Lake Ontario Salmon

Aaron Shirley

I wasn’t able to get out much during the GOSD derby this year, and when I did, it was typically only for a few hours at a time. I had some good days out and some poor days, and I even got skunked twice. I can’t remember the last time I got skunked on Lake Ontario. I heard similar stories from many guys this year.

It has been hit and miss this season, and when it was good, I wasn’t able to get out or fished the wrong area a few times. I was able to hit it right at times as well and did well. It was a challenging year to keep on fish, and I don’t think I missed too much this season not getting out much.

The success I had was on a mix of flashers and flies and meat. I put out some metal and plugs with limited results. The fish seemed like they were out east again most of the season with the west end picking up late again. I didn’t fish Port Hope this year like usual, but I did manage to fish the south shore once. Mostly, I just fished locally around Bronte with my limited time. I got into rainbows and lakers with lots of small kings and shakers in between mature kings biting.

I did well with Jensen Twinkie rigs and TriggerX cut bait heads. Coyote flashers did well, as did SD’s etc. There didn’t seem to be a real good pattern that stayed except for the Jensen Twinkie rigs. They worked well all season.

I am always sad to see the kings turn dark when they stage, as it means it will all be over soon until next spring. I am ready to start fishing for other things now. I hope to get out my family for one last salmon troll if I can, but other than that, I am looking forward to catching some bass, walleye, muskies etc.

Here are a few photos to end my 2014 salmon season.

GOSD_2014_23.jpg

GOSD_2014_24.jpg

GOSD_2014_25.jpg

GOSD_2014_26.jpg

GOSD_2014_27.jpg

GOSD_2014_28.jpg

GOSD_2014_29.jpg

GOSD_2014_30.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron