otherwise looking to other brands.

For casting I like 65 pound braid through a Curado 300 for the small to medium stuff... 80 for bigger on a Calcutta... No where near the hours into muskie as many of the guys here though.

I fish the Kawarthas and find a smaller rod adequate and more fun.

Would be rare to catch anything over 20 lb. Usually 10 -15 lb. or less

For that, a lighter combo is preferred in my book.

Mine is a 7 ft med/ heavy. Berkley I think. Abu Revo Toro with 80 lb PP.

I heavy rod is a killer casting all day.

But then I'm a little guy. 5ft 6in, 165lb