Minden Ontario Fly Fishing

jsmith1049

My name is James Smith. I am a store manager for The Orvis Co. in Asheville, NC. My grandparents have a cottage on 12 Mile Lake near Minden, ON. I will be arriving late on August 5th and leaving early August 9th. I have done some small mouth fishing on the lake in the past but was looking to see what else was available in the area. I am open to do pretty much anything that can be done wade fishing or out of a sit on top kayak. I will have a 4, 5, 6, and 8wt with me so will be able to target just about anything, I just need some advice on where to go. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to get up to the cottage in almost 4 years so I would love to make good use of my time. Thanks in advance for any help!

James here is a tool that might be useful for you.

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

Enter the species you wish to fish for and then Minden and how far your willing to go. Personally there are a lot of speckled trout lakes in the area a 8wt with a fast sinking tip or full sink line with large trout streamers down at @ 20-30 ft and you might hook up. Otherwise I'd probably go to Head Lake in Haliburton and fish for Muskie.

As mike says there is trout in the river and I believe further down there is a really good stretch for fly fishing I have seen guys fly fishing there before and I think there's brown trout as well in a section mike if I'm not mistaken ?? South of Scott's dam ?? But anywhere along that stretch of river you should have fun with a fly rod and lots of areas to hit too !!!! Good luck

As far as the trout fishing goes. What is the average size of the fish in the Gull?

They're stocked so most are small, 12-15". If you're lucky you'll catch a holdover. I've seen some 2-4lb fish from the Gull.

Mind you my info might be dated, it's been a while since I've fished it.

There's a district MNR office right in Minden, (705) 286-1521

If I were you I'd call them and ask to speak with a biologist. They're generally very helpful and will answer all your questions and point you in the right direction.