Choosing an engine for jeep gc

scugpg

Hi all, I've been researching the grand Cherokee and am having a tough time deciding what motor I would want if I went that route. The 3.6v6, 5.7v8, or 3l diesel.

I would be doing 90% city driving. Towing no more than 2500 lbs. Current boat is 1500 but just thinking for down the road someday. Test drove the V6 and it seems very good however not sure how it would be for towing. I was leaning toward the hemi but there is basically none out there which makes me think the V6 or diesel is a better option due to the hemi being so hard on gas.

Cost is basically +2500 for hemi, and another +2500 for the diesel so there is that to consider. I would put 10-12k on the car yearly.

So I'm looking for opinions on experience with the motors and even better with a gc with the motors.

Thanks

if you are only putting 10-12k per year and your max towing is 2500 you would never get your moneys worth on the upgraded engines

I I have the 3.6 in my jeep wrangler lots of power and runs great but I would love the diesel as I do about 40k per year

i have owned a 4.7 GC and now own a 3.0 diesel

the v8 is a hog on gas, especially in the city - on the hwy I got 20mpg if i kept it at or under 110 but city was much worse. the 5.7 will be even worse. it will pull up to 6000lbs i believe.

with the 3L diesel I get between 9-10L / 100 or about 24-25 mpg but that is mostly hwy again keeping it at or under 110, I'd expect about 18-20mpg mostly city. I am planning on flashing the ecu with a custom program that apparently improves efficiency 2mpg according to others who have used it. that should bump it up to 26-27mpg or 8.5 to 9L per 100. Diesel is cheaper in the summer that gas more expensive in the winter. the diesel is rated to tow 7500lbs. towing my tin can (just south of 1000lbs I'd guess) I get about 22-23mpg on the hwy which really impressed me. The diesel takes longer to warm up, and is propably not the choice if you do a lot of short runs.

i cant really comment on the v6, although I did tow about a 2500lb rig with my old regular cherokee - (4L straight 6 and much lighter than the GC) and felt that it was about the limit. the v6 in a heavier vehicle i think would struggle with 2500lbs.

i have owned a 4.7 GC and now own a 3.0 diesel

and is propably not the choice if you do a lot of short runs.

i cant really comment on the v6, although I did tow about a 2500lb rig with my old regular cherokee - (4L straight 6 and much lighter than the GC) and felt that it was about the limit. the v6 in a heavier vehicle i think would struggle with 2500lbs.

Lots of short runs would be typical. I guess that is my concern with the v6. Currently have an escape 3l v6 which is around 1000lbs lighter than the gc and it pulls the boat good, but have to step well into the pedal if I need power and it works hard. So adding .6l and a lot of weight makes me wonder how the gc v6 will pull upwards of 2000lbs though it's rated for over 6000 with the v6. Although the 8 speed would definitely help.

Also going to the V8 adds almost 300lbs to the car and the diesel another 100lbs on top of that.

Edited by Spooled

Given that you only put 10-12k a year on it, your fuel costs wouldnt be that bad with the v8. i put 3-4x that, so the diesel makes sense. i'd check what the tow capacity on the new v6 is too. i am familiar with the previous generation (2005-2011)

i'd give the new liberty a hard look too, same v6 but a lighter vehicle -- i think they're rated for 5000lbs.

Edited by Raf

I recently drove a '14 Ram with the 3.6 pentastar, and it's got plenty of jam even in the truck, which is likely much heavier than the GC. Plus it's rated to tow around 6500-7000 in the truck config. So I don't think you're losing out on much for your needs

There are so many more factors to an engine than just cylinders and displacement. Comparing the pentastar V6 to an old duratec V6 is apples to oranges. And comparing the old 4.7L V8 to the new Hemi 5.7L V8 is the same. The new hemi with cylinder deactivation can actually be pretty fuel efficient if you drive VERY carefully.

You also can't really use the excuse of fuel savings to purchase a diesel in this country. With the premiums they come with, you have to do a lot of driving to make that up. What you have to look at is what engine do you want to live with on a daily basis. The 3.0L diesel is an incredible engine. It's bulletproof and has gobs of torque not to mention fuel efficient (you take a hit on the sticker price but at least it feels nice to pay less down the road). And the downfalls of a diesel in the old weather are a thing of the past. The 3.0L will blow almost everything away when it comes to towing - even the Hemi. I'm not a big fan of the Hemi. It really is a garbage engine, especially if you abuse it. They've had nothing but problems with the VVT system and a lot of them burn oil with not a lot of miles on them. Chrysler got so tangled up in the horsepower wars that they forgot that people actually use these things as tow rigs and they forgot about the most important part... the torque! The poor torque converters have to work real hard in these trucks when they're towing their limits and they run HOT, even with the tow package with the external cooler and lower gearing. But it does heat up and starts pushing heat in next to no time in the winter. So if you're using it as a run about with nothing but short trips, that's probably a better option than the diesel. If all you do with the diesel is short trips and it never gets to warm up properly you'll never see the benefits of it. Even though the diesel cold weather issues are next to non-existent, they are still present. So if you're the kind of person to start up their car in -20deg weather and floor it onto the highway right away - you'll have to change your habits.

