seatrout/steelhead

creditmaster

No, completely different. Sea trout is a salt water fish, also in a completely different family. To make things even more confusing they called sea trout 'speckled trout' as well. Always gets a laugh out of me when I'm fishing down in Florida.

Edited by BillM

ok so brook trout are the same as these sea trout?

No.. Sea trout is a sea trout. It's a warm water salt water species.. It shares it's name with the fresh water speckled trout (or brook trout) but is in a completely different family and not related at all.

Only thing similar is the name.

Edited by BillM

On the east coast we catch sea run brook and brown trout that the locals call sea trout, but they are still browns and speckle trout.....if that makes any sense lol. They live in the salt water, and come to fresh water to spawn.

S.

We haven't even mentioned yet that brook trout is actually a char and not a trout at all, lol I've heard of some of those monster sea run browns they get on the east coast (Mostly caught in the middle of the night if I'm not mistaken).. That sounds like a fun little fishery.

the spotted sea trout which is also called a speckled trout, looks like a vampire check this out

browns are browns

and to make things really confusing, brook trout aren't actually trout, they're char.... :unsure:

and you obviously know what steelhead are, which are also called rainbow trout, but some will say rainbow trout are purely resident fish and aren't a steelhead.......so much confusion! :dunno: