Wacky rig vs weightless Texas rig…..

I have been having some success with the weightless Texas rig, however I am loosing a senko every fish. Any advice to avoid this?

Tonkpils, wanna clarify on what you mean by "loosing a senko" in more details? Do you mean it comes right off or the bait got torn?

Tonkpils, wanna clarify on what you mean by "loosing a senko" in more details? Do you mean it comes right off or the bait got torn?

It comes right off, it normally ends up about a foot up the line and eventually the line rips right through the senko before it gets to shore.

I have been fishing these for a while and I find that in clear water a natural color works best, grenns, browns. I'm stained water I like to go with solid black.

My goto this year has been the yamamoto's rainbow trout(I thnk its called?), its green on 1 side and pink on the other.

Yamamotos are the ONLY senko I use, I also use the o-ring but may try this heat-shrink now

Good read

Thanks

I have been fishing these for a while and I find that in clear water a natural color works best, grenns, browns. I'm stained water I like to go with solid black.

My goto this year has been the yamamoto's rainbow trout(I thnk its called?), its green on 1 side and pink on the other.

Yamamotos are the ONLY senko I use, I also use the o-ring but may try this heat-shrink now

Good read

Thanks

That colour would be watermelon, AKA #042 :)

OK.!!!.......Alright!!!!!....I'll give up a tip

But you guys ain't gittin nuthin for Christmas now

Actually I stumbled on this one----when I was looking for O-ring alternatives--never heard anyone else trying it---I told my buddy and my Bro's----but I've hurt enough fish now---I'll cough it up

Just remember ya heard it here 1st---and if ya ever meet me and I look thirsty....buy me a beer :)

"Electrical wire ties"....Ya can buy a pack of about 50 for a couple bucks---I use 4 inch ones-----loop it thru---put senko inside----and hook---not peircing the bait but just under the tie

Don't cinch it too tight---just right----catch bass day in and out----repeated fish on one bait

Oh yeah---clip the tag end of the tie off----of course

Here endeth the lesson :)

I am a big fan of the YUM Dingers. They are a bit tougher and quite a bit cheaper than the Senkos but catch just as many fish for me. I've also caught some jumbo perch and monster rockies in Simcoe with the 3". As for colours, they all work at one time or another, just switch up until you find the one the fish like best that particular day. I usually start out with pumpkin with red flakes. As for the heat shrink tubings, my daughter found some cheap on ebay for me. 99cents for a metre and free shipping.

OK.!!!.......Alright!!!!!....I'll give up a tip

But you guys ain't gittin nuthin for Christmas now

Actually I stumbled on this one----when I was looking for O-ring alternatives--never heard anyone else trying it---I told my buddy and my Bro's----but I've hurt enough fish now---I'll cough it up

Just remember ya heard it here 1st---and if ya ever meet me and I look thirsty....buy me a beer :)

"Electrical wire ties"....Ya can buy a pack of about 50 for a couple bucks---I use 4 inch ones-----loop it thru---put senko inside----and hook---not peircing the bait but just under the tie

Don't cinch it too tight---just right----catch bass day in and out----repeated fish on one bait

Oh yeah---clip the tag end of the tie off----of course

Here endeth the lesson :)

That's a good idea. It may add just that little bit extra weight over the oring but not enough to hurt the action.

I prefer to fish it weightless on a trokar wacky worm hook or gammy finesse wide gap. Does anyone here fish a wacky rig weighted?

I always run a bullet weight in front of my Texas rig and I am usually fishing the Texas in deeper water. For me the wacky is more of a shallow water rig (3-10 fow) and usually throwing to targets. Texas rig for open water, long casting/dragging.

That's a good idea. It may add just that little bit extra weight over the oring but not enough to hurt the action.

I prefer to fish it weightless on a trokar wacky worm hook or gammy finesse wide gap. Does anyone here fish a wacky rig weighted?

I always run a bullet weight in front of my Texas rig and I am usually fishing the Texas in deeper water. For me the wacky is more of a shallow water rig (3-10 fow) and usually throwing to targets. Texas rig for open water, long casting/dragging.

Once I overheard someone call me a "Smart Feller"....but it could have been 'Fart Smeller'

Anywho---yes it works good for me---you can also get ties in white ---o-rings are black alone

The picture I posted is of the inchi rig: a small jighead specifically designed for fishing wacky rigs deeper. Many of my biggest smallmouth have come on the inchi rig, sometimes as deep as 30'. It's much simpler than a dropshot, casts better, and doesn't result in line twist. It can be fished fairly aggressively as well: banging that tungsten jighead against deep rocks has brought some great fish to the boat.

I have never found an effective way to get this rig down to depths, Imay have to look into this inchi rig

I have fished the wacky style on a drop shot, but the are hard to cast and twist the line badly

You can do it with any jighead. The shorter the hook, the better. The Inchi heads - and other heads specifically designed for the technique - are almost like weighted circle hooks.

It comes right off, it normally ends up about a foot up the line and eventually the line rips right through the senko before it gets to shore.

Hey bud, what kind of hooks do you use mostly? Sometimes thinner-gauge hooks cut open the baits especailly for the more tender-textured senkos. Heavier gauge "superline" hooks might help with the problem somehow.

Just an idea based on the heat shink trick. If you're using any kind of offset hooks you might be able to wrap one on the senko right below the hook eye. Haven't tried it yet just something that came to mind.

Hey bud, what kind of hooks do you use mostly? Sometimes thinner-gauge hooks cut open the baits especailly for the more tender-textured senkos. Heavier gauge "superline" hooks might help with the problem someho

I use the Trokar 5/0 worm hooks. They seem to be a larger gauge than others I have used.

HE LIVES!! :tease:

Some pretty sound advice here..

And if your wacky rigged senkos are falling off too easy... Try a tighter loop. You might stretch em a little while threading them through, but done gingerly.. it helps release the salt!!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter