2014 slow year for fishing?

I've been reading a lot of comments since I joined that are suggesting 2014 hasn't been a banner year for more than just me. Yes, I've been catching fish, but I'm really having to work my butt off for it. Yesterday for example I spent 12 hours at Moon River/Woods Bay, and only managed 4 smallmouth and 3 pike, none of which were exactly trophys! It's been like this since my spring trip to Onaping. Mind you I only do inland lakes, maybe larger bodies of water have been better for some? Even Nippissing this spring was mostly Sheephead which has never happened before to us.

I've read some suggesting weather as one possible culprit, any other ideas? Is it a matter of the fish are there just not biting? Are there less fish? Are they just in different places than usual?

Or am I just a horrible fisherman lol

Tony

It's been a very good year for me, but that might be because I've lucked into some opportunities that I might not normally get. Let's not forget that the cold spring pushed summer back by a a couple of weeks at least. We were at Killarney from August 9 to 17, and the mosquitoes were out like it was still July.

I've been using the excuse that it's a week year class for all species and I'm staying with that.

Exactly. lol.

It's been a different year all around. Winter laker numbers were down a little but getting on and off lakes with the big snow was trickier, and more days the hut was needed because of the cold. Adds up to more energy spent. Many people on Quinte had a banner ice season though...

Spring... when it finally arrived the timing was off. Finished with crappie and bows before they even really got going. Lakers were more scattered with the colder lake temps too, and the walleye were really weird. Patterns were off, no doubt about it. Had to work harder... adapt. Sometimes it was too late. Gar were about the only thing good to me this year, but they were harder to catch overall too. Lots of long fish, but overall skinnier. They were late and slow to put the feed on, and not a good spawning year either.

Only fished one day in the past two months at home. Been traveling. Slave great but nothing to compare to, yet Nipigon was different. Weed oriented big pike were tough, specks and lakers good though. Hear the bass season isn't up to snuff for many, and that muskie in July were slow, but it's improving now. Not sure how the salmon guys did overall, but judging by reports... it hasn't been a good year..

Fall fishing up next... hope it drags on with sunny, colorful days. Looking forward to smallies, eyes and skis.

The weather has been messed. Up and down like a yoyo all year. Tough winter, late spring, cool summer.....certainly not "normal"....whatever that is.

I can't say the fishing has been "bad" though. I've still caught lots of fish, just had to work a little harder, and adapt to conditions more.

S.

The weather has been messed. Up and down like a yoyo all year. Tough winter, late spring, cool summer.....certainly not "normal"....whatever that is.

I can't say the fishing has been "bad" though. I've still caught lots of fish, just had to work a little harder, and adapt to conditions more.

S.

You said what I said in just two sentences... lol.

2014 sure has been quite a bit slower for me, kinda relieved to see this thread LOL. I was starting to take it personally. Walleye has been slow in my home water (upper Ottawa River) as well as in a couple of the lakes we go to when the river gets too stupid.

Haven't been out as often as we'd like, the fiance and I are fair-weather fisher-folks. Didn't miss the humidity but less wind and rain would have been nice.

There is always next year...I'm sure the ice fishing won't be too affected though.

Definitely a tough season. The muskies have just started to show up for me, and the bass fishing has been lousy. Still caught some, but not like previous years. Someone mentioned sheephead ... I am the king of those things this year! I've never seen so many and have caught a couple of big ugly ones. :clapping:

2014 sure has been quite a bit slower for me, kinda relieved to see this thread LOL. I was starting to take it personally.

I gotta admit Spanky I'm glad to see others have struggled a bit as well, must be pretty bad for this many fisherman to admit they are struggling, being such a proud lot!

I'm still learning, so I asked based on what I've seen around me as well as what I've read. To go to Massassauga off Georgian Bay and catch 6 small fish in 12 hours something must be up. I'm pretty new to fishing but thats an area of Georgian Bay where even a bent needle with chewing gum should normally yield more than that! I tried everything and probably covered 7 miles of water.

Last year the pike and Bass were literally jumping into my boat, makes me wonder where the hek they all are? Out in the big water? Thats my third trip since June and its been like that all three times.

Been a good season, going in expecting the fish to be in certain places like they were last year definitely isn't going to work however.

I forgot that part, almost 80% of what I caught this year was 5-100yards away from spots i hit last year, fish definitely set up different spots within most areas.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Fishng the same old patterns day after day expecting the fish to be there because they 'should' be isn't going to work. You've gotta mix it up. The past two weeks I've been getting most of my big smallies vertical jigging out in open water because they are chasing shiners (Add in some bonus fat walleyes as well). Did very well on Sat out in Parry Soud fishing weed edges in 10-14ft of water catching some giants on topwater (yes topwater, mid day, bluebird skies go figure)..

This year is definitely not like last year, Weed growth is way off, water temps are down,etc.. The fish aren't going to be in the same places. If you spend 15-20mins fishing a certain pattern and it doesn't work, change it up. Sometimes I'll drive around for a good 15mins watching the graph before I even wet a line. I love fishing, but I hate wasting time fishing patterns that don't produce. My oldman gets pissed because we're constantly moving, etc but he doesn't complain when I'm slipping the net under a 6lb smallmouth he nailed off a weed edge fishing a popper :)

The bass fishing for me has been subpar. Last year I was getting numbers and size, this year I'm not landing the fish in the same spots. I've tried different areas, landed a fish here and there...I just can't seem to catch the pattern. Usually I am nailing smallies and have yet to land one (well I didn't count the OOS Smallie). All largies and pikes. I'm perplexed!

Edited by wkimwes

I fish the French usually 4 times a season. My first trip in late May produced some good walleye fishing, but only in areas of current. High water and weed growth even in normally thick weed bays was virtually non existent. Next trip in late June produced fabulous walleye fishing wherever there was some weed growth...but very few pike and bass. Last weeks trip was pretty lousy. Where I fished last August and caught bass all day on wacky worms, I caught so few I quit using them. Weed growth was minimal, and so were pike. Never saw a muskie, although I targeted them 3 or so hours a day at least. Only thing that worked consistently, but not constantly, was small poppers on ultralight.

I did see several otters....very cool and more than I've seen in years.

Going back in mid September to target muskies almost exclusively....hoping for better fishing.

The year started pretty well for me, i even had a great day out on Canada day catching pickerels, which is usually a dead weekend by that point as things really slow down once the water warms up on the bay.

Made a trip to the Kawarthas in July and caught a boat load of fish, but really struggled with size.

And then things have come to a screeching halt. Ive put close to 30 hours in fishing since that trip to the kawarthas and all i have to show for it is 1 small mouth and 1 small pike.

I am hoping the continued high water levels in Georgian Bay (relatively) makes for a better run in the rivers come October/November...we shall see.