Killarney smallmouth, nearly a record!

Dave Bailey

Ontario record - 24" This one - 22" Weight unknown, but it was HEAVY!

Couple of angling faux pas here. You'll notice that I'm using a rather poor net. Damned if I can find my rubberized one, so the back-up was drafted into service. Second, well, I kind of dropped the fish. My arthritic wrists were a bit sore that morning, and a sudden strong wriggle overcame my grip. Oh well, it was none the worse afterward.

It was reported to the Park Warden, a nice chap named Jamieson Dyer, and he was thrilled to see how big the smallmouth are getting in there. He was thrilled? Hell, I was over the Moon with my new personal best!

Setup was my usual quick and dirty drop shot, circle hook palomared about 2ft up the line, and baited with an XZone Slammer. Toss it around some rock falls, and just wait for the fun to begin.

Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4v_ErZrt_Y

awesome fish !!! , you stayed pretty calm, lol

great video of the hog !

Thanks. Might not have been so laid back if I had known how close it was to the record, didn't find out that until I was telling Jamieson about it. Up until then I just figured I had a personal best, and didn't want to go overboard. Like the old football saying goes, "When you go into the endzone, act like you've been there before." :P

Edited by Dave Bailey

awesome. aside from that one how long were you there and how many did you catch? im always down for trying new lakes

I had two break off that felt very big, but didn't get to see either one. Out of all the rest the largest was maybe a pound. But there is quantity in George Lake, and that counts for something in my opinion! B)