And as far as the pentastar... well... the only reason you'd opt for that engine is price. It's not very fuel efficient because it has to work so hard all the time and it's a super thrashy engine in the upper RPM's. And if you tow with it, you'll be using the top of the rev range a lot believe me.

So even if you tow a couple times a year and do any sort of highway driving I would go with the diesel even with the ridiculous primium they charge. It really is a sweetheart of an engine. The weight of the vehicle just disappears with the diesel. Mercedes knows how to make a bulletproof diesel!

i'd give the new liberty a hard look too, same v6 but a lighter vehicle -- i think they're rated for 5000lbs.

They don't make the Liberty anymore.

The 3.6 V6 has plenty of power.

In the Wrangler it's rated at 285 hp. I belive slightly higher in the Ram. 290 hp in the GC.

Many of the older V8 workhorse motors used for towing had less HP.

In my Wrangler I've towed about 1,500 lbs without hardly noticing it.

They don't make the Liberty anymore.

The 3.6 V6 has plenty of power.

In the Wrangler it's rated at 285 hp. I belive slightly higher in the Ram. 290 hp in the GC.

Many of the older V8 workhorse motors used for towing had less HP.

In my Wrangler I've towed about 1,500 lbs without hardly noticing it.

Hp sells cars torque moves them and pulls your toys. My 3l diesel only generates about 240 peak hp. But it has over 400lbft of torque starting at 2k rpms.

You will find the same if you compared the pentastar to even the old 4.7. More torque at lower rpms than the 6. Would you rather run on the hwy at 1.8k rpms or at 2.5k or higher

In order to make the 290hp in the 6 you have to rev the snot out of it making it work harder and consume more fuel.

They didnt even bother putting in a tow\haul mode in the diesel because it doesnt need to downshidft going up grades it has the torque to do it in top gear torque converter locked.

Edited by Raf

There are so many more factors to an engine than just cylinders and displacement. Comparing the pentastar V6 to an old duratec V6 is apples to oranges. And comparing the old 4.7L V8 to the new Hemi 5.7L V8 is the same. The new hemi with cylinder deactivation can actually be pretty fuel efficient if you drive VERY carefully.

You also can't really use the excuse of fuel savings to purchase a diesel in this country. With the premiums they come with, you have to do a lot of driving to make that up. What you have to look at is what engine do you want to live with on a daily basis. The 3.0L diesel is an incredible engine. It's bulletproof and has gobs of torque not to mention fuel efficient (you take a hit on the sticker price but at least it feels nice to pay less down the road). And the downfalls of a diesel in the old weather are a thing of the past. The 3.0L will blow almost everything away when it comes to towing - even the Hemi. I'm not a big fan of the Hemi. It really is a garbage engine, especially if you abuse it. They've had nothing but problems with the VVT system and a lot of them burn oil with not a lot of miles on them. Chrysler got so tangled up in the horsepower wars that they forgot that people actually use these things as tow rigs and they forgot about the most important part... the torque! The poor torque converters have to work real hard in these trucks when they're towing their limits and they run HOT, even with the tow package with the external cooler and lower gearing. But it does heat up and starts pushing heat in next to no time in the winter. So if you're using it as a run about with nothing but short trips, that's probably a better option than the diesel. If all you do with the diesel is short trips and it never gets to warm up properly you'll never see the benefits of it. Even though the diesel cold weather issues are next to non-existent, they are still present. So if you're the kind of person to start up their car in -20deg weather and floor it onto the highway right away - you'll have to change your habits.

And as far as the pentastar... well... the only reason you'd opt for that engine is price. It's not very fuel efficient because it has to work so hard all the time and it's a super thrashy engine in the upper RPM's. And if you tow with it, you'll be using the top of the rev range a lot believe me.

So even if you tow a couple times a year and do any sort of highway driving I would go with the diesel even with the ridiculous primium they charge. It really is a sweetheart of an engine. The weight of the vehicle just disappears with the diesel. Mercedes knows how to make a bulletproof diesel!

We have a winner, my 5.7 GC with MDS is getting 27 mpg hwy, on a recent trip from Peterborough to the Hammer, and about 16 to 17 in the city, the K@N air filter helps a bit, as well as regular maintenance, i tow a 17 foot deep V aluminum, i have heard of poor milage, but have also heard of owners getting really good milage from the 5.7, and ive also wondered with the smaller gas tank, and the more frequent fill ups, they feel the milage is not there, but whether they have ever done the math to accurately find out.

