West Arm Nipissing, Mashkinonje Lodge

Old Ironmaker

Last month I was planning a late September trip to the Kaladar area hwy. 7 and 41. Well I decided on the West Arm of Nipissing at Mashkinonje Lodge for a few nights, at least. Sure is a long way from Kaladar but that's too long of a story/

I am bringing my 19 foot deep V Starcraft 115 Merc and 15 kicker, elec troller, GPS combo, all the toys and oops almost forgot, my lady. I fished Calander Bay for years and the mouth of the French a few times. I have what I think gear I need. Any tips you folks can give me? I will be fishing for "Fish". I have a Tiger Musky hanging on my kitchen wall and would love my first real Musky but it won't spoil my trip if I don't get one. Heck I will be bummed if I get a skunk but still won't spoil my trip. Reagan has suggested a good guide for a day but it really isn't in the budjet. Tich says go for it, it's her present to me for my 60th, I don't know. That coin will buy me some nice rods and reels I don't need.

A good lesson for all young and old business people out there, go out and get the business. The owner saw my post and PM'd me suggesting his place. I wasn't going to go anywhere near Nipissing, not on my bucket list, but if he hadn't suggested it I wouldn't have even thought of going to Nip. A good lesson. And he answered all my questions before I had to ask. Just wish it was easier to pronounce.

Thanks all

Johnny D

Hey Chris, thanks for the quick reply. Reagan the lodge owner recommended a Musky guide. As I said here and told him I have never fished for them. I know I should and am thinking I will hire him and try to agree on a fair price. I have never hired a guide one on one. He is asking $450.00 for the day, his boat his tackle including lunch. Better be a nice lunch. I really don't know he going rates so as I always say if you don't know the price of potatoes don't go into the French fry business.

What is a good rate for a full day, a half day is about all I can really be on the water at a time anyway with my old worn out body. If a half day is available I should book him, that's in the budget.

I just read a thread from a few weeks back from someone asking about the West Armafter I posted this and everyone said the same thing, get a guide. I won't be fishing at night, that's for sure.

You'll enjoy your stay at Mashkinonje, it's a nice place and Regan & Goldie are great folks and alot of fun to hang out with. We were there in June and are heading back up again next year.

Hiring a guide sounds expensive but 1/2 a day may at least get you pointed in the right direction and give you an idea of what you need to do and where to go. Muskies aren't nearly as plentiful in that area as many places around Ontario but when you get one you can almost always be sure it'll be a goodun.

Submerged rocks can also be an issue so just be careful where your going and you'll have a great trip. That area is a gorgeous part of Ontario and definitely my favorite place.

Here's a picture I took of Regan fishing in front of the lodge one evening

014.jpg

And one of the local residents

022.jpg

I had a good chat with Danny and he is a real pro at guiding. He comes with all of the top end equipment and a boat that is made for the area. He ran from the lodge out to the mouth of Lak Nipissing to catch Muskie one day for 2 gentlemen. He is very nice to talk to and he will give you more info than you can get from reading for a month in a day. I personally have been very lucky with my anti catch muskie reputation and so far have skunked 4 of the finest muskie anglers that I know. Danny has not taken a shot yet but given time I am sure I can beat him too. As far as the lodge goes both Regan and Goldie have been nothing but aces to everyone who has stayed there. The courtesies he showed me with help when my transducer broke with not only a hand but allowing me to use a few tools I needd will not soon be forgotten.

Here is a link to Dannys site. http://www.nipissingmuskies.com/

Art

I really wasn't sure what a fair price was so thought I should ask here. I know what a day costs me to run my boat just for fuel and ramp if I run and gun. I don't think I will be ripping around in unfamiliar water when I'm up there, I know what Nipissing can do to a boat and motor when a submerged rock suddenly appears.

Musky Motivated I think that was the name of the guide Regan suggested. I am going to take him up on it, need to talk to Danny personally, if it is Danny.

