What is the history of OFC?

Old Ironmaker

I am a member of a few Ontario based fishing forums. OFC has to have the largest membership by far of those that I'm involved in and spread across Canada and the USA. For any of the administrators and or long time members what is the history of the site? How many members are there here on OFC? When and why was it created, forums just don't miraculously appear out of nowhere, who created it? It always comes up as the #1 site on both Google and Bing search engines.

I've always wondered about the history here and now I ask.

Thanks

Johnny D

Started by TJ for sure but it is pretty much run by the mods. I have been a member for 15+ years (since near the beginning I think). I'll let someone more in the know give you the real roots and history.

Pretty Sure--They are a Team Effort

Mod Squad included

15 years commands respect what ever body of water you decide to Fish With Cliff-even on the NET

Roy knows the answer--jk

Have a good week all-be interesting to see the answer as well

Bet yah a girl is involved

Play Safe

Paul

I can't remember exactly when I joined...It was way back when a few of the members were having a pissing match against each other, probably 14 years ago...

It's been a hoot and a half ever since...LOL

Hard to remember to call it OFC...

It was Ontario Fishing Network way back when...

Edited by Beans

I was member # 77 on the original board which is 4 versions ago. I do not remember the year but it was quite a few ago. T.J. was the originator of the board and he then brought on a few administrative folks to help run the board who do double duty as mod"s. The admin's all help mold the board into what it is now and make it the great place that it is.

Thanks to everyone who add to the board and come back year after year

Art

I have been around for about 12 -13 years now and yes it has been a fun and informative ride to say the least .

This is funny because I just ran into an old member ( Diplip ) at Cabelas last week and we were briefly talking

about the old forum . Not to sure about the history of the site but I'm sure TJ will answer that .

Edited by 4x4bassin

I have been here since 1999. I don't think it was around too long before that.

A lot of interesting people have come and gone over the years. It is alway interesting when someone digs up an old post and we see all of the old members.

Edited by JohnBacon

Ahh... history.... Creation Date: 1999-07-02 - This was originally a piece of my original fishing site. www.ontariofishing.net . Its been through some changes through the years.. the last one was when it became evident some years ago that it needed tobe its own entity. we went through many versions, discus forum, proboards etc.. and finally this format which has been pretty consistent, if not costly as well. I started this from the idea that another board was doing, the old Toronto Zoo" fishing board, but tried to incorporate more into it, ie a emagazine, classifieds etc. There is alot of users here that have been here since the very beginning. and we are very much a community still. I have the old old board downloaded somewhere ill dig it up and find an old post or two when i get home.. and yes Roy and Aplumma steer the ship, that's for sure.

I have been around since 2002. I have to credit this forum and community which really added a big boost to my enthusiasm for the sport by helping reduce the learning curve for many applications and situations and for more importantly helping meet and "hook up" many great people who have eventually become way more then just buddies.

Thanks again TJ and crew!

I joined OFC in 2001 looking for a map of Lake Baptiste as I was heading to a cottage. JohnBacon was kind enough to email me a map that I laminated and have to this day behind my bar. I lurked for the next few years to rejoin on 07. I've learned so much from this site over the years and gone fishing with a few good guys from the board.

Edited by mistaredone

Ahh... history.... Creation Date: 1999-07-02 - This was originally a piece of my original fishing site. www.ontariofishing.net . Its been through some changes through the years.. the last one was when it became evident some years ago that it needed tobe its own entity. we went through many versions, discus forum, proboards etc.. and finally this format which has been pretty consistent, if not costly as well. I started this from the idea that another board was doing, the old Toronto Zoo" fishing board, but tried to incorporate more into it, ie a emagazine, classifieds etc. There is alot of users here that have been here since the very beginning. and we are very much a community still. I have the old old board downloaded somewhere ill dig it up and find an old post or two when i get home.. and yes Roy and Aplumma steer the ship, that's for sure.

Thank you TJ so very much. And a special thank you to Roy and Aplumma for the hard work everyday. I do remember OntarioFishing.net years ago when I was member of OFHA. I was working on a protest ( when I had the energy) when The Feds posted signs on all the Fed run piers saying " NO FISHING ". It worked they took them all down.

I really would be interested to know approximately how many members there are. I guess I could go down the list of members and count them if I really wanted to know couldn't I?

I have been around since 2002. I have to credit this forum and community which really added a big boost to my enthusiasm for the sport by helping reduce the learning curve for many applications and situations and for more importantly helping meet and "hook up" many great people who have eventually become way more then just buddies.

Thanks again TJ and crew!

Hey fishdawg, i remember you from Canadian sportfishing mag. contests back 95'-96' or so.....lol

Been around OFC since 2002 as well, could not believe my enthusiasm.

My first internet computer and digital camera allowed me to post endless fishing adventures back then.

Fun stuff and perfect compliment to advancing fishing technologies.

Great site.

I forget how I got here and now I can't leave

Everytime I try to get out..........they PULL me back in!!!!!!!!!

Joined up four, or, five years ago. Haven't been participating much lately, but, I've met some really good friends through this board. Once you wade through the Bull, and "winternet" it really does have a good bunch of core people.