Correct way of measuring a fish

LostAnotherOne

Hey guys. Just wondering what is the official and correct way to measure a fish. Does the measuring tape go on the side of the fish and have it not touching it while its laying on the floor or do you put the measuring tape on top on the fish and hold one end at its mouth and the other at its tail. I think the correct way is to put the tape measure to the side of the fish. Thanks

I asked the CO at the fishing show because of the walleye slot on the Kawarthas.

To pinch or not to pinch the tail

He thought my question was laughable.

Told him I don't want a fine over the 1/2 difference

Can be used either way at both ends of the slot

Never did answer me

A lodge owner up near Wawa told me a story last year.

He had a bunch of German tourists staying a week with some other relatives from Ontario.

Kinda of a family reunion thing.

Half a dozen people staying a week.

They all bought fishing licences for a week or 7 days or whatever it is.

They go out and catch 3 walleye and are so proud...even though we know walleyes in that area are a dime a dozen.

They measured all the fish to be sure of being legal

CO shows up and shows them how to actually measure fish...see, squeeze the tail like this...and this fish here is a quarter inch too long to be legal...thatt'l be $250.00 please

Good thing they didn't have a ripped life jacket or they would really hate visiting Canada

Any CO worth his salt can make any fish grow a quarter inch

From the 2014 Ontario Fishing Regs.

Size Limits – All size limits refer to total length which is a measure from the tip of the mouth with the jaws closed to the tip of the tail, with the tail fin lobes compressed to give the maximum possible length. Provincial regulations are established using the metric system.

The question is do you measure on the contour of the fish which will always be larger than on the horizontal plane. Measure it horizontally without touching the fish, I recommend not pinching the tail for a slot limit fish, this I believe is not clear in the regs. The regs and all legislature are written in order to keep millions of Canadian lawyers in business.

A bump board doesnt lie. Longest possible length with tail pinched and you cant go wrong.

S.

Yes you are right Shane it doesn't get any easier than that !!!! I have a bump board installed in my Lund it so quick to do it as well minimal time the fish is out of the water as well just takes seconds. Cheers