Fluorocarbon leader for Salmon trolling?

Lukasaurus

Hey Guys & Gals, I need some advice on using Fluorocarbon as a leader while trolling for salmon in Georgian Bay. Years ago when I fished the clear waters of Georgian Bay for salmon, I caught my fair share of salmon using downriggers with spoons and body baits with14 lb. mono. I took a few years off from fishing (I took up archery), but the last couple years after being back at it, and using the same tackle, line size and trolling tactics have produced very few fish. I know the numbers and size of salmon are way down compared to years ago, but I thought I would have more success than I am having. Well after many hours of poor success I FINALLY realize I have to change my tactics. I am thinking the first thing I should change is use a fluorocarbon leader since that water is really really clear. I was thinking of 14 lb. mono main line and a 14 lb. fluoro leader. How does that sound? Any suggestions on a knot to tie the 2 lines together with?

I have been hearing about lead core line and dipsy divers. What makes lead core better than downriggers. Would the lure have more action using lead core? If so, would a longer lead from the cannon ball not work the same? That's why I was thinking of using a fluorocarbon leader with a longer lead, maybe the cannon ball was spooking the fish.

You spread your lines out because divers take your line down and out to the side while the down riggers just your line straight down.

In the great lakes where you can run two rods per person; the dipsys combined with copper or lead core will allow to run more lines. I only have two down riggers in my boat; but I can run two Dipsys on either side of my boat in addition to running the two down riggers. I could run two coppers or lead cores off a planer board mast and still have room to run a rod with copper, leader, or a diver straight off my stern. This gives me nine options on a 16' boat with two down riggers.

Running straight mono seems to work just fine. I still run straight 15lb mono and seem to do ok out on G-Bay. Although, some guys seem to be doing good with braid and then running fluoro leaders as well... Not sure about the cannon balls spooking fish either I've been marking fish like crazy coming right in checking out my balls the past few weeks. First thing in the morning I like to run close to the balls. Later in the day, when the bite dies I go with a super long lead.

With G-Bay from what I can tell if you're not getting any fish its because they simply aren't there....

Some folks run straight braid when fishing lures for salmon. It's an aggressive strike and they don't seem to notice or care. The reason for using a leader in that case is not to make the line invisible but to create a weak point---or 'fuse'-- so as not to lose a lot of braid on a line break.

OK, thanks guys. I guess changing line is not the answer. I will have to make some other changes to increase my odds.

remember in ontario, you're allowed 4 hooks/lures (trebles don't count as 3 hooks) per line.......when im out we run a slider/cheater line down to the clips with a snap swivel, use about a 5ft leader with a spoon on the end. you want your spread to look like a school of bait fish to draw the bigger fish in

Edited by FloatnFly

remember in ontario, you're allowed 4 hooks/lures (trebles don't count as 3 hooks) per line.......when im out we run a slider/cheater line down to the clips with a snap swivel, use about a 5ft leader with a spoon on the end. you want your spread to look like a school of bait fish to draw the bigger fish in

Good point, my last three fish all came off the cheater spoon.

Being on crystal clear Erie a Flourocarbon leader is a must I strongly believe. Why would I risk the line being seen no matter what clear water you are fishing if technology now gives me the option of an invisible line? Just another advantage to take, can't have enough advantages. Maybe I'm wrong but confidence is a plus.

You spread your lines out because divers take your line down and out to the side while the down riggers just your line straight down.

In the great lakes where you can run two rods per person; the dipsys combined with copper or lead core will allow to run more lines. I only have two down riggers in my boat; but I can run two Dipsys on either side of my boat in addition to running the two down riggers. I could run two coppers or lead cores off a planer board mast and still have room to run a rod with copper, leader, or a diver straight off my stern. This gives me nine options on a 16' boat with two down riggers.

Don"t forget only one rod per angler in Georgian Bay.

With G-Bay from what I can tell if you're not getting any fish its because they simply aren't there....

OH OH OH They were there,oh yes they were there. Graph was full today. Lost a bow,but that was it. Oh they were there today.

Need to figure out what they want. We had the depths covered.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Think we washed every spoon we had.. My lucky half chrome/water melon didnt even produce. :excl:

Ran 10 lb main. That aint going to spook them, as it,s the same I run on Simcoe. :dunno:

Edited by Misfish

I had a problem with fish biting thru my line using flies or meat. Lost many good fish.

Nothing to protect the line if a biggun takes it deep, especially later in the season when teeth are bigger.

A spoon protects the line, usually.

So Charlie Wray recommended 30-40 lb fluoro from flasher or dypsy back. Talked to him about the problem at a fishing show.

Not so much for invisibility. For toughness. Leader material is best. Tougher yet.

Helped a lot.

I had a problem with fish biting thru my line using flies or meat. Lost many good fish.

Nothing to protect the line if a biggun takes it deep, especially later in the season when teeth are bigger.

A spoon protects the line, usually.

So Charlie Wray recommended 30-40 lb fluoro from flasher or dypsy back. Talked to him about the problem at a fishing show.

Not so much for invisibility. For toughness. Leader material is best. Tougher yet.

Helped a lot.

X2 CP

OH OH OH They were there,oh yes they were there. Graph was full today. Lost a bow,but that was it. Oh they were there today.

Need to figure out what they want. We had the depths covered.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Think we washed every spoon we had.. My lucky half chrome/water melon didnt even produce. :excl:

Ran 10 lb main. That aint going to spook them, as it,s the same I run on Simcoe. :dunno:

I should have worded that better.... For years when it was real bad we didn't mark or catch anything. Doesn't matter what you run when there are no fish there... Its re bounded a bit the last couple years. Even so there are days when the fish just aren't around....

Now the past few weeks seems to be a lot around. Nice healthy salmon the ten pounders are capable of giving good battles. Yesterday was a good morning for me, but I did a lot of skunk mornings before I started to figure things out...

Don"t forget only one rod per angler in Georgian Bay.

wow...where are you seeing this? I know that the one rod rule applies when fishing through ice in parry sound harbour, but i have never heard of this regulation? I have even been on a guided trip and we were running two rods per.

I am just getting into downriggin for laketrout personally as the salmon fishing is terrible these days. Ive spent 30+ hours and only ever caught one salmon, hardly worth it.

A lot of people are talking about using braid as your mainline, I personally would advise against it as the spiny water flee problem is so ridiculous in the bay that I couldnt imagine what it would do to braid. Its a pain enough using Fluoro.

Edited by AKRISONER

wow...where are you seeing this? I know that the one rod rule applies when fishing through ice in parry sound harbour, but i have never heard of this regulation? I have even been on a guided trip and we were running two rods per.

You've never read the FMZ 14 regs I'm guessing? You're allowed two lines in zone 14 (Huron) but not Gbay.

Edited by BillM

ive read the reg 100x and never noticed that exception, holy crap thank god we never ended up installing the extra rod holders for the dipsey. Jeez!

Personally, not a huge fan of the layout of the fishing regs. The seperation of various rules is kind of confusing, and throwing in ads mid page makes for a mess.

Edited by AKRISONER

ive read the reg 100x and never noticed that exception, holy crap thank god we never ended up installing the extra rod holders for the dipsey. Jeez!

Personally, not a huge fan of the layout of the fishing regs. The seperation of various rules is kind of confusing, and throwing in ads mid page makes for a mess.

Just to clarify, one line per fisherman is not an exception; that is the standard regulation. Allowing the second line is an exception; so if the zone does not specifically state that you can use 2 lines then you are limited to 1 line.