We have a winner, my 5.7 GC with MDS is getting 27 mpg hwy, on a recent trip from Peterborough to the Hammer

Thats UK gallon right? cause theres no way a 5.7 will get 27 miles per US gallon unless its aided by a serious tailwind and going downhill.

Just to put a bug in your ear look at the eco boost motors from Ford. I am not sure about the cost differences between Canada and the US but it is a motor that I am finding bridges the gap in torque and H.P. I am running the 3.5 in a full size king cab with 3.72 gear set and getting 16.7 mpg combined being semi nice to it.

Art

Just to put a bug in your ear look at the eco boost motors from Ford. I am not sure about the cost differences between Canada and the US but it is a motor that I am finding bridges the gap in torque and H.P. I am running the 3.5 in a full size king cab with 3.72 gear set and getting 16.7 mpg combined being semi nice to it.

Art

Looked at the Explorer sport and as much as I wanted a Ford and the v6 ecoboost is a beast in it, I'm not a fan of a few interior features (controls, seats) so had to look elsewhere which is unfortunate.

So basically 10k a year of driving, most tow trips would be 20 to 30min drive with a few 300km trips a year.

90% city driving with most trips being 5to 10 kms or so...engine wouldn't be getting warm a lot.

Based on that is the diesel likely not the ideal choice and I should consider the V6 or v8 gas?

Edited by Spooled

Thats UK gallon right? cause theres no way a 5.7 will get 27 miles per US gallon unless its aided by a serious tailwind and going downhill.

heh.

OP, I'd go with the standard V6. It will do the job just fine and return decent mileage with that 8 (or is it 9?)spd tranny.

What Bill said........ I have had 4 GC's......4L 6, V6 and 5.7L. Hated the 5.7. Having driven the 3L diesel that would be my engine of choice if I bought another, but I do more driving than you and pull heavier load. Having said that I drive a Crew Cab F150 with Ecoboost and love it. Great acceleration when you need it torque up the wazzoo and will pull more than I will ever need. Pretty nice interior for you SUV drivers too.

Hated the 5.7.

What didn't you like about it? I'm still interested to see how it feels with the 8spd but can't imagine it makes much of a difference on mileage. I test drove a 2012 overland with a 5.7 and couldn't tell much difference from the 3.6 was not impressed. However that was with a 5spd tranny.

I found the 5.7 VERY overrated performance wise especially when you take into consideration the terrible gas mileage. My fuel consumption with the F150 Eco doesn't change whether the boat is on the back or not.

I think with the new pentastar 6, you will be fine for your purposes. 95% of the time you are driving, not towing. The other 5% when you are towing, you should be fine. It has lots of power to pull what you currently have. The hemi, while it sounds awesome and has tons of power is a pig on fuel, anytime you press down on the fun pedal yhe gas gauge moves towards E accordingly. The diesel would be nice but you do not drive enough to make it worthwhile, a commuter driving 30k plus a year would see the difference and benefit from it. Why dont you rent a grand cherokee for a day and try towing with it?? That way you will see for yourself.

I have the diesel in the RAM 1500. Same motor, but with the 8 Speed (compared to the 9 in the Cherokee). Love it (but I am also biased towards diesel). I have taken the Cherokee out with the diesel (had to test it there, as the trucks were not available at the lots yet).

If it were me, I would buy it with the Diesel.

Sit down and do some rough mileage estimates per year and per week. Then look at your fuel costs both gas and diesel. The savings will add up quicker than you think, and more than pay for the additional diesel charge. Note too that if you tow a lot, the diesel will also break even at lot faster (case in point - my last tow 500+ KM's came in at 24MPG - no way you will get that with a gas motor).

Final thought - resale value. Diesel will also win that hands down. The diesel does have some downsides, noteably the emissions equipment - but that is what the warranty is for (I went 6 years).

But at the end of the day, all is based on opinions. The right vehicle for you - is the one you research, test, and decide to buy.

Tupelo has a good point about resale. Look at the heavy duty truck used market - anything without a diesel simply doesn't even sell. The diesels are the only ones people are looking for on the hard market.

It's showing even with the last gen Cherokees with the CRD. The overland people are snatching up the used ones like crazy! If you have a CRD Cherokee with the QD2 off road package it will sell in a couple hours if you post it on the right forum.

The v6 pentestar gets the job done from what u describe. The 8 sp in the gc no matter what engine keeps you pulling good.

The hemi is bulletproof regardless of what people think see 20 a day for servicing the 3.6 exhaust valve issue seems to be cleared up, no heads on 14's so far only one 13 the eco diesel only sold two so far and only one had to be towed back for security issue. Buy an awful lot of fuel for the 5k difference in engine costs let alone extra cost of maintenance on a diesel unless your doing dedicated towing.

Thanks all. Checked some forums and some reports of 8spd transmission issues on the V6 model. The V8 and diesel use a different version and appears solid. I'll do some more research and test drive all 3. Imagine it will come down to the 6 or 8cyl in the end based on my needs and much appreciated input on the models.