Truck Shopping

jimmer

I have started my initial search to replace my aging 1998 Ford Ranger. I have looked at many brands and did some research. It all gets confusing when looking into the different trucks. I am liking the Silverado, but I thought I would throw this out to OFC members to see what your thoughts are on makes, engine sizes, gas mileage etc. It's hard to believe what some are asking for 10 year trucks with 250+ kms on them.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

ur looking for a older truck but take a look at the 2015 :worthy::worthy::worthy: GMC canyon........... BEAST truck

seriously consider the new diesel rams or older/new diesel grand cherokees

i get 9L/100 on the hwy and 10-10.5 towing in my gc. wont comment on city mileage as i rarely spend any time in the city. towing capacity is 7500 lbs.

are you looking for something used or something new? i just picked up a 04 nissan titan a couple months back and so far loving it. i could not believe the prices of 10 year old trucks especially gm trucks. Gm owners are starting to think the resale value is the same as toyota trucks. I had to be different and buy a truck that wasnt apart of the big 3.

I picked up a Ram crew cab 4x4 with the 3.6L 8 speed a month ago. Amazing truck so far. Just got home from a 1600km trip up north with a few hundred km of trail time and averaged 9.8L/100km for the whole trip. Has plenty of power and more than I thought it would have. Had a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Just trying to find something in my budget, so I don't have to borrow money. I might have to change my way of thinking; buy a new truck and a new boat while I'm at it. You only live once; right? LOL

I hate being in debt.

I'm with ya there. I don't owe anything to anyone right now, and I've never been one to buy a brand new vehicle either, but that new dodge diesel is just what I need. Im hoping to get thru the winter, then put my order in for one.....I might not be able to hold out that long! lol

S.

I'm with ya there. I don't owe anything to anyone right now, and I've never been one to buy a brand new vehicle either, but that new dodge diesel is just what I need. Im hoping to get thru the winter, then put my order in for one.....I might not be able to hold out that long! lol

S.

I drove the Laramie with the Eco Diesel today and it is a sweet ride Ram really knocked it out the park with this package!!!

Ram, Silverado, F-150, Tundra, Titan, what's a guy to do.

I was speaking with a buddy last night that has a ton of experience with vehicles and like someone else said there is good and bad with each one. GM is more expensive to buy but less to repair, F-150 is less expensive to buy but more to repair, Rams eat up brakes, etc.

I do like the new Ram with the 8 speed, but again, it involves one of those loans.

Don't buy domestic that's for sure. Spend a little extra for Japanese like the Toyota Tundra.

You couldn't pay me to drive a fullsized Japanese truck.. Nothing to do with it being Japanese either, but there isn't much out there that's better then the big 3.

Now, mid sized trucks like the Tacoma? Japanese all the way.

I really don't know why most complain about the full size domestic trucks, I've been driving them for years. I take care of my trucks, cars and boat and do the proper maintenance.

I currently own and drive a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT package that has 99500 miles on it and is in perfect condition and have had zero problems. I also have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS package that has 260,000 miles on it and besides tires, brakes and oil changes the only things that I have issues with it was a fan unit that was replaced at 125K, a set for U joints at 150K, a fuel pump at 175k and just recently a alternator. The 2002 is probably my favorite ride of all time because of where it has taken me with minimal problems and I wouldn't think twice about hooking up my boat and pulling it north for a trip.

My work has had me behind the wheels of Fords and Dodges but my personal preference is a Chevy

I really don't know why most complain about the full size domestic trucks, I've been driving them for years.

Everyone puts down the trucks they DON'T own Phil, whether they be Ford, Dodge, Chevy or Toyota.

Personally, I normally just skip over these posts.

Everyone puts down the trucks they DON'T own Phil, whether they be Ford, Dodge, Chevy or Toyota.

Personally, I normally just skip over these posts.

Well I wouldn't put it that way 100%. I had 2 Chevs and will never have another. We had 3 1/2 tons at work that rattled and shook and uncomfortable for me. I don't like their seats, I like to be more upright. I don't mind the older Fords, they were reliable and took quite a beating. The newer ones are okay except I don't like the lowness of the steering even with it adjusted all the way up. They ride nice and quiet and aren't bad on gas. The 3 2011 Dodges have the 4.7 and are gas pigs. Other than that, they work every day without any problems other than regular maintenance. 3/4 and 1 tons like to eat front suspension parts but the transmission (stick) and Cummins just can't be beat. I've never owned a Toyo, a little pricey. As for Nissans, after my sons debacle with his, I sure won't go looking for one.