Any garage door guys? NF

ketchenany

I'm not in your area (but I could be) and I'm not a garage door guy but I have fixed a few. Depending on what needs to be done I might be able to help you! If you don't find anyone close by that can help you out, let me know!

Thanks Cliff It may be time to replace it as it's our main entry point and it gets used a LOT! But here is the problem.

Here is my problem it happens more times than not

A Sears model opener 1/2 hp about 13 years old, I have two, but this one door get used extensively, it's our main entrance . . . .

Going up with a remote (in car) or push button outside or inside everything works fine. But on occasion(s) when I close it, it will go down and reverse right away OR go halfway and reverse this happens with all three wall inside, outside by the door and remote (in car) . . . I have aligned the sensors and they are free of any obstruction, I even cleaned the glass.

If I hold down the wall-mounted units it will close every time L

At times everything works fine for a while and then it goes back . . .

It sounds like your sensors need to be replaced. I had the same problem a couple years ago. I think I got replacement ones at home depot for about $30. Quick easy fix.

You could also swap the sensors with the other opener first to verify if that is the problem.

Edited by ssminnow

Sounds to me like the limit switch is being tripped. Seen this myself with my own opener, and solved this issue several times for others all because of the same issue...

Springs over time become weaker, adding more force against the door. Adjust your limit "switches" or adjust your spring( add a couple turns)

Should solve your issue.

G

The same thing was happening to me and after trying a most of the things mentioned here I lubricated the track the wheels run in. The problem was immediately solved and the door was a lot quieter to boot.

vance

As I mentioned it will be fine for a while and then go back to acting up :(

Vance what kind of lub did you use. I was told many years ago NEVER put grease in the track!

Cliff it was a super moon!

I just used some wheel bearing grease that i had sitting around but just about anything would do.

vance

Wheel bearing grease can get pretty stiff in cold weather. I often see snow blowers that guys have cleaned and greased up all nice in the fall, when it gets cold in the winter they can't understand why they are having trouble shifting them. A little light oil might be a better choice IMHO.

HI Kethanany, I had the same issue. I went to Burrell garage doors on Highway 7. They sell a garage door lube in an aerosol can similar to what Lew posted. Lube all the hinges, rollers and other moving metal parts. Also I have a Chamberlain so not sure if its the same, but I adjusted the 'sensitivity' a little bit and it stopped the reversing half way down issue.

Failing that while your at Burrell ask what they recommend, they gave me some good tips when I was there.

HI Kethanany, I had the same issue. I went to Burrell garage doors on Highway 7. They sell a garage door lube in an aerosol can similar to what Lew posted. Lube all the hinges, rollers and other moving metal parts. Also I have a Chamberlain so not sure if its the same, but I adjusted the 'sensitivity' a little bit and it stopped the reversing half way down issue.

Failing that while your at Burrell ask what they recommend, they gave me some good tips when I was there.

Thanks I'll look them up. Thanks for all the replies.

As for putting grease on the track, I was told that any sand or particles that is kicked up will stick to the grease and actually damage the track.

As for putting grease on the track, I was told that any sand or particles that is kicked up will stick to the grease and actually damage the track.

The product I pictured above goes on as a clear liquid then dries and just leaves a slick surface with nothing for any gritty substances to adhere to.

Works well for me anyhoo.