2 Questions - Need a new cell phone and GPS

Entropy

My current GPS is a Garmin E-Trex Legend. It is black and white, and easy to use, and I have the Topo Canada Maps for it somewhere. But, it no longer works. At this point all I really need a GPS to do for me is to be able to mark a few points, and be able to get back to them after haphazardly chasing game after a shot is made, marking a few shoals on a lake, or to get unlost.

My current cell phone is an old 'colour' flip phone. It needs a new battery, but still works. I'd like one that I can use on my Bell pre-paid account, and that has a camera with some storage for photos and music and video, and does the wifi thing so I can read stuff like this site while laying on the couch, I don't plan on using it much for data, only in an emergency when I need to look up a phone number or such.

#1 If I was to buy a new Cell and a GPS, what would you recommend.?

#2 Could I get away with a new cell phone that has GPS built into it. Does this exist? Will it work even as a true GPS when out of cell tower range?

Thanks,

Entropy

For GPS I have a garmin Dakota 20. I use this mainly in my kayak or if I'm hunting. It is a great unit, not that expensive and colour and touch screen. I don't use it in the boat as I have a combo unit, so I bought it due to its small size and portability, along with it being very functional. I'll admit, if it was going to be my primary source of GPS in my boat, I may have bought a bigger screen, but for just marking a few spots, or getting back to the dock it works great! As for smartphones, I've used blackberry, android and iPhone, and in my mind iPhone is the only way to go. I have no idea if it will work with a prepaid card though.

I have a Garmin Map (I think it is a 76, I'll get it out later and see) that you can have. One minor problem, one of the little battery tabs broke off but I also have a second unit (which doesn't work but the battery tabs are good). If you are at all handy (or know someone that is) they are yours if you want them.

As for the cell phone thing, there are plenty of options, I just sold a perfectly good Blackberry for $50.00 with a case and charger which would have done everything you wanted.

I like my handheld GPS (Etrex Legend HCx), I've added a bunch of contour maps to it and the batteries (2AA) last a LONG time. I'd probably get another Garmin handheld. I am not up to date on what the current models are, but probably a color model that takes AA batteries and has the maps I need.

I have an HTC One and it's a good phone. I have used the Navionics Boating app with it and it worked fine. However, it's hard to read the screen and the battery doesn't last as long, especially when the GPS is on.

So, for me, I prefer the separate GPS and phone.

However, the thing is, everyone has a phone. The Navionics app is very cheap. Try that route and see how it works for you. Personally, it wasn't for me with my current phone. I'd check out some IP67 phones (waterproof/dust proof) if you're planning the phone only route.

Of course now you can even get this wireless sonar that hooks up to your phone/tablet!

Google Maps GPS works like a charm...I have an iphone and opted to not get navigation in our recently purchased car.

The iphone recently just took us all over Nova Scotia including backroads absolutely no problem.

Get a used Iphone with Google maps, done deal.

I have an Iphone with Google maps too and love it BUT if he is out of cell phone range it won't be much help to him.

Entropy, I know a ton about cellphones as I have worked in telecom in one aspect or another for 15 years. When you get close to making your purchase pm me. A few things to note:

1) Dont buy an iPhone, buy something that you can carry external batteries for amd external sd cards. You will need both.

2) Buy the phone off kijiji. Androids or BB can be found at good rates. Test the camera and sim test it on site. Buy one with the original box.

Ryan

Entropy, I know a ton about cellphones as I have worked in telecom in one aspect or another for 15 years. When you get close to making your purchase pm me. A few things to note:

1) Dont buy an iPhone, buy something that you can carry external batteries for amd external sd cards. You will need both.

2) Buy the phone off kijiji. Androids or BB can be found at good rates. Test the camera and sim test it on site. Buy one with the original box.

Ryan

Just curious, why not an Iphone?

Undoubtedly he is an android or BB fan, much as I am an iphone fan. I had a samsung with replaceable batteries, unfortunately I needed to carry at least 2 batteries just to get through a 12 hour shift. I do this now with one iphone. I have found the androids to be terrible juice pigs, particularly samsung my wife's old HTC wasn't much better. Of course I do carry a spare cable and USB plug in, but it's a rarity that I need to use it, but I even have a port in the boat if needed. I also find the iPhones to be much more intuitive to use, and I've tried all brands. Everyone has their favourite I guess!

Iphones dont have external storage options or the option to swap out batteries. I have used significant amounts of androids and iphones. The best battery life is undoubtedly the Samsung Note series. Replacement batteries for any Samsung can be found on ebay for like $4. It's good if you're camping or off the grid. The removeable sd card option lets you expand storage to a high level and swap out the card into another device for transfer purposes or use on something else. If you buy an 8gb iPhone you are stuck with 8gb. Buying used iphones is also a lot riskier with locked cloud accounts existing these days. Why doesn't iPhone have these options you wonder? They want you to buy more phones......often.

For the purpose of what you want your phone for a droid is much better. You can also buy the dust/water resistant phones like the rugby or s5.

Edited by MuskyMotivated

Undoubtedly he is an android or BB fan, much as I am an iphone fan. I had a samsung with replaceable batteries, unfortunately I needed to carry at least 2 batteries just to get through a 12 hour shift. I do this now with one iphone. I have found the androids to be terrible juice pigs, particularly samsung my wife's old HTC wasn't much better. Of course I do carry a spare cable and USB plug in, but it's a rarity that I need to use it, but I even have a port in the boat if needed. I also find the iPhones to be much more intuitive to use, and I've tried all brands. Everyone has their favourite I guess!

I did have a BB and liked it but my wife had a really hard time trying to use hers so I got us a pair of Iphone 4s and we both really like them. She has figured out how to sync her ebooks between her phone/Ipad mini/and Kobo and she finds it much easier to use that the BB was. Like you, I have no trouble with the battery life but is always good to get feedback and another opinion.

Iphones dont have external storage options or the option to swap out batteries. I have used significant amounts of androids and iphones. The best battery life is undoubtedly the Samsung Note series. Replacement batteries for any Samsung can be found on ebay for like $4. It's good if you're camping or off the grid. The removeable sd card option lets you expand storage to a high level and swap out the card into another device for transfer purposes or use on something else. If you buy an 8gb iPhone you are stuck with 8gb. Buying used iphones is also a lot riskier with locked cloud accounts existing these days. Why doesn't iPhone have these options you wonder? They want you to buy more phones......often.

For the purpose of what you want your phone for a droid is much better. You can also buy the dust/water resistant phones like the rugby or s5.

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond in detail. Information is power!

I think it depends on how 'tech savy' you are as to which option will work best for you. If your worried about not getting reception from cell towers I'd get a separate gps so you don't have to worry. i've had google maps fail when I was about 4 hrs away and didn't have a clue where I was going. It's also taken me to the the wrong location a couple times. That being said most of the newer phones have some sort of gps built in that you can use and for the most part they work fairly well. In terms of the cell phone, If your looking for something thats easy to learn/use I'd go with the iPhone. Most people can pick it up, learn to use it fairly quickly, and it will do everything you want it to and more. The other big one these days is the android phones samsung, htc, lg, etc. I have one of these and for me its great, but it's a little bit harder to navigate around and change things if your not used to it. So your best bet is to go to a cell phone store and try out the phones on display to figure out which one is best for you. Keep in mind that some of the sales reps work on commission so get what you think is going to work the best for you. Hope this helps.