Kicker motors

greenfshrmn

I have an opportunity to purchase an 8 hp 4-stroke kicker motor for my 17 ft Lund. This thing weighs in at over 80 lbs and I'm wondering if this is a bit too heavy alongside my 115 motor. Just wondering how many guys (and girls) on here use a kicker motor as an important tool in thier fishing. Also, if anyone has a similar set-up I'd be insterested in hearing their opinions.

Sadly, as I get older I tire quickly when casting for bass and walleye...trolling is starting to look more appealing! Thanks for your advice.

i have an 8 hp hi thrust yammy on my 1900 prov that sits along side my 200hp

great little motor...awwwsome to troll with...

id get that second motor!!

also see if you can get the remotes for it too...it would be great to operate it from your driver seat

A kicker is a nice piece of insurance to have and a nice peace of mind. I think anyone with a boat has been broken down and wished they had a back up at some time. If they haven't the boat must be fairly new. Believe it or not the first trip with the kicker was the first trip of the year and my new battery died. It paid for itself that day.

Just warning you need to be sure that the kicker will mount on the transom and it is deep enough in the water to work as well you will be able to get a bracket for steering. Lucky I have good skilled friends with shops and we made a connecting bracket that works unbelievably. One marina told me I needed a $200.00 trolling motor mount, no I didn't, and marina #2 told me a bracket didn't exist to connect the 115 to the 15, we made one.

Besides the peace of mind think of the fuel saving trolling with big girl plus the wear and tear on the big girl you will save. People will tell you there isn't any savings and trolling with a 115 is fine, look closely and you will see they don't have a kicker.

My dad uses an evinrude 8hp 4-stroke alongside his 150 evinrude on his 21ft aluminum. He has the remote for the throttle and the steering linked to the 150. This setup is worth every single penny. The remote is great. As soon as you hook a fish you just hit the idle button and the motor returns to idle and as soon as you're ready to start trolling again just hit the run button and it returns to the exact throttle setting you were at before to insure you always keep the exact trolling speed and you never have to reach down to touch the kicker motor. The first couple years we didn't have the remote and it's amazing how streamline it makes trolling. If you do any trolling by yourself the remote setup is the only way to go.

Not to mention the obvious reasons of having a tiny 4-stroke motor that you can barely hear sipping away fuel compared to your large motor burbling at idle with zero low-speed throttle control. When you spend 8hrs on the water trolling that alone is worth getting a kicker.

I have an opportunity to purchase an 8 hp 4-stroke kicker motor for my 17 ft Lund. This thing weighs in at over 80 lbs and I'm wondering if this is a bit too heavy alongside my 115 motor.

If you're worried about that particular motor being considered heavy compared to the norm for the market than don't worry. The 8hp motor is the first step up to 2 cylinders, so in terms of weight they are going to be about 25-30lbs heavier than 6hp motors which are only a single cylinder. But for that extra poundage, you don't get the vibrations from a cylinder. And yes 4 strokes have come a LONG way in terms of vibrations but a single cylinder will always vibrate a large amount more than a twin, it's just physics.

The lightest 8hp 4 stroke on the market is the Suzuki DF8, and even still it's only a couple pounds lighter. And next to your 115 which weighs over 400lbs, you're not going to notice it at all.

Happy trolling! I know a lot of people prefer casting over trolling, but sometimes trolling can be even more relaxing I find.