2 Weeks of August Bassin. The Report!

MCTFisher9120

Hello everybody here on OFC, it's mid August once again and I just got back tonight from 2 fantastic weeks of fishing a few hours north east of here on my favourite lakes. We showed up on the first Saturday in August and had awesome weather until this past Wednesday. We had 25-30degree days and full sun with little cloud. It was hot at times but I fish hard from 5am on the water until 6 or 7pm at night. I take breaks and bring out either my Dad, Brother or Uncle once a day sometimes twice depending how tired they get but I'm doing what I enjoy and it doesn't tire me out it seems.

Here we go starting with the first bass of the trip lot's of these bass were caught on a variety of baits. My success for largemouth primarily came on 3 things, the PTL swim bait and 3.5" TRJ that I've sworn by for the last 3 or 4 years, the froggy's by Snag Proof and last Megabass poppers and jerk baits. I finally got into smallmouth action this year on some tubes jerk baits and top waters in the early and late parts of the day.

Day 1, we arrived by noon and got on the water for 5pm after setting up camp the first day, awesome little place near the lakes edge.

Here was #1 of the trip working some deeper weed while moving towards the slop.

DSCF4648_zps13e91566.jpg

Day two started out well, got up early as normal and worked a big clump of pads on the small lake, got this one a few ounces under 4lbs

DSCF4664_zps9f1078b0.jpg

Later in the day I went out after breakfast working a upper part of a stretch I had success in the previous season. Paid off with this nice big largemouth just under 5lbs

ff9d04bd-8ecb-40b0-8e41-8885f5a22588_zps

The afternoon produced some smaller bass but this one was enough for me. Next day was when the big largemouth of the trip showed up, hit the nickel mark. What a awesome largemouth bass!

DSCF4671_zps322f4ff4.jpg

Not to much later this one popped the froggy!

DSCF4673_zps3d5b1778.jpg

Next day was slow as the temps rose, I got this nice little chunky bass on the popper early on. Got them around this size all day with most in the 1.5-2lb range. I then wanted to search for smallmouth with the new equipment I picked up, throwing straight 10lb fluoro on the 6'8, didn't loose a fish all trip and picked my times to throw the arrangement of baits. Worked well

DSCF4697_zps05875745.jpg

First smallie on the jerk bait in August, had to try something else and it escalated into a bunch of nice fish!

DSCF4702_zpsf5894f52.jpg

And another quick one on the jerk bait.

DSCF4705_zps977f72ab.jpg

Went down to the boat for a half hour after dinner went down to the boat throwing topwater ad got a nice bass. Had dad come down and take a pic while I tested my live well I ran for 2 or 3 mornings worked well.

DSCF4732_zps382e0eb3.jpg

Morning once again got this big smallie out deep on a tube outside of camp.

DSCF4735_zps4b3d720a.jpg

This morning I took my uncle out for a 3 or 4 hours, we did smallmouth for the first hour and I got 3 culled one as I wanted just 4 in the well for the morning for a picture, the aerator and pump made those fish so hard to grab the handful of ice and constant change of water was key. We got 5 that morning 3 to my credit and 2 to his. Was a blast!

DSCF4741_zpsd6adb3ab.jpg

Was frogging all afternoon and got the big smallmouth bass of the trip out off the deep rock, wind was blowing right and the fish was there…can't wait to get a fish finder in the boat next year, forgot it at home but made due just fine :)

DSCF4752_zps08659dcd.jpg

And the fight of my life was on, there nuts the jerk bait and fish jumped 4 feet out of the lake boat side then so many head shakes above water I thought I had a heart attack haha

DSCF4761_zps09f32686.jpg

Next morning I nailed my first good swim bait fish, gave me all the confidence I needed to stick with it some days.

DSCF4766_zps84880b6f.jpg

My 2 for the morning, good one on topwater and the swim bait. Was a happy man haha.

