31" Kawartha Lakes Walleye!

Slayingm

During one of my guide trips this past weekend we had caught a number of decent slot sized Walleye and some bass. On one of my casts with the jig and grub I felt the distinct "Thunk" as a fish inhaled my jig.....when I set the hook the fish started pulling drag so told my customers I have a Musky on....well, that was until I saw the huge head and white tipped tail then yelled for the net! This 8.5lb 31" Walleye is one of the biggest I have taken in the Kawartha's the past 6 years and was nice to get a quick pic of this prime breeder and get her back into the water. The fish hit a smoke coloured grub in 13ft of water along a deep weedline.

10525855_10152214030815248_7239993997936

Be safe and Good Fish'n... G.

So Greg, you prefer a grub at the weedline to a bucktail into the weeds?

Or do you do both?

3, 4 or 5 inch?

I catch a ton of Walleye ripping weeds with bucktail jigs and love using them also. I stick with 3 and 4" grubs and minnow style baits and find they work best.

I love the fact that in the kawarthas the slot only allows for smaller fish to be kept, that way monsters like this continue to grow and breed.

Awesome catch

Yes the slot is making a huge difference.... over the past few years I am noticing we are boating so many more Walleye in the 20" + range in lakes like Sturgeon and Balsam which has been great to see.

That's a good fish here on big Erie, heck a 30" plus Walleye is a world class fish anywhere. Kawartha's, never heard of a Pic that size. 10 lbs easy if her girth was filled out. My personal best in the area is 4 pounds at Burley Falls many, many Octobers ago. Even for a guide you must have been very exited. Way to go Sir, well done.