Pigeon Lake / Kawarthas

T-Bone

Just booked a long weekend beginning of October on Pigeon Lake near Bobcaygeon. Staying up on the north end out of Trail's End Lodge for 3-days. Primary reason for the trip is to celebrate my 50th b-day with a couple of long-time buddies that I've been with on many fishing vacations up north. Most of these guys came into the fold of the annual trip to Pigeon Lake just after university in the late-1980s. My cousin and I go back into the 1970s, as does another guy we're friends with now, and it's pure coincidence (small world) that he too would spend a week up there every summer with his family. I'm sure so many memories will come flooding back when we're there. I can't wait. Now we collectively spend the annual trip up on Lake Kipawa and love it there for many reasons.

We'd like to get some fishing in when we're on Pigeon Lake, and I'm just looking for a few general suggestions on the patterns (not locations) that time of year. I know that part of the lake fairly well and a couple of you had some location suggestions several weeks back. I'm not even sure what species are open during that time. Largemouth? Smallies? Musky? Walleyes? I suppose I can look that up in the regs. Just looking for a general sweet spot of tackle to take up with me based on common patterns in early-October.

Thanks for the insights....much appreciated.

my understanding is that pigeon/buckhorn are much much quieter come fall as the trailer parks all close down. Ive only fished them during the summer time, however i know that the bridge leading into buckhorn Pigeon side held a lot of fish...i personally caught smallmouths, and largemouths, and my buddy nabbed a pickerel there. I also witnessed a guy who seemed to know what he was doing running for musky on the bridge side of the channel.

I also saw a whole pile of massive massive carp specifically in the area right near the bridge. This was all during summer, but i cant imagine the hoards of fish in this are would all be gone come october.

Good info. Thanks. And after re-reading my previous post from a few weeks back on this subject there was more info in there than I realized. I couldn't get to the board for a few weeks and only saw a few of the responses right after I posted it.

I'll be sure to let you know how we do....

Go deep. Heavier jigs, and deeper diving baits. Ive cauught walleye in 60fow at that time of year on pigeon. Big live minnows help.

Trolling over deep open water has coughed up some big muskies in that area too. 10" believers work great!

S.

everything will be open.

lots of guys trolling fast with big baits for skis.

fishing can be great or bad.

water levels stay high till Thanksgiving. then they drop.

the fish have seen a lot of lures by then

I have better luck in these, my home waters, in the spring.

fall can be tough, weather more unpredictable