What is this fish?

stendec

Real Man Soup Recipe

1 cup of Detroit River Sheepshead (cubed...gutted optional)

1/2 cup of warm July pike slime

3 cups of 2 day old minnow bucket water

3 tsb of craw claws from the bottom of the livewell

1/2 tsp of gunpowder

Serves 4 in a well ventilated area :)

Saltwater drum (like redfish) aren't bad. No idea what the freshwater ones are like.

Funny though how "poor man's lobster" is always a terribly ugly fish. The other "poor man's lobster" is monkfish, and it's really tasty.

Burbot is another.

Sheepshead breaded and filleted are actually pretty good, SOMETIMES, I would eat that one in a second! It doesn't look like it is over two pounds and the scales have the blue green shine to them along the back. If they have been in muddy water they loose that shine and start to taste muddy, also if they get too big I've found they can not taste as good. Detroit river... pass! St.Clair or Erie... depends on the scale colour.

They seem to move around and fishing with my dad in Lake Erie you could catch the "white scale" ones (been in the mud and they will taste muddy) and the "green scale" ones (been in the colder clean water) fishing in the same spot and you can get to spot the differences pretty easy. Cook a "white" one and you won't want to cook another, it tastes muddy, cook a "green" one and you will probably still prefer perch but you won't be upset.