Algonquin Park Fishing - where to go?

Doctrt

Hey All,

Just got back from fishing Arrowhead Provincial Park. While beautiful, fishing the lakes themselves was somewhat disappointing with a few bass caught here and there. The best fishing that we experienced was was at the foot of Stubbs Falls. Drifting a worm under a float (steelhead style) produced 1-3 lb bass one after another while a spinner cast downstream produced a surprise snot rocket. Action was non-stop which was just what I was looking for with four kids (and one rookie adult) to entertain.

image.jpg

I'd like to do one more trip that's a little more scenic, hopefully where I can get into some brookies, bows, or lakers, and possibly see a moose or two. Once again, we'll have a canoe. I've done some research on Kiosk, Brent, Tea, Cannisbay, Mew, Pog, Kearney, Lake of two rivers, Rock and Coon. Lakes. While I recognize the best trout fisheries are on the interior, this is not yet an option with two small kids in tow. Any first hand info on these lakes/parks or suggestions as to where to go would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately, my dates (mid to late August) are still available for all these sites. Thanks

T

Edited by Doctrt

Brent is absolutely gorgeous and one of the quieter sites with it being way up north. Campsite number 5 and 6 are really private and have perfect water access. Water is nice and shallow, perfect for launching a canoe or small boat. There's also a mini beach right beside them, great for kids. Make sure your vehicle has 4x4 though. There was lots of construction being done on the dirt road and a bridge being built on the long gravel road to the campsite from the highway. The bypass had just been freshly rained on so it was nice and mushy! Had to lock in 4x4 and power through it as I was towing a trailer and even with aggressive all-terrain tires I was sliding around. Fun if you like that kinda thing but I know some people don't. I thought it was great fun but I regularly off-road my car so that's nothing for me. Hopefully all that construction is done by now though and it should be clear sailing.

I didn't get to do a lot of fishing but my girlfriend caught more with a simple worm on a hook than I did with a load of lures. But I was fishing blind with no depth finder or anything, we were mostly just out there for the view and to relax. There are apparently trout and pickerel in the lake, but we didn't see or find any. We weren't exactly trying very hard though.

Edited by Wagoneer

Most of the campgrounds along highway 60 will be pretty busy through august from my experience. I found the lake at cannisbay, lake of two rivers and rock lake to be a tough go during the summer. Lots to do though, plenty of hiking trails and I highly recommend the public wolf howl!