Upper Niagara Parking/Launches?

leaf4

Hey all,

just set up my first Muskie combo and being where I am the closest spot for me to go fishing for them often would be the upper niagara.

I haven't had a chance to get out there yet but if anyone can lead me in the right direction in terms of where to go I can figure it out from there I'm sure.

either shore fishing or somewhere I can launch my scanoe would be perfect and would help me out greatly (after this weekend I'll probably be there most weekends haha!)

1747447B-30C4-4ED9-B70F-59A49C3110B5.jpg

4D4B085D-3062-475D-9939-FB64572E388C.jpg

17BD8F59-78E3-4FCA-A7B8-058DEBD69D79.jpg

i wouldnt launch a canoe in the river...its a very fast river....i was surprised i was doin 7mph ....be careful out there

Im assuming that because he's using a scanoe that he has a motor. I have found on most days I can move upriver just using my trolling motor in most places. So hopefully he'll be alright.

Thanks for the heads up and yes I have a 4hp for it so it hums along nicely with lots of get up and go on a 100lb scanoe haha I haven't clocked my speed In it yet but I will probably get out in hamilton harbour before I get out there so I can see what I actually do in terms of speed

I think what everyone is saying and I concur, that river is not the place for anything like you have. I was out there when I was a kid out of North Tonawanda with my cousin in a 14 footer and a 9.9. When it stalled and wouldn't start we both freaked. Someone saw us and towed us in, and he gave us sh#t.

There are heavy fines for fishing on the US side without all the required licences for a Canadian vessel, and they don't care how small it is. They patrol that river everyday waiting for you to cross the unmarked line. I know you can't wait to use that beauty outfit you have, why not take the ride to Scugog, your rig would be nice there. Be smart.

I don't think you will ever have the same luck fishing from shore for Musky as in a boat. We used to fish the shoreline of Strawberry Island for musky or Beaver Island from shore though, but never saw one. Both are in US water.

So I'll probably end up taking my dad's boat then haha I'll probably make a casting deck up for it similar to that of what the bassassins dude have rigged up as it's a 16' tinny but should do the trick and I'm used to using it anyway

Just from a tourist's view along the Niagara Parkway? It would take a lot for me to go out in that river with out a properly powered boat.

Your absolutely right Paul, it's a nice river but can get nasty sometimes and if your not properly set up it can be downright dangerous. We we're trolling for musky by the railway bridge near the Peace Bridge in an 18' glass boat one December when the water boiled up underneath the boat and spun us nearly around.

Smaller boat could have been very bad.

Edited by lew

Lew I used to stop on my trips to the Falls at the parking areas along the parkway for a look. A beautiful river, but I was sort of surprised at the current, nothing in my area to compare it to. A certain amount of respect for the waters you fish prevents accidents?