Heading to West Arm/Nipissing this weekend

erexa

Heading West Arm/Nipissing this weekend

Will be staying at friends private cottage around Lakair Lodge area.

I know there is Walleye and Pike/Muskie in the area as well as some bass.

I am newbie, please suggest what lures/bites (if any) to use and where exactly to fish for Walleye? Not a big fun of muskie, but might fish for pike as well.

It's just not sure what type of lures, tackle are used for Bass, Walleye and Pickerel, what are the best times to fish for them etc. I always used worms and it seems to me worms attract lot of sunfish/panfish which I hate and other bigger fish never get onto my hook. So please can somebody answer my questions and preferably with some pictures of suggested lures, hooks, etc

1. What kind of bites/lures, etc are best for walleye, pike and bass (one two per each would be good enough)? Please give me some picture examples if possible.

2. From my experience walleye is fished at night and bass generally in the morning. Correct me if I am wrong and give me couple of more suggestions if possible.

3. If we need to fish at night other than a solid flashlight any special equipment required for that? We will be at night on the open lake so maybe some other stuff required/useful in these conditions

And in general whatever else you find you can suggest that I might find useful :)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Every answer to your multitude of questions can be answered here:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=west+arm+fishing+guides&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&gfe_rd=cr&ei=rOH7U7PQMMqD8QeY1IGQCw

Call the local lodges and they can hook you up with a guide who would be more than happy to answer your questions in exchange for a moderate sum $$$

You're welcome. Good luck and be sure to share your experiences.

Edited by pikeslayer

3. If we need to fish at night other than a solid flashlight any special equipment required for that? We will be at night on the open lake so maybe some other stuff required/useful in these conditions

If your unfamiliar with those waters and your fishing at night without your friend, be very careful as some areas have lots of hidden surprises just below the waters surface that can put a real serious damper on your fun.

I'm with Lew on this one, unless u are fishing just off of the dock. Sounds like u will have your hands full trying out different lures for different species. I have gone up there for years and I still don't go out at night. Lots of unmarked rocks, and if you find yourself too far away without a GPS, you'll get lost and it will get pretty lonely out there. All the islands will look the same at night.

lew and Andy thanks for the suggestions. We have a fully equipped fishing boat (including marine GPS). And we will be at least 2 (most likely 3 people on the boat) so should not have any surprises here concerning hands are full can't pay attention on where the boat is heading to.

But still guys can somebody tell me which lures are generally good for walleye/pike/bass ?

lew and Andy thanks for the suggestions. We have a fully equipped fishing boat (including marine GPS). And we will be at least 2 (most likely 3 people on the boat) so should not have any surprises here concerning hands are full can't pay attention on where the boat is heading to.

But still guys can somebody tell me which lures are generally good for walleye/pike/bass ?

I would pay attention to what Lew and Andy are saying. It's not what you can see that you need to be concerned about, it's what you can't see....Many of us have "found" rocks and shoals that "were not there" last year... :wallbash:

Google is your friend.....

I can provide some help on the walleye. White, pink and orange jigs (in order of my preference) tipped with worms has worked for me, as well as lindy rigs. I also had luck adding the same colour twister tail as the jig and tipped with worm. The key is to keep the bait moving. I like to put my trolling motor down and crawl along as slow as possible. Focus on depths in the 17-25' range and move shallower as night approaches. On bright sunny days in the afternoon, look for areas where trees cast a shadow in 25-30'. Fish all the narrows in that area, they all hold a variety of fish. If you are catching perch, it is usually a good sign that walleye may be around. If your catching rock bass, move on as there will be no walleye around. To get your hopes up, a co-workers father owns a place on the West Arm and says walleye fishing has been pretty good as of late. Good luck!

As for night fishing, be very careful if you dont know the area as others have said. I got spun around once at night in Warren Bay and had no idea where I was. Thankfully, I knew that there was a bridge near Lakair, so I waited for a vehicle to pass over so I know where I need to go. I would recommend you stay near the bridge at night for this reason. You may want to hang out there anyway at night :dunno:. Just watch out for the big rock on approach to the bridge (Lakair side of the bridge). It is usually marked with a bleach bottle.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Many of us have "found" rocks and shoals that "were not there" last year... :wallbash:

You've got that right John, do you remember 3 years ago when I parked my boat right on top of a rock, in the EXACT spot the GPS said was 8' deep and no rocks anywhere in the area.

Sometimes your GPS is just a fancy hood ornament.

I'm with pikeslayer, hire a guide for a half or full day.

I thought I could read structure and find fish on my own on the West Arm. I did OK; but after becoming friends with one of the guides at the lodge; I went out with him on his day off. Man did he do some schooling; he took me to places where we just boated past and never gave a second glance.

You will learn so much from them that it would take you years to figure out on your own.

Nobody likes the idea of spending extra money; but a guide in unfamiliar waters is well worth it.

Hit up some of the lodges in the area or possibly some of the people here can give a line on a good guide?

Dan.

Not sure exactly which cottage your staying at John but I go thru that channel all the time and would certainly know the place if there was a picture.

Lakair Lodge is now out of business...sadly.

Memquisit Lodge is about 3 miles east of there on the north shore or you can go 2 miles up #64 and you'll see their road on your right and just go down there 2 1/2 miles.

Edited by lew

Getting a guide for the day was the best thing we ever did on Nipissing.

We spent the first 2 hours on Cache Bay snagging and tangling like 5 year olds. We hated the weeds but by noon we were ripping every lure through the soup like champs. Think we ended the day over 15 pike and a much learned appreciation for REALLY fishing with a smart plan and a better understanding of lake. I now head to the thickest cover I can find whatever lake I'm on.

I know everyone says "not me" but I 10X agree with the above posters about the rocks there! I swear we were in the middle of the lake in deep water when we took out a prop. Another time we were skating between islands and ended up on slate top in 1' of water bottomed out! We were very careful, had maps, and were warned several times. When locals each have 2 sets of extra props in their boat you should be very weary...

As I said because we are very close to where Lakair was (Look at the red cross on the map) we will most likely fish not in the main lake but in Warren Bay.

BTW is water good enough for kids for swimming for our kids or it will be too cold at this time of the year (it's a big lake it might be cold overall)?

If your kids are anything like mine were when they were younger; they don't care if it's a cold swim as long as they're having fun.

That being said I remember one time up there I had to pull my son and is buddy out of the water. Their lips were blue and they still called me a spoil sport making them come out for a bit. LOL

Dan.

If you decide to go with a guide here is one who really knows the water

http://www.nipissingmuskies.com/

His name is Danny and he comes fully equipped with boat and gear and enough insight to keep you fishing by yourself all week.

I hit the green cabbage with red/white copper spinner baits for all the pike and bass you want.

Art

If you decide to go with a guide here is one who really knows the water

http://www.nipissingmuskies.com/

His name is Danny and he comes fully equipped with boat and gear and enough insight to keep you fishing by yourself all week.

I hit the green cabbage with red/white copper spinner baits for all the pike and bass you want.

Art

Can you guys post here some images of lures/bites you are using. I google what you all write but google results are so different and diverse I cannot figure out what exactly I need to buy.

Edited by John I