Shorter route to Wawa

can u fish

Heading up to Wawa Friday for our annual fly in fishing trip, this year we are flying into Anjigaming Lake with Parks Fly in fishing will be flying out of Hawk Junction with Hawk Air for 7 days of peace and quite and awesome walleye fishing that Anjigaming has to offer.Now if my calculations are correct it is a 110 Kilometers shorter if I take Hwy 144 to the Sultan road instead of Hwy 17 so hopefully the Sultan Rd is as good a shape as it was last year on our trip to Chapleau I would like to hear from anyone who has been on the Sultan recently on what the conditions have been like and one last thing can anyone recommend a good restaurant In Wawa for dinner as we will be spending one night at the beaver motel before flying out.

Thanks in advance Mitch....

Mitch we took the Sultan road coming home from the John's Lake fly in earlier in August and it was fine!

I cannot in good conscience recommend any restaurant in Wawa itself beyond Subway LOL!

However, the Kinniwabi Pines located on hwy 17 just south of town is excellent! By far the best choice if you're overnighting in Wawa and looking for a place to eat:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g182156-d1873030-Reviews-Kinniwabi_Pines_Restaurant-Wawa_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

I can also tell you that at least imo the Beaver Motel is a hole. In my experience, and I've tried them all, the Mystic Isle Motel a couple km's south of town right on 17 is the best and it's not even close.

http://www.mysticisle.com/

It's on top of a hill on the east side of the hwy. Once at the top you can neither see or hear the traffic, it's very private. Rooms are all recently renovated and very nice with the added bonus being you can back your vehicle right up to your door which you can't with most other motels in Wawa.

Hope your trip goes well Mitch!! On a side note you may want to send some positive thoughts towards Martin and Jenn. Their young daughter was in a serious car accident last week and is hurt pretty bad.

Edited by Mike Borger

We were up in early July for fly-in in that area.

We stayed at the Wawa Motor Inn, had one of the cabins down below, easy load/unload and I have to say that I thought the food was very good as well.

Good luck!!

p.s. We did the long route although there were family of the operator flying in at the same time who came from Sudbury and they did take the Sultan Road and found it to be in good shape.

Edited by SylvanOwner

Hey guys I would like to thank you all for the info that I requested very much appreciated and as for the Motel Mike I have stayed in a few holes myself over the years it can not be any worse than the one we stayed in Nakina a few years back cant remember the name of it though it was right in front of the Airstrip we all slept with our close on lol.

Just to let you know Mike i was speaking with Martin today and his daughter was having emergency surgery due to a severe fracture to her skull and it has created paralysis to the one side of her face he also told me she is going to pull through this and it will be a long road to recovery.

Just to let you know Mike i was speaking with Martin today and his daughter was having emergency surgery due to a severe fracture to her skull and it has created paralysis to the one side of her face he also told me she is going to pull through this and it will be a long road to recovery.

I know, been sending positive thoughts and prayers for several days now. It's a horrible situation, can't imagine what they're going through.