New Boat Down-rigger help.

Lucky Linda

Took the plunge on a new boat with my best friend and fishing partner.

Now I need to get the down-riggers on it. We had just bought new 'salty dogs' for the old boat so now comes the transfer of 'stuff'.

The new boat is an Alaskan (lund) and that model doesn't have the big wide rails. So they sell a mount to go into the track and support a board from side to side. However I would like to look at options. I have seen an angled iron piece that mounts at each back corner to support the down riggers.

They do say you can put the downriggers on the rail but not to exceed two feet with the rod. Ours are longer than 2. Just feels to me like sitting them up there with cannonballs etc it might be too heavy.

I would like to do it up right so i thought I would ask in here for suggestions or referrals.

I don't want a mess. Want it to be done right the first time.

Thanks in advance for any help

Linda

This was my solution.

3/16" Aluminum fastened with 'J' brackets and reinforced with 1" square tubing. I had previously used wood but it rotted. One advantage of the running a board or aluminum across the gunwales is that you have a place to attach rod holders, etc.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/tennis_pwn/media/P1010495.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I had originally planned on running tracks with Cannon rod holders; but, I like the way the Down East Salties work.

If you are not going to be using down riggers for all or most of your fishing, you may be able to jerry rig either a down rigger bracket or a removable plank with Scotty gunwale clamps.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/clamp-mount.htm

Edited by JohnBacon

Hi Tony!! How is the derby going!?

Thanks for the help! I called them and spoke to Dave. He told me not to run a board side to side across the back as the boat is designed to 'flex' thus why its so stable. I am learning lots! Rod holders are easy! It's the downriggers that are giving me a headache lol

Keep telling me what I need lol

Thanks!

Linda

image.jpg

I don't have a picture yet as I haven't picked up the boat yet.

It's an Alaskan so it doesn't have the big wide gunnels.

I am trying to figure out whether to go side to side or Cisco/ berts track ( 36" with 2 brackets ( 42%) and then adapter plates to the scotty electric down riggers.

Very unsure!

Thanks for all the help!

Linda

1. I don't think 2 brackets over 36" is enough

2. I still do not believe the side are really strong enough to support riggers without added supports

I have scottys on my lund and when I installed them on on the tracks, you could see the sides moving when you raise or lower the balls and again in rough conditionns

so I had to add the wood across the boat , which 100% solved the problem and I do believe you will find yours to be the same

1. I don't think 2 brackets over 36" is enough

2. I still do not believe the side are really strong enough to support riggers without added supports

I have scottys on my lund and when I installed them on on the tracks, you could see the sides moving when you raise or lower the balls and again in rough conditionns

so I had to add the wood across the boat , which 100% solved the problem and I do believe you will find yours to be the same

X2.

Mount the tracks on pedestals on the two rear "platforms" in each corner. You don't need long tracks for the riggers. Then mount your rod holders to the rails with another set of tracks, or trees etc. Soooo many options.

If its just the riggers your worried about, mount them in the back corners on pedestals off the tracks(which are mounted to the rear "platforms) and your good to go. Or mount the tracks on pedestals, and riggers to that.

The custom rails they make are sweet too. That way when your not riggin', you can take the whole set up off the boat....riggers, rodholders etc all in one shot.

Too many options to list really.

S.

If you go with a set of Scotty 1116/2116's you'll have integrated rod holders one less then to worry about. I'd also put them on pedestals, but make sure you don't put them too far back or else you'll be leaning over way too far. You'll want to mount them where you've got some good footing. I had to move our mounts forwards a bit because the previous owner decided to mount them on the very back of the gunwales(why he did this I'll never understand)

I had 6" wide brackets made of 3/16 Aluminum made for my crestliner, one for each side of the boat so I didn't have to run a rail across the back. I'll take a pic and send it to you.

Basically it's a three sided bracket 6" wide in the shape of a rectangle. Top side sits on the railing and comes back into the boat. Size of the top surface should be 1-2" larger than your downrigger base plate. Then 90 degree turn straight down to the deck. From here another 90 degree turn to provide a tie into the deck. Lots of options here but on mine I made them to fold back to the outside of the boat so the mounting bolts don't get in the way. On the underside of the deck I have another 3/16" piece of aluminum as a backer bracket. Everything is bolted together with 1/4" Stainless marine grade hardware

I run Cannon Mag 10 electrics with 12 lb weights and there is no movement at all.

I had 6" wide brackets made of 3/16 Aluminum made for my crestliner, one for each side of the boat so I didn't have to run a rail across the back. I'll take a pic and send it to you.

Basically it's a three sided bracket 6" wide in the shape of a rectangle. Top side sits on the railing and comes back into the boat. Size of the top surface should be 1-2" larger than your downrigger base plate. Then 90 degree turn straight down to the deck. From here another 90 degree turn to provide a tie into the deck. Lots of options here but on mine I made them to fold back to the outside of the boat so the mounting bolts don't get in the way. On the underside of the deck I have another 3/16" piece of aluminum as a backer bracket. Everything is bolted together with 1/4" Stainless marine grade hardware

I run Cannon Mag 10 electrics with 12 lb weights and there is no movement at all.

Sounds great Fang but the Alaskan doesn't have a wide enough gunnel. I will have to call today, but not even close to 6". That's the problem. I am sure there is a solution, just have to see if we can maybe put some kind of support or add an extra run of track to support it. It will be a lot easier once the boat is here.

I was hoping to know what I was doing so they could run my wiring and make a nice neat plug in for the down riggers and maybe change the ends ( which went to the battery) to plug ins. I am feeling the pressure of this part as I just want the boat! It feels like fall today and Its the long weekend so I am feeling the stress lol

Thanks for all the help!

Linda

If you go with a set of Scotty 1116/2116's you'll have integrated rod holders one less then to worry about. I'd also put them on pedestals, but make sure you don't put them too far back or else you'll be leaning over way too far. You'll want to mount them where you've got some good footing. I had to move our mounts forwards a bit because the previous owner decided to mount them on the very back of the gunwales(why he did this I'll never understand)

Bill I am going to look at this today. If I put a platform at the back, will it affect my covering of the boat maybe? Maybe they make it so I can remove easily?

Thanks for your advice! Can't wait till this is done!

Rather be fishing!

Linda