Can I replace my kicker with a 24V 80 lb. electric?

Old Ironmaker

I've heard great things re: 80 lb. thrust 24V bow mounted electrics. I have a 24V 55lb. Motorguide that I call the hood ornament as I never use it now. I don't fish back bays, the river or structure as I have gotten the long lining bug here on Erie. Nothing like a limit of 8 pound plus Pics and a few bonus Bows to switch from Smallies real fast. I have a 15 horse 2 stroke Merc, electric start with throttle and shifter control mounted right now. I'm thinking if a 80 pound 24V will do what the kicker does trolling on the big water I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, plus I can get $1200.00 all day long for the mint kicker and controls I can put towards a new electric and a few bucks for the 55lb Motorguide with wireless foot controller. The elec. will do it on glass like water but I need to run it hard and the batteries don't last long.

I have a 19' StarCraft Superfisherman 190 with a 115 Merc. 2 stroke the 15 HP kicker, full windshield, front and rear casting platform. I don't know the gross weight of the boat, it is heavy. Will these 80lb thrust electrics replace the kicker? I have read there are 100lb electrics out there now, big bucks though. It is big water with the big winds and waves. We will troll up to 3 MPH at times. Is it doable realistically?

Thanks

Johnny D

I troll with 70 lb MinKota in my 17.5 ft Lund.

At half speed I get 1.5 mph for eyes in calm water

In high winds would likely have to crank it right up.

Not sure how long the batteries would last at full speed. Maybe 3-4 hrs.

I wouldn't want it as a spare motor 5 miles out on Lake Erie in bad weather

if the main motor failed

My 101 lbs thrust on my 19 ft Lund does bout 3.5 mph on calm water at full tilt

With a decent chop I can get it up to bout 2 mph

Havin said that, I'll get maybe 6 hrs running it at full tilt

I would give it a go but get more power than the 80 lbs

There is a good deal of security knowing I have a back up if I need it with the kicker, I did need it this year once, actually first time out with the new to me kicker, and she did 6MPH in 1 meter rollers, battery dead on big girl there was just enough to turn over the 15. Forgot I'm not charging anything with the kicker and with all the electronics on she died, plus the battery although new did have a problem. It shouldn't have died but that stuff happens out there. Proctors replaced the 1 year new no questions asked.

We figure a good rule of thumb here is a mile per 10 feet, so it's 10 miles to get to 100 feet where the fish should be this time of year. 5 miles out and we are only at 48 feet at Nanticoke Shoal. The consensus talking with guys at the marina and the local watering hole is a 80lb won't do it, maybe a 100 for 3 or 4 hours. No one around here has tried it. If I have to spend for a 100lb thrust, and I'm almost afraid to look at the price, I keep the kicker on and buy 2 new deep cells for the 55.

Thanks guys for the info, I appreciate your input.

JD