Need GPS/Sonar Recommendations

Fish4Eyes

My Lowrance Lcx 27C will no longer turn on after only 5-6 years of use. Unit is getting power. May have used it 60 times. POS didn't work properly out of the box. I am now in the market for a new GPS/Sonar combo with a 5-7" screen.

I am hesitant to purchase Lowrance again due to reliability concerns, but after doing some reading it seems that both Lowrance and Humminbird have their issues.

Any members currently running the HDS7 gen 2? If so, how long have you had it? Any issues? Do you recommend the structure scan and is it worth the extra money? Would you recommend the unit?

I was also looking at the Humminbird 859ci HD. Any feedback on this unit?

I am open to other suggestions as well, feel free to suggest.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I got an 898 last spring and I like it. Only regret is that I didn't splurge for the 998. I like sideimaging for following and staying just outside weededges. I didn't use it much at first now use it all the time. Nice tool to have, I recommend it. And biggest screen you can get so you can run split screen with ease.

I think I am going with the ELITE 7 WITH CHIRP. I do alot of lake ontario salmon fishing now . Reading up on it it looks like a great unit. I don't want a gps in the same unit as my fishfinder cause if one goes teats up then I got to replace both .GPS and fish finder.

I got an 898 last spring and I like it. Only regret is that I didn't splurge for the 998. I like sideimaging for following and staying just outside weededges. I didn't use it much at first now use it all the time. Nice tool to have, I recommend it. And biggest screen you can get so you can run split screen with ease.

This is how I fish 80% of the time.

I am running the hds7 with LSS1 gen one as well as a hds5 without LSS1. The down/side scan is helpful if you are in waters that are deeper than 20ft and not weed choked. The units generate great detail on the bottom but it is still up to you to decypher what it is tell you. The number one reason someone has an issue with how a depth finder is working is having the wrong settings or poor transducer placement.

Art

Only thing I can add is do your homework, check the prices at all the different locations and see if they price match before you go. I saved about $250 on a new Lowrance Elite 5 HDI with the gold chip included. Out the door, tax in for $610.

Will do, thanks. It appears amazon offers quite the savings, but unfortunately you don't know if your in for brokerage until it arrives.

I have the HDS 7 and HDS 8 GENII units with LSS2

The extra coin for the 8 is worth it, especially if you're going to use structure scan. The extra display size allows you to run a 4 pane window (sonar / GPS / sidescan / downscan). Another VERY nice feature of the HDS8 is the programmable preset buttons along the bottom of the screen. I really miss this on the 7. It seems to me that the 8 boots quicker and menus / maps load quicker than the 7; perhaps a faster processor? The 8 also has duel SD card slots.

The HDS 7 is a very capable unit and is more than adequate and probably as close to a direct replacement for your LCX27 (at a lot less money than I'm sure you paid for it). I just thought I'd pass on the perks of the 8 in case you were considering it. It's far more than just an extra inch of display for your money.

The Elite 7 is also a nice unit but as mentioned, it is not networkable. The Elite series uses Micro-SD cards so your LCX chips won't work. The Elite 7 also comes optional with HDI (downscan) but structurescan is not available. The HDI unit will display sonar / gps / downscan simultaneously thanks to its widescreen format. The widesceen format also fits well under smaller windshields. If you're replacing an LCX27 this isn't a big concern for you. Infact your LCX takes up more space than the HDS8!

I would highly recommend Angling Outfitters in Woodstock for your purchase. After exchange/state tax/hst, you'll probably come away cheaper. He will set it up for you, install updates whenever you drop in and if you EVER have a problem, he is the guy you want in your corner. Tell him about your LCX, he might know whats wrong with it and maybe even take it in on trade.

I would go with Art's feedback on this one.. He is a Sonar/GPS wizard and actually calibrated mine properly for the first time since I had it. I have HDS5 Gen 2 and have had no issues at all, even in torrential downpours getting very wet. I only hope that Navionics picks up there game and releases more detailed contour maps. As for the down and structure scan, as Art said it's great for fishing deeper waters! Also allot of fun to see what's down there and gives you feedback to cross reference your sonar. If you're in a shallow lake don't bother though.

Also, a number of other companies are really starting to pick up their game including Raymarine and Lowrance. Now that these other big players are entering the market I'll bet the technologie makes leaps and bounds in the next few years.

Agreed with Thread Killer, I have HDS 5 GEN 2 and have had no issues with it. Although wish that screen was a bit bigger! especially when you want to add side/structure scan, which as Art noted is only worth it if you're in deep water. Personally, I would go with HDS 8 to give you the flexibility to add more units, etc. down the road and not box yourself in.

Another note is make sure you calibrate it correctly! Art actually calibrated my unit when he was up here (wait did that sound weird???), and since then I'm seeing things allot more clearly.

I would go with Art's feedback on this one.. He is a Sonar/GPS wizard and actually calibrated mine properly for the first time since I had it. I have HDS5 Gen 2 and have had no issues at all, even in torrential downpours getting very wet. I only hope that Navionics picks up there game and releases more detailed contour maps. As for the down and structure scan, as Art said it's great for fishing deeper waters! Also allot of fun to see what's down there and gives you feedback to cross reference your sonar. If you're in a shallow lake don't bother though.

Also, a number of other companies are really starting to pick up their game including Raymarine and Lowrance. Now that these other big players are entering the market I'll bet the technologie makes leaps and bounds in the next few years.

I think you'll like my map chip; I'll be checking in there on the 30th

use my gen2-8 with structure scan all the time it works good in shallow water can mark dock posts found a 100 ft long old log steamer on my lake with it resting in 10-14 ft of water works ok to aout 20mph weeds can be a issue though you can almost tell what kind of wees it is.

hds can do so many things its crazy