Fishing around Ottawa

RoyF

There is a pile of good shore fishing in Ottawa. The rideau can suck unless you're around the locks south of Hunt Club - between there and Manotick has good fishing from the shore. Hogs back has water that is too deep or too fast, and there's no access to it via shore north to the Ottawa river.

The Ottawa River is good - you can access it basically everywhere on the Ontario side - but from Parliament to Island park is a conservation/redevelopment area where fishing is not allowed. At Island Park is a bridge over Bate island, which has some good fishing if you can grab a spot, and the kyakers/canoers/rogue bird-feeders aren't around.

West of Island Park, you can access the whole shore past Westboro Beach all the way to Andrew Hayden park. I believe there's a mariner on the way there too.

East of Parliament, there are some islands too.. the name escapes me at the moment, I don't fish there, but they are Pelee island or something similar.

To the south, there is the Jock River in the Barrhaven area that runs from the Rideau River in the East, to Richmond in the West and has access points at Woodroffe, Jockvale (skip this one), Greenbank (Half-moon bay), Cedarview (better for a canoe), a few back roads, and Eagleson. All types of fish - bass, pickeral, pike, musky (I've fished this river/creek a lot).

I've never fished the canal, but there seem to always be people doing just that, from Dow's lake to parliament.

Good luck! I hope it helps.

Petrie island is the one east of Parliament hill, and there is some shore access fishing there. Victoria island is a favorite for shore anglers and west is the island park bridge where you can wade and cast for brown trout and many other species. Brittania beach area and the Nepean sailing club by the lighthouse is a good spot. The Rideau river as mentioned by the Bronson bridge (Brewer park) has good access as does the Mill in Manotick. The Jock river by the overpasses has some action from what I've heard as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I have fished many of the spots you all mentioned. Just never had luck. Kars was my favorite place but never caught anything. I went fishing on the Quebec side yesterday, and caught a lot of small bass but that was it, But were they ever biting!