tb4me

I can't remember if anyone drafted Jeff Skinner... but I've got some bad news for you.

That would be me.....Damn,. Already found his replacement.. As soon as the team puts him on IR ill be ok

Well I have waited long enough to reply (wanted to see what the leafs final moves were.)

Opening Night:

JVR Bozak Kessel

Kozun Kadri Lupul

Komorov Santorelli Clarkson

Winnik Holland Frattin

Phaneuf Robidas

Gardiner Reilly

Percy Polak

Santorelli and Holland may be switched. This leaves Ashton, Booth, Leivo and Franson on the sidelines I believe.

What I think they needed to do:

Resign Reimer because he has no trade value and he is a good backup when his game is on he can try to take over number 1 (never gonna happen). Improve culture. Change defensive and forechecking system. Upgrade bottom six players to personnel who can play more than three minutes a game and possibly add scoring depth. This would enable us to roll four lines and not have your first two lines play as many minutes so they still have energy at the end of the season. Getting enough guys on tryout to compete for jobs so your players never have a false sense of entitlement midway through the year is important. They need to continue to develop their youngsters and I think they needed to add defensive minded defenseman, and draft well in the first round.

How they did:

With the surprising outbreak of Kozun in leafs camp I believe our penalty kill likely to consist of Kozun and Winnik is leaps and bounds better than last year.

As far as culture change; Well I am very happy with the new direction the Leafs seem to be heading and the changes they have made to the environment. They are changing the in game experience to be more exciting and less commercial/corporate when you go see a game live (change put forth by Shanahan). They have overhauled the assistant captains and assistant management (front office) with some of the brightest young minds in hockey today as well as some future replacements should Carlyle or Nonis meet their dismissal. They are now using the money they make to better there team by bringing in the top on ice operations people from Calgary and funding an analytics department made up of some analytical studs.

It seems Carlyle has brought in a new defensive system, breakout, and forecheck which may be better suited to the current roster than it was last year. This is what I can tell from all the preseason games and the one practice I watched but only time will tell.

They have replaced the bottom 6 forwards with more hockey talent then braun. Im sure orr and McLaren will clear waivers so if we need them they will still be called up.

We quite possibly drafted one of the most talented players in the draft in young William Nylander, and I am very happy to see him sent back to Sweden, Modo to be precise. This league excels at developing young players, he really just needs to gain some size and not try to do everything himself in some situations, he will be a leafs staple in 2 years time.

I was impressed at some of the depth of talent in the organization. The marlies have had a great team the last few years and it showed. Carrick, Bodie, Holzer, Smith, and Biggs will all likely make it to the big leagues one day. And Kozun, Percy, and Leivo had a great showing and seem to be poised to make the team or at least be a constant call up this year.

Bringing in Polak and Robidas will help settle the blue line down and provide some great mentorship for the youngsters on defense. Furthermore, we now have an equal number of left handed and right handed shots which will help Dion Phaneuf the most. Getting him back to his natural side will help him get the shot off quicker in the offensive zone. More importantly it should eliminate a lot of his sloppy giveaways since he will have more options coming out of his own end on the breakout while on his forehand.

They resigned Reimer which is good. Maybe he will play great and up his trade value so he can be dealt midway or maybe he will push Bernier to keep the starting job. I don't believe Reimer has the ability to be Toronto's numero uno but healthy competition is great.

All in all I would say I am happy with the changes made so far. Everyone can say that they needed to get a number one centre or offload Phaneuf but I assure you those are near impossible deals to come by and offloading your captain after a terrible season doesn't make much sense when his trade value is at its lowest.

The youngsters keep developing. Gardiner is poised to make a big jump up the stat sheets this year, and if Reilly can just avoid a sophomore slump that's great for them. Kadri trained hard in the offseason and worked on his faceoffs and his quick shot release so hopefully we will see a jump in icetime and production from his line as well.

That's all I can think of for now, hope you enjoyed the read whether you agree or not!!!!! GO LEAFS GO

Prediction: Leafs miss the playoffs by one point, However it won't be because of a late season collapse or after Christmas skid.

-pairofgreenhorns

That's all I can think of for now, hope you enjoyed the read whether you agree or not!!!!! GO LEAFS GO

Prediction: Leafs miss the playoffs by one point, However it won't be because of a late season collapse or after Christmas skid.

-pairofgreenhorns

Awesome well written and thought out post! Thanks for taking the time to share.

.As for missing the playoffs. I think were in but barely..Heres my line of thinking. Who else is going to get in? All the good talent seemed to have went west.

Buffalo will suck as they always do, Carolina now has no D or a Goalie.Montreal gave away most of thier big D , Islanders did make some moves and they may get in this year.Rangers, Philly questionable in comparison to Toronto. Boston maybe Detroit who knows.Sens and devils have no chance. Tampa and Columbus will most likely get in too. I also predict Washington to be and big ol Nopers.This is all just my opinion and take it for what you will

I personally like the Leafs chances (to get in not win the cup). They added 2 solid lines and shed a ton of dead weight.. Im excited to see what we have. Santorelli, Winnik, and Leo K give us a legit PK. I think Pollack is a beast and if Robidas can stay healthy he will be a stud..If not we have Percy and Granburg waiting for their turns. Percy will be sent down when Franny is healthy and he took part in the entire practice today.

Go Leafs Go!

without a doubt this is a better team than last year, but remember they finished 12th, i see them slide in around 9th-8th. If they do make the playoffs it will be barely.

Biggest points for this season, if JVR Kessel Kadri and Lupul can keep tearing it up on offence, they will get the leafs into the playoffs, these guys all have the potential to be a point a game.