Lew I was typing a reply to that thread re: Musky kill and Art locked it as I was typing. I was feeling sensitive today, no foul no harm, keyboard Cowboys have feelings to you know. I like that Key Board Cowboy, may change my avatar. Those are beautiful pics, can't wait to take some myself. Now that I have a new PC and doesn't have Windows 8 RT, I should be able to post. There is a cool pic on their home page that Joey took. I can see me staying more than a few nights.

"The Key Board Cowboy"

Johnny, it's funny that the name Danny Columby came up here.

I was sitting at the picnic table at another West Arm lodge last month and a fella came up to me and asked if I was Lew. Turns out it was Danny and he was guiding some folks in the next cabin to me and recognized me from some pictures on this site.....small world LOL

Anyways, we yakked about muskies for 30 minutes and then he had to take off but he seemed like a really nice guy and if you go out with him I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy your day with him.

I just sent Danny an email with questions. I looked at a rather impressive site and he has guided the likes of Pete Maina "THE Musky Hunter" and did a show with him also Ontario Outdoors Sr. editor Gord Ellis. I guess for any Musky hunters out there he is a household name. The problem may be that his site says minimum of 2 persons. It will only be myself, we will see what he says. Hopefully he has a single looking for a trip and we can go together. What really impressed me is that he will turn down the cold hard cash of locals at times as we all know how loose lips sink ships. Not often people turn away customers for any reason.

I've been told it's $450.00 per day per person, I didn't get a hold of the gent today. If it's 450 beans per person I will be watching a few Musky shows before I go, especially the ones with Jim Saric. Wasn't he one of the original In-Fisherman contributors? And begging for PM's from you guys in the know about Musky hunting.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Danny Collumby is a good buddy of mine. He makes a good living out of guiding for Muskie on Nipissing. I have been in his boat 4 or 5 times and I am one of the few locals he trusts.

Lew, I have sent Danny a few of your Muskie pics from this site over the years.

Johnny, There is NO dollar amount you can place on learning. A good guide can save you hours of frustration especially on new water.

What days are you going Johnny?

Nipfisher, we will arrive at 14:00 Sunday the 28th and would like to go out with him the next day. I emailed him through his site today but haven't heard back from him yet. I will try and call him tomorrow. Talking one on one is the way I like to do business I've always said. I'm not saying that much money is too much it just may too much for my budget right now. If he is willing to take me out solo I will go for it because you are right it is an opportunity to learn from the best and I am a good student, now anyway, should have been 45 years ago. Also my wife insists I do since my last post.

And there is a dollar amount associated to learning, otherwise I would be practicing law by now. No way a Steelworkers kids were going to law school back in the early 70's, no one from my neighborhood anyway.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I know what you mean by spending that amount of money for a one time experience; but man we only go around once, pull the trigger and go for it. Even if it doesn't work out with this Danny guy; ask him for his recommendation for the next best guy.

My brother and I always spoke about going on a fly-in trip together; but the money always held us back. It wasn't that we couldn't afford it; but did we want too afford it. When my brother was diagnosed with cancer; we both said it's now or maybe never. After reading the report on Eddie;s place on the Attawapiskat by Mike Borger; it was to hell with it we're going. Best money I've ever spent towards this sport; we loved every minute of it. Plus for you, you've got your boss's permission so there's no repercussions when all said and done. LOL

Enjoy your wife's birthday(?) gift too you.

Dan.

I personally avoid guides. Not that they aren't great and knowledgeable. I just like the hunt to find them myself. I get far more satisfaction out of figuring them out after putting in the hours. Danny sounds like the guide to go with if you are going in that direction though.

I would ask my wife for a different kind of gift. LOL

I can do a lot with $450.

jammer, we only have 3 days up there, I don't know how old you are but you will understand when you turn 60 and have been with same lady for 25 years a day with a professional guide is good, actually great gift. Now 25 years ago $450.00 would get me a great day with a different kind of pro.

I've been with the same lady for 34 years and I was being sarcastic about the other gift. LOL However, I was serious about the adventure of finding the fish on my own and using the $450 to buy fishing tackle. One day, three days, a week, I like the challenge and the reward. You will have a blast either way; Nipissing has so much potential.