How would you fish this?

skdds

Hi Guys,

General question: How would you approach this structure/weeds to target pike? What type of lures would you try first and how would you fish them?

Almost all pike I have caught on most trips were incidental but I would like to better target them. The water in the photo is about 10 feet deep and pretty typical of most lakes I fish-muskokas, GB etc. I took it yesterday at the south end of Cooks bay where I was bass fishing and tried for some pike. It looks like great pike water and apparently does produce- though probably better in the spring /fall when water temps come down. I may head back there in the future to re-try. Please school me!

Thanks!

Skdds

IMG_0545.JPG

Johnson weedless minnow tipped with a plastic grub, or some other such trailer.

A large plastic minnow with a weedless hook, or texas rigged.

Any pike spoon can be made more weedless by using a single hook and a plastic trailer rigged so that the hook point is covered.

Spinner baits can work as well.

Spinnerbaits for sure. Really good at not hanging up in the weeds and should go through that stuff without issue (It's not to dense)... Plus you can fish them nice and fast, cover water and figure out where the fish are. I'd guess in that kind of cover you'd find one here and there, not a real concentration anywhere being so sparse.

August? I might be looking for a bit deep water or edges of a flat with deeper water at the end of the edges. in the evening bigger pike might move into feed before dark.

It doesn't look like bad water to fish a jig and pig for pike, especially a perch patterned hair jig with a pork or plastic frog trailer.

You might also try a swim bait.

Regarding the spinnerbaits....how heavy a spinnerbait should I aim for?-skdds

Myself,I would go 1/2 oz. I can really burn that bait then let it drop and rip it. or I can slow roll retrieve it and get down.. Pike like to ambush. I had one that I didnt even see, til it came thrusting out of a layer of weeds. It missed the bait and went back into hiding. Was cool to see.

Aglia #5. Various retrieves and speeds, aiming for the edges and holes or burning across the top at dawn and dusk. 4 inch spoons, perch pattern, or red and white; ditto, also jigging. Jawbreaker weedless, and Rapala weedless spoon in frog and perch patterns, both with pause retrieve, letting flutter down random periods.

Edited by spincast

I was always a spinnerbait guy for weed fishing until I started giving spoons more love for chasing pike. The weedless Johnson Silver Minnow is made for this purpose, it bounces off the weeds and casts further than any lure I've chucked. I never really thought just a silver shiny spoon could be so effective.