Husky Jerk Hog-Tie

Eazy

Well, every avid angler knows the effectiveness of the Husky Jerk, but I seem to have a very annoying problem when fishing them with leaders.... every other cast the leader gets tangled on the front treble....GRRRR!

Any other anglers experience this, and what did they do to remedy this problem?

Husky jerks are good baits but I find they don't cast as well as some of the newer baits on the market. Many of the new designs have internal weights that shift to the rear of the lure when casting. Old style baits have a wilder uncontrolled flight when cast. The new generation of baits all fly like bullets and pull the line off the reel. Tail first with very little wobble. I'd suggest trying out some xraps, live target smelts, even vision 110's or the rc stx 110. They might tangle from time to time but nothing like a husky jerk.

Thin tieble titanium leaders or 50- 100 pound flouro will take care of the problem. I also believe that the barrel swivel creates the front hooks to tangle. I find some of the newer style of suspending jerk baits tangle more due to the side to side action.

Thanks for the tips!......Yah, as mentioned by other anglers, this problem seems to be pretty much secluded to Husky Jerks, as this never seems to happen with the X-Rap, and also the leader which I was using was a very thin one, but had a pretty good sized barrel swivel up front which may very likely would've contributed to the hog-tie issue!

True the Husky Jerk isn't the best caster by today's standards, but I think they are more versatile in the fact that they are also a good trolling bait as well......wish they still made them in the old OCW color pattern!