Callander Bay or NW Bay on Nip?

Dutch01

Hey guys, me and a few friends are planning a trip to Nipissing in late September. I've been talking to a few lodges, and I've narrowed it down to one on Callander Bay and one in the Northwest in Lavigne. I don't really know much about either area. One thing I have heard is that the water at the east end can get rough and leave you sitting on shore, while the west is more sheltered. On the other hand, the rental boat at Callander has lights so I could fish the night.

I'm having trouble deciding where to go. Any opinions or advise about these areas would be much appreciated!

Edited by Dutch01

From what I know, it sorta depends what you are after. Generally, if pickerel are your main focus, Callander. If pike , Lavigne. You can likely get to pickerel spots from Lavinge, but it means hitting the big lake and you'll be out in the wind in no time. Callander is small enough that you should be able to get out of the wind behind an island or two even if it comes from the west. And Callander does have pike as well. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it.

Thanks Andy, good tips. I am cool with pike, smallies or walleye, but I know the guys I will be with want walleye above all.

woodenboater, I've been to West Arm before (Lakair, twice), and loved it. I've actually stayed at Wolseley Lodge too, and while the scenery is beautiful, we didn't have the greatest fishing. The best offers I got from lodges just happened not to be there this time around.

Edited by Dutch01

Thanks Bill. I always make sure to put a deposit and ask for a "balance due" invoice to be e-mailed to me, that way there's no shenanigans upon arrival!

I ended up taking the lodge on Callander Bay, the price was just too good to refuse. Hopefully the fishing is good. I will post a report when we get back.

I have fished Callander from 79 to 95 when in laws had a cottage there. I would never fish at night with all the rock ledges and out cropping's since we got stranded overnight on a shoal in late September pre GPS , cell phone, sonar etc. It gets cold. I said we can leave the light on and find our way back. Yea right. If you have ever seen the movie On Golden Pond, that's what Callander can be like. If anyone thinks they know that water they are full of it.

I am planning a trip at the same exact time and have chosen the West Arm, better chance to fish in the protected bays etc.. We have gone up many times in Fall and been blown off the lake. At least that was when they had the Ballet in North Bay!

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty cautious, when I say we will "fish at night" I'm talking about mooring 100 yards off of the lodge dock. Maybe throw out some minnows on lighted bobbers and just chill out. If you mean what I think you mean by the "Ballet" I will keep that in mind if it gets too windy lol

Let's compare notes afterwards

My dad lives in Lavigne,I am going up this weekend to pick up my boat so i will be out fishing a bit. Mostly pike around there although there are a few places that will give up walleye and there is also some nice bass. If you drive up 64 and launch at sucker creek ,there you will have access to pike,musky,walleye and bass.

Stayed on Nipissing just west of Callander near Wasi Falls this year Pickerel limit of 2 and had to be over 18" killed us. Fished pencil reeds and deep drop off in central channel to Callander Bay and nothing. Beautiful little resort, fishing was slow and hard. There the 2nd week of July.

Hi Dutch,

If you decide on the West Arm, my wife and I own a lodge here. The Walleye fishing can be hit and miss in the summer, however in late Sep/Oct there is a fall migration that occurs from West Bay to West Arm. Fish move off the large fertile weeds in West Bay and migrate to the deeper waters in West Arm for winter staging. Things can really turn on in the neck downs if the timing is right. We'd be happy to put a package together for you and I would even offer to take you out myself for a night and show you around. Feel free to give us a call.

Cheers,

Edited by Regan Thompson

Dutch, Is the lodge on Callander Bay or South Shore? All the addresses of the South Shore Lodges are Callander.

You will catch walleye but doubt you will get many (if any) over 18". None the less it should be fun.

As you exit Callander Bay and head towards the South shore you will find the "humps" out in 20-30 feet of water. The humps will hold walleye and bass.

Bring worms and minnows. Bottom bouncers with a spinner or just a hook will work well and charteuse jigs with stinger hook.

I'm booked at Tama Kwa lodge, I'm pretty sure it's Callander Bay.

Thanks for the tips re: "the humps". Are there any fish in Callander Bay, or should I be heading for the main lake everyday?

Also, have you had any luck with worm harnesses there?

Edited by Dutch01

Yes Tama Kwa is in the Bay but close to the main channel. Before you exit the bay in the channel there is a series of small islands to the North-west side. Fishing can be incredible at this time of the season. Still best to use a jig and worm/minnow combination.

Thanks again. If I catch a walleye I will name him Nipfisher lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, me and a few friends are planning a trip to Nipissing in late September. I've been talking to a few lodges, and I've narrowed it down to one on Callander Bay and one in the Northwest in Lavigne. I don't really know much about either area. One thing I have heard is that the water at the east end can get rough and leave you sitting on shore, while the west is more sheltered. On the other hand, the rental boat at Callander has lights so I could fish the night.

I'm having trouble deciding where to go. Any opinions or advise about these areas would be much appreciated!

What about the upper french river?

Never been but I've heard nothing but good things.