found old reel at yard sale think its 1954 mitchell

skinny

I have a mint Mitchell Cap 304, on my mantel with other old reels, the CAP was similar in appearance to the Luxor of the same era, like the 300 series they were state of the art at that time, and there are a good number of both CAPs and 300s in existence today, and unlike companies who discontinue making parts on reels 5 years after the reels have been discontinued , parts for those reels are still readily available

Mitchell CAP, open faced spinning reel, France, excellent condition, value $26 (2001)

if it was a Mitchell Hugh Big Game 7", it would be $1045

I inherited a big bunch of old reels, I was disappointed to find out what they are worth, I'm going to keep them anyways

About 5yrs ago I bought a 5gallon pail full of old reels for $15 at a yard sale in Barrie. If I remember, there were 10 Zebco Cardinal 4's in there along with a bunch of Mitchell 300's and 301's.....all in very good condition. Needless to say, I had a good couple weeks on ebay and in BC. :)

1. 1954: The "Cap 54." The first full bail. Round aluminum winder knob replaced by flattened plastic knob. The first with planamatic gears (which leads to a short rant - as near as I can tell all the round bodies from this time on, including the first 304's, had planamatic gearing. It was only the later model 304's and 340 that abandoned it, so it is incorrect to say that the 314 is a 304 with changed gearing as everyone does. The later model 304's have the changed gearing, the 314's remained true to the end.) Reel 7

Brings back some memories for me. I got a mitchell 304 as a hand me down from my dad. Great reel it always sounded like you were grinding forks in a garbage disposal but it never failed me LOL. Probably still works if I could find it among the bag of other reels I have.