steelhead line

creditmaster

I'm pretty thrifty, my wife says cheap :dunno: but I find Trilene XT 10lb works good if your a Wallis caster , a limper line like XL if you side cast

I need someone to teach me the Wallis cast.. I see guys doing it on the river. it looks so effortless. Not for me though. I always find myself trying to get the back lash untangled. :whistling:

Edited by Brian B

Sidecasting is a lot less effortless, lol. There's also the spinning side cast which a buddy of mine does.

Wallis cast does help reduce line twist however (Although I think most of it is from the float spinning, not the casting itself IMO)

Edited by BillM

I use 10lb nano on all my pickerel rods, with an 8lb fluoro leader. I can't see it as being overkill for steelhead! I use 10lb trilene xl on all of my float reels as mainline, and have for many years. I use 30lb powerpro on a diawa 1300 with a 10-15lb mono lead the occasional time I fish salmon in the river systems. The key is your leader. With the advent of fluoro, I haven't used less than 6lb test leader in years, even in clear water. Long gone are the days of 2lb leads and 20 minute battles, now unless it's a really good fish or really fast water (and my home rivers are GB/Huron) I just hoist fish up on the bank LOL.

Edited by porkpie

Which fireline do you guys use? Original, crystal or tracer? I got a spool of 10lbs nanofil but it seems like overkill not that I know everyone seems to use 6lbs.

Fireline Crystal. 10lb Nano will be fine. I like 6lb because it's the diameter of dental floss and casts a mile.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks BIll. I think I will try the nano till it gets cold. Is 150 yards enough?

Yup, I use those same 150yrd spools. I usually use 12-15lb mono for backing then dacron or something else if I've gotta fill a really deep spool. (Both the spools on my Frogwater and Demarco aren't super deep for just mono works fine)

Yup, I use those same 150yrd spools. I usually use 12-15lb mono for backing then dacron or something else if I've gotta fill a really deep spool. (Both the spools on my Frogwater and Demarco aren't super deep for just mono works fine)

Good call on the mono to get to the rim. I bet that makes for a colourful pin, if you use the dacron.