DSCF4771_zpsd5e6beb3.jpg

Dad with his first good one of the trip, was quick on the trolling motor and net when the fish was on pumped for him.

DSCF4776_zpsb2ae06ce.jpg

I got him by a pound or so :P Nice one flipping the cover behind the frog.

DSCF4777_zps092524ef.jpg

Later my uncle got onto a nice largemouth

DSCF4786_zps398f7bc2.jpg

Got the popper out the love the small baits sometimes!

DSCF4790_zpsc9f1a890.jpg

She was chunky(same fish)

DSCF4793_zps8bb8b36d.jpg

Later on, big largemouth.

DSCF4797_zpsfde3c97e.jpg

Flippin the cover, I like the 3/4oz tungsten for this stuff always and 22lb fluorocarbon

DSCF4801_zps9fda4ca9.jpg

Big one of the following day for me.

DSCF4816_zps17acf5ec.jpg

My uncle once again with a dandy largemouth. They fight hard when they use the heavy spinning gear.

DSCF4819_zpsa8bb4c70.jpg

Smallmouth action, they fight so hard. 3.5" FoodChain Tube on 12lb braid

DSCF4824_zpsd5d15127.jpg

Frogging a big pad bed only bite in the bay but worth the half hour pass through before breakfast

DSCF4827_zps1c646406.jpg[/url

Yes I fished in the downpours most of the day when the cold front hit haha

DSCF4832_zps3ca9b7f6.jpg

Haha my uncle with a Pike, first fish on a bait caster…there getting better :P

DSCF4834_zps150ffd2e.jpg

Taking a break it was awful but better than sitting in a tent complaining

DSCF4836_zpsdf29fc27.jpg

Big Pike

DSCF4839_zpsbcf0e6f0.jpg

Nice smallmouth on the tube, made the day for me

DSCF4841_zpsbfba3148.jpg

Dad with a nice bucket in the rain later on after the boys switched up and I stuck it out.

DSCF4845_zps793e60c0.jpg

Weather was ok the next day, here was a largemouth in the afternoon slow morning all small ones.

DSCF4846_zps6577b68f.jpg

Yes not a Black Blue Red Flake craw like always, tried the Green Pumpkin Purple Flake and it got me 2 nice bites, this one in 3-6ft deep fast current and rocks.

DSCF4849_zps50582c75.jpg

He liked it too, great fight made that day end right!

DSCF4850_zps02e85e4b.jpg

Last morning, Friday it was. Good one in the cold brrr was 10 or 12 degrees wasn't impressed waking up :P O well had a job to do, fishin time.

DSCF4855_zps65567097.jpg

Dad with one later on Friday morning

DSCF4864_zpsb8b10117.jpg

And I got the last one of the trip. Was a blast and what a crazy weather change we went through. O well had fun and can't wait to get back.

DSCF4858_zpscbfc24bf.jpg

DSCF4862_zps6da73a89.jpg

Putting my foot up on the dock post on the last night…Take a break guys, it's well worth it you only live once.

Thanks for looking and reading, good fishin!

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

That's some great product placement... Lol

Funny how so many fish got hooked on the left side of their mouth... Lol

Great pics and nice largies.... I just picked up some flipping baits and gunna do a largie day soon...

Haha love it, many of the fish had the baits chocked, almost all frog fish popped the hook out and show it off…and sometimes on plastic the fish lost r on me so some normal pics mixed in also. I've always been one to show what baits I catch fish on some guys hide that :P Thanks for the kind comments :)

Thanks to the other guys as well! Was a blast!

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Haha love it, many of the fish had the baits chocked, almost all frog fish popped the hook out and show it offand sometimes on plastic the fish lost r on me so some normal pics mixed in also. I've always been one to show what baits I catch fish on some guys hide that :P Thanks for the kind comments :)

Thanks to the other guys as well! Was a blast!

I almost never think to do it until after they're back in the water.